Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hawkeye STi Post warranty problems?

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2010, 12:52 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye STi Post warranty problems?

Hi all

The warranty for my Spec D PPP is about to expire at the end of the month having done 54k and am wondering if it is worth extending it. I think the cost is around £1,000 per year to extend it up to 5 years or 100k overall.

Has anyone had any serious problems on the higher mileages? ie over 3 years or 50k. Not too worried about suspension as I have the Stage 3 AST kit by Powerstation which wouldn't be covered anyway.
Old 19 March 2010, 01:08 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

The worst thing that could happen would be that your engine goes bang. What is the cost of that relative to the £1k a year and then what is the likelyhood of that happening to a well maintained engine.

Personally, I'd save my money. However, having said that I wouldn't buy a turbo car like an Impreza with the intention of doing a lot of miles in it. You'll likely need some serious work at around the 100k mark anyway.
Old 19 March 2010, 10:29 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

£1000 for 1 year is astronomical.
A full rebuild with uprated components comes in around £2500 to £3000
Of my 3 Scoobs, none have had any mechanical issues. The one I sold at 49k was fine, the one before that at 42k with no issues. Current one 30k again no issues. All have been slightly modded, but religiously serviced every 6 months with Millers oil.
I'd put the money to one side ..
Old 19 March 2010, 11:46 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Even if you have for the warranty, there is nothing that guarantees they will pay out. £1k a year could be better spent IMHO.
Old 20 March 2010, 12:41 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

My Spec D is just over 3 years old (Nov 2006) and has just gone through 96,000.

The extended warranty which I took out near the end of the second year (just before the 60,000 mile threshold) cost me £560 and extended it for another 12 months with unlimited mileage. It was well worth it. The head gasket went at 75000 and the water pump was replaced as well. Should have got the struts done as well, but didn't get chance before the warranty ran out.

Its like any insurance, its always a gamble, and if you dont need it you'll think its a waste of money - for me it saved me about £1500 and I had the reassurance it was there. Don't forget extending the warranty also extends your Subaru assistance cover which will run out at the end of your warranty, so factor in the extra cost of RAC/AA/Green Flag cover as well.

You can extend just the Subaru Assistance if you wish, without extending the warranty.

Hope that helps.

Gareth