ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

First Scooby testdrive this morning - expert advice required

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2001, 06:56 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Testdrove my first Scooby this morning that is within my £9000 price range. Forgotten how bloody fast these things are - whew

Car in question is a UK Turbo, MY95, Red, FSH, 75,000 miles, MY00 spoiler, colour-coded skirts, 3 owners, Subaru approved.

Condition is not bad though there has been a bad repair/spray job on the rear o/s door. Dealer (Subaru main) have said they will sort it. UK MY95 interior is pants as always.

Had a drive and the engine felt good. However the gear lever felt a bit..how can I say...sloppy. I struggled a few times to engage the gears - is this common? I do currently have a brand new Primera (co car) with tight gearbox so that doesn't help.

Also, brakes were not brilliant, and not much room behind wheel though I am a fat b4stard!!!!

The clutch biting point was well up as well - had to lift it about 2-3" to engage bite - is this common for this sort of mileage? Will it need replacing?

So what do you think all? Do I go for it or keep looking for a cleaner version? I had decided to keep away from imports due to cost of SUL etc, but they do seem cheaper, better equipped, and nicer condition. I know the price limit is low for a Scoob but I need a good one for my first car. They did offer me 12 months MOT and 6000 mile warranty though as well as £500 discount. They have had it in for 3 months

DW
Old 03 March 2001, 07:10 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

I would seriously go and look at an import, my friend had a 96 UK car and to be honest wasn't a patch on my MY94 WRX import in terms of interior, condition, equipment level and performance.

(yes I have anti-flame enabled )

nothing against uk cars but I just liked the import better...
Old 03 March 2001, 07:56 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dream Weaver,

I drive a UK MY95 with 75000 on the clock. Clutch biting point is high on my car, though I've had the car nearly three years now and the clutch feels little different to 30000 miles ago.

Brakes have a fair amount of slack to take up but this seems to be a common complaint. I have the brake fluid changed every year rather than every two just to make sure it gets no worse.

As for the gear change I know what you mean. A quick change from 2nd to 3rd can lead to you trying to push the lever half way between 1st and 3rd. I fitted a Momo gearknob in January and this shortens the lever quite a bit. Result is much better feel to the change and haven't missed a gear since.

The engine still feels just as strong as when I first had the car.

If you want any more info let me know.
Old 03 March 2001, 08:14 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

I had a MY95 for 3 years prior to changing it to a MY98 just over 2 years ago. The MY95 was a very good car but the I would strongly recommend looking out for a high mileage MY97 or preferably MY98 (cost allowing). You get the improved seats with the MY97 as well as the smaller turbo engine (same power, more torque and most importantly much less turbo lag). The MY98 had minor improvements to the engine and a major interior overhaul (new fascia, Momo steering wheel,etc).

The biting point of clutches on all scoobies is high so I don't think this means that the clutch is worn. The gearbox (in the MY95) does feel a little loose and this was the case from new. The gearbox feel in newer cars (MY98 onwards) is much better.
The brakes on scoobies always feel a little spongy apparently due to a 2 stage servo. Standard brakes get alot of stick on this bbs but I think they're ok, unless you're planning using the car for track use.

D.

[This message has been edited by DJB (edited 03 March 2001).]
Old 03 March 2001, 11:46 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Hey dreamy big boy! Is it the one at K T Greens per chance? I saw one there and was a little unsure what to make of it, I think the interior put me off the most.
Bob
Old 04 March 2001, 03:30 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bobby T - Certainly was

Went with my dad yesterday - he wasn't keen as he says it looks like a standard saloon He doesnt understand though.

I wasnt sure about it either to be honest - it drove OK but didn't have that 'I want it' feel if you know what I mean. The interior is horrible as well - I think I may up the budget by another grand and try and get a late 97 model

DW
Old 04 March 2001, 05:42 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

If it doesn't have that "I want it" feeling then you've probably got some doubts about the car. All I can say is just dont rush into anything just because its there and you want one. Take time to mull it over and remember there's a lot of others out there to be seen.
Chip.