ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Which breakdown company

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2010, 01:47 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which breakdown company

I have been with the AA for years and for me and the wife it costs £144.
Are the likes of Tesco/Asda [Greenflag] any good as they are alot cheaper?
Old 04 April 2010, 03:50 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I shopped around last year and found some cheaper companies than AA/ RAC. I found some services missing eg. No recovery after an accident or pay the subcontractor and recover the cost later.
I got my RAC renewal last November at £150. I bartered them down to £103 for Rescue Recovery and at Home.
Its worth telling them you're going elsewhere and seeing what they offer.
Old 04 April 2010, 05:19 PM
dagger
Scooby Regular

I was with RAC for 10 years, but then 1 year i broke down, my little girl was really poorly, and it took several (lots) of phone calls and 3 hrs for them to get to me, not very happy, so changed to greenflag, cheaper and since i've used them had really good service, dead friendly people
Old 04 April 2010, 09:38 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I think Greenflag will be the best option then.
Old 05 April 2010, 12:18 AM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

ADAC. And if you take your car out of the UK at all then it's a no brainer. €79.00 for full europe wide cover that is second to none. Only drawback is having to speak to germans but they speak english pretty well. They use the AA in the UK.

Signed up last october and have used them a couple of times. Great value.
Old 05 April 2010, 06:52 AM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Avoid the RAC, hadc too many problems with them, i would recommend the AA all day long!!!
Old 05 April 2010, 07:31 AM
sy.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harryr34
Avoid the RAC, hadc too many problems with them, i would recommend the AA all day long!!!
i think its just down to personal experiences ive had probs with the AA (was going to try to tow AWD with two wheels up/two coasting )so changed to the rac 3 years ago and have had no probs not the cheapest but on par with levels of service when you think i will never need that untill you do!!!

Trending Topics

Old 05 April 2010, 08:33 AM
sti69
Scooby Regular

I was with the RAC for several years until i broke down 150miles from home and because i had the basic recovery of only 10mile radius (which i didnt realise) it cost me £200 to get the car home, so after waiting nearly 2 hours for this tow truck to come. I phoned them back up and told them where it is and the RAC had no knowledge of it (the RAC man told them he fixed the car - although the clutch had burnt out ).

Anyway after waiting another hour for the truck to come, i got an phone call of the tow truck company asking where the car is because he cannot find it. Apparently the RAC gave the wrong location of where the car is, ie. 50miles in the other direction so had wait another hour for the truck to find me again.

Basically it had taken me 7hours in November and in the early hours to get me and my family home. I come from an big family and all did have memberships with the RAC, until they knew what happened so they have all binned the RAC for good.

This happened in 2008 and i still havnt had an apology of them

Anyway rant over, im now with IC Breakdown and for £29 a year these will recover your car anywhere in the UK and tow it home for you and yes ive read the small print this time
Old 05 April 2010, 10:52 AM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

It really depends on who you get - I've been with the RAC and AA in the past and had positive experiences with both. I've also had some less than satisfacory service from AA in the past but that was on a snowy Chirstmas eve so they were VERY busy.
Old 05 April 2010, 10:58 AM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

im with the aa , and it covers 2 cars for £150 per year , thats home start, recovery, stay mobile and what ever else , also this covers the first £500 worth of work on the subaru at any garage . i had a mate look over the cover and he said it covers loads and is well worth it

i only had cover 4 weeks and needed a exhaust sender , got towed to subaru and the aa payed for the work £378 all i had to pay was the first £25
so its payed for its self (you can claim up to 5 times per year too )

stu
Old 05 April 2010, 11:00 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I'm with the A.A and have used them many, many times. I to was paying around £140 per year for me and my partner, I phoned them last week and basically asked for a 25% discount as I had seen that my company offer that discount for new members, he didn't even ask for any details just gave me the discount. Well worth a try.
Old 05 April 2010, 11:02 AM
chris28
Scooby Regular

i am with the aa same cover as stuart and seems a good deal
Old 05 April 2010, 11:51 AM
baser999
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by arumdevil
ADAC. And if you take your car out of the UK at all then it's a no brainer. €79.00 for full europe wide cover that is second to none. Only drawback is having to speak to germans but they speak english pretty well. They use the AA in the UK.

Signed up last october and have used them a couple of times. Great value.
I'm with ADAC as well - since you're living outside of Germany you effectively get Europe cover automatically, all for 79euro. I believe they're the biggest recovery service in Europe and that they're the preferred recovery service at The Ring which might be worth considering if you're planning a run. Members booklet ( which is in English) and their website suggests they provide a good repatriation service.
Down side is that their first language is German but never had any problem in getting an English speaker on line when I was joining. Oh yeah, their magazine is in German which is a shame since its a much better-looking publication than the ones I used to get from AA etc. If only I could read it
If you're not keen on the idea of a German company, have a look at GEM.

Last edited by baser999; 05 April 2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05 April 2010, 12:30 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work for the AA and usually if you ask (within reason) you get like... with regard to discounts etc.

... and the £500 parts and labour service they do is WELL worth it

Did I mention i have an 'AA' tattoo on my chest??
Old 05 April 2010, 01:02 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M4RKG

Did I mention i have an 'AA' tattoo on my chest??

I hope you're kidding!
Old 05 April 2010, 01:08 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why like? Is that not the norm?

I do regret my days as a teenager working in McDonalds like, i've got chicken nuggets tattoo'd across my knuckles and "I'm Lovin' It" across my forehead
Old 05 April 2010, 01:12 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

:
Old 05 April 2010, 01:17 PM
SCOOBY13.5
Scooby Regular

I'm with the AA through my Lloyds/TSB Premier account. I pay £25 a month, it has FULL AA cover and you get a courtesy car for a few days for FREE after they have recovered you!!! But theres loads of other stuff in with the deal, not just AA cover. Its a unbelievable package if any of you's are with Lloyds/TSB.

Full AA cover
2 Mobile phone insurance covers(mine and the wifes) I have IPhone and everywhere wants £12.99 just for that!
Household heating and plumbing
Free holiday insurance
Discounted holidays
FREE airport VIP area to include free drinks and snacks(yes includes beer)
Plus loads more

Steve
Old 05 April 2010, 02:21 PM
C8 DHC 04WRX
Scooby Regular

If you use your Tesco clubcard points you can get RAC cover really cheap
Old 05 April 2010, 02:43 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C8 DHC 04WRX
If you use your Tesco clubcard points you can get RAC cover really cheap
Just what I was going to mention. I'm with the RAC and I've been very satisfied with them every time I've used them (3 times in as many years).
As Sy mentioned earlier; "i think its just down to personal experiences"
Old 05 April 2010, 06:28 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sti69
I was with the RAC for several years until i broke down 150miles from home and because i had the basic recovery of only 10mile radius (which i didnt realise) it cost me £200 to get the car home, so after waiting nearly 2 hours for this tow truck to come. I phoned them back up and told them where it is and the RAC had no knowledge of it (the RAC man told them he fixed the car - although the clutch had burnt out ).

Anyway after waiting another hour for the truck to come, i got an phone call of the tow truck company asking where the car is because he cannot find it. Apparently the RAC gave the wrong location of where the car is, ie. 50miles in the other direction so had wait another hour for the truck to find me again.

Basically it had taken me 7hours in November and in the early hours to get me and my family home. I come from an big family and all did have memberships with the RAC, until they knew what happened so they have all binned the RAC for good.

This happened in 2008 and i still havnt had an apology of them
n
Anyway rant over, im now with IC Breakdown and for £29 a year these will recover your car anywhere in the UK and tow it home for you and yes ive read the small print this time
I had a similar experience with the RAC, broke down 60 miles away from home and didnt realise i had the basic cover, ended up waiting 4 hours for a recovery truck and was handed a bill of £150+ the value added and then again i upgraded my membership after that to include homestart and all the other options only for them to turn around and refuse to transport the car from my house to a garage of my choice! I ended up cancelling my membership and went with the AA, it was cheaper and they had no problems transporting the car