ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

should i jump ship. ? .

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2010, 07:38 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HT04
the one post i never wanted to post. lol. i love my scoob. the power, the noise, the looks, etc etc etc. but, im looking at the subaru network, rising parts cost, crap stock, dealers closing blah blah blah,....and the running costs of the scoob. ridiculous. with rising petrol prices and tax.

i honestly can see it being a pain in the bum in a few years to get parts, servicing etc.

more and more people seem to be selling their scoobs and for not much money. will the prices rise again or are they going to keep falling. the values of scoobs has gone through the floor as far as im concerned.

modern cars seem to be just as quick as scoobs and with diesel being so damn economical, it makes sense to be in a diesel at the moment.

im just thinking that i get just as much enjoyment out of other cars and im concerned that in a couple of years, my scoob is going to be worthless, and im goinng to have to beg someone to take it off my hands.

should i sell while i still have a chance ? how do others feel with the current situation. ? .

dan

dan im keeping mine for another 18 months then selling it and buying a frozen white zetec s fiesta for the missus and a vectra vxr for me
Old 25 April 2010, 07:45 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I recently sold my Spec C and got myself a BMW 535d M Sport

It is much more comfortable,cheaper to run,35+ mpg and every bit as quick on the motorway.I don't miss my scooby at all,all you hear about these days are engines going pop,every chav and his mate buying one and street racing.I think i may have finally grown up
Old 25 April 2010, 08:21 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

you never grow up im nearly 40 and bought another one keep it, **** the rising costs its the pleasure of driving it for yourself not what others think or have got !
Old 25 April 2010, 08:34 PM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

The market is a bl@ody nightmare at the moment, I have my 06 hawkeye wrx full ppp for 7650 on pistonheads and have not had 1 phone call in 23 days :-( started at 9k but quickly realized my error with others around that year going much cheaper. Good luck if you do decide to sell :-£.

Regards

Neil 06 2.5 WRX PPP
Old 25 April 2010, 08:40 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mod it, you'll soon be back in love with it. Plus its a quest to see how far you can go, and exciting at the same time.
Old 25 April 2010, 09:04 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

depends what you use your scooby for HTO4?
I mean if its a daily driven car and you do alot of miles to work etc then Id definatly change it.
Old 25 April 2010, 09:08 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Sell it Dan. You never use it for what it was designed for anyway, it will only continue to lose value and running costs wont get any cheaper.
I wouldn't be concerned about not being able to get parts with the size of the aftermarket tuning scene.
It doesn't have anything to do with growing up, only deciding what you want a car for. If you don't use or enjoy the performance then why suffer the expense?
Old 25 April 2010, 09:08 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

double post.
Old 25 April 2010, 09:15 PM
speights
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leecalcars
you never grow up im nearly 40 and bought another one keep it, **** the rising costs its the pleasure of driving it for yourself not what others think or have got !
HI
+1 Slightly older but totally agree. All the modifications I have done to mine over the past couple of years are for my own enjoyment and resale just doesn't come into it. I just love the car - the street racing ,chav c*ap doesn't bother me.
Old 25 April 2010, 09:20 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

i agree Jim
if you dont drive it Dan
then why keep it
had you joined us today i am sure your love for the scoob would be there
i think you should buy a classic(not scoob)
keep that tucked up in your garage for dry days
and clean to your hearts content
Old 25 April 2010, 09:24 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim is spot on Dan, I think you've ticked the scooby box and could get similar enjoyment from just about any car. Pete's comment about a classic is spot on, maybe a moggie minor, or more seriously a nice TR6 or something.

Me, a couple more years and I'll sell up too, but I'm just waiting for the savimgs to equal the price of an F360
Old 25 April 2010, 09:25 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a Corsa Sport recently due to the Impreza costing so much to use everyday.
The Cosra is brilliant, cost very little to run, don't have to worry about speed bumps/potholes, don't get idiots trying to race me, and is still fun to drive. Kept thinking to myself that i didn't miss the Impreza at all.
Pretty much what all other people on here say when they sell their Imprza's and get sensible cars.

HOWEVER...... i still kept the Impreza, and after 3-4 weeks of it sitting there i took it out for a spin. WOW!!!

I then realised how much i'd missed it, and there is no way i'd choose to sell the Impreza to replace it with a sensible car.

The sensible car will certainly seem like a good idea, and will seem great even when you are driving it. But you'll definately miss the Impreza, no matter how much you think you won't.

Last edited by Moley; 25 April 2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 25 April 2010, 09:29 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Jim is spot on Dan, I think you've ticked the scooby box and could get similar enjoyment from just about any car. Pete's comment about a classic is spot on, maybe a moggie minor, or more seriously a nice TR6 or something.

Me, a couple more years and I'll sell up too, but I'm just waiting for the savimgs to equal the price of an F360
austin healy or sunbeam tiger
and a pipe and slippers Dan

Last edited by Budgie; 25 April 2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo Jon lol
Old 25 April 2010, 09:30 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Budgie
austin healy or sumbeam tiger
to go with your pipe and slippers Dan
Editted for accuracy
Old 25 April 2010, 09:38 PM
thompl33
Scooby Regular

Sell it!

The new owner will adore it and thank you for how well you have kept it!

Then after a couple of weeks you will then watch another drive by with that un-mistakable exhaust note then buy another one!

Enjoy the roller-coaster!

I have!
Old 25 April 2010, 11:05 PM
scoobzie
Scooby Regular

keep it or you will regret it
Old 26 April 2010, 12:17 AM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I bought a Corsa Sport recently due to the Impreza costing so much to use everyday.
The Cosra is brilliant, cost very little to run, don't have to worry about speed bumps/potholes, don't get idiots trying to race me, and is still fun to drive. Kept thinking to myself that i didn't miss the Impreza at all.
Pretty much what all other people on here say when they sell their Imprza's and get sensible cars.

HOWEVER...... i still kept the Impreza, and after 3-4 weeks of it sitting there i took it out for a spin. WOW!!!

I then realised how much i'd missed it, and there is no way i'd choose to sell the Impreza to replace it with a sensible car.

The sensible car will certainly seem like a good idea, and will seem great even when you are driving it. But you'll definately miss the Impreza, no matter how much you think you won't.
thats the way to do it, i have a tdi clio so getting back into the scooby feels like a rocket ship. 65mpg and fun in the scooby
Old 26 April 2010, 02:29 AM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

I felt like this a few years back so sold my scoob and bought a Vetra DTI which was a great car, nice comfy cheap to run and pulled very well for a diesel but after 6wks i missed the scoob so i got rid of the DTI and got my current Type RA .....it wasnt just the speed but the sound and the raw feel of the classic impreza i was missing, the new car was just too civilised and driving became boring

You dont know what you have got ontell it is gone, the grass isnt always greener
Old 26 April 2010, 10:09 AM
Guv
Scooby Regular

If I'm honest, I agree with Jim and Budgie, no point keeping a 300hp 4wd sports car in the garage and not driving it because its raining even though its designed to do so

If you owed a 22b or a really really mint P1/Type R. then fair enough keep it clean and garaged and for shows and stuff, but you don't really do that either even thou I have suggested a number of times. Your car would be a show winner and therefore it would be a way for you to get some satisfaction from it rather that just locking in a garage for only you to see.

A standard UK STI blob even with the cosmetic extras you have put on should be simply driven and enjoyed.

Although regardless of how mint it is you will only get £XXX amount for it better off selling all the extra bits off on here and then selling the standard car as a minter.

Go for a normal car that you won't be worried about and get something which needs the kind care attention that you can offer to it.

No offence just my opinion....Good luck
Old 26 April 2010, 10:49 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

We all go through this, I have several times. As someone said earlier, it is a Rollercoaster.
I have an 04STI which is well modded and kept in my garage for dry days. I have only had it for 2 months but already looking to change. I've been looking at an M3 E36 conv but after a drive out yesterday I realised that nothing would come close to my STI in all departments.
I'll sell it at some point [when I grow up] but what I would I settle for?
Old 26 April 2010, 11:01 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Budgie
austin healy or sunbeam tiger
and a pipe and slippers Dan
I agree about you getting a classic car instead as I think I know what you like about cars & car ownership. But I would go for a Jap Retro Classic

Last edited by rickya; 26 April 2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 26 April 2010, 01:37 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well I've been on the scooby scene for ten years and read hundreds of posts like this

It's simple !
Keep the scooby garaged take it out on dry days and club nights and shows
And enjoy looking at in the garage and polishing it !
Get a cheap deisel runaround even a Suzuki swift at £159 a month for five years fixed price cheap motoring if that is your thing
A spare scooby in the garage will cost
£400 insurance
£225 tax?
£300 servicing
£175 bits and bobs ?

£20 a week to keep it ?
That's a bargain 7 pints of beer !
Old 26 April 2010, 01:43 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HT04
the values of scoobs has gone through the floor as far as im concerned.
Thats not quite true.
Perhaps that might depend on the model being sold.

But, I recently sold a 5 year old UK STI with PPP for just short of half what I paid for it all those years ago.
It had nearly 64K miles on it too - so above average mileage.
Old 26 April 2010, 03:06 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

take it out of hiding drive it as it should be , buy an old ****ter for everyday use then when you jump back in the scoob it makes you fall in love with it again . its there to be enjoyed by everyone not just you and the garage wallls mate . trust me you will kick yourself it you jump ship ...........plus the water is dirty