ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WRX is Finished official

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2010, 11:31 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX is Finished official

Just been in to my dealer and asked about the new 2011 model. He tells me that Subaru have stoped making the WRX and won't be doing one in the 2011 model though they will continue with a an STi saloon and PPP versions due 2nd qtr next year in UK. This is supposedly due to pressure to reduce CO2 emmission levels though I can't see the logic in this as STi probably has worse than WRX.

Now the question is will my 2008 WRX become a collectors item and what will I be changing it for if I can't afford and STi
Old 26 April 2010, 12:01 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

the hatch wrx looked bland and wasnt a big seller thats why it was pulled i thought . i may be wrong though
Old 26 April 2010, 12:14 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

In the US at least, manufacturers have to achieve set MPG figures as an average across their whole range, so if something similar is happening here, by pulling the WRX it would mean Subaru only had one relatively bad MPG performer in the STI, and therefore their range average would go up.
Old 26 April 2010, 01:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Far more likely to be the act they only sold about 10 of them, the car does just not cut it any more against the competition.
Old 26 April 2010, 01:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HOWY
Just been in to my dealer and asked about the new 2011 model. He tells me that Subaru have stoped making the WRX and won't be doing one in the 2011 model though they will continue with a an STi saloon and PPP versions due 2nd qtr next year in UK. This is supposedly due to pressure to reduce CO2 emmission levels though I can't see the logic in this as STi probably has worse than WRX.

Now the question is will my 2008 WRX become a collectors item and what will I be changing it for if I can't afford and STi
The 2011 WRX in STi body is destined for the UK soon ....... he may have got the wrong end of the stick - they are not importing anymore slim bodied WRX's, they need to sell the stock in the UK now (hence adding ppp and 18" Wheels).

The new version will arrive when stocks have been used up ... then we will have a WRX STi lookalike for £19k. It could be game on again for Subaru.

I'm afraid that your 2008 WRX will go the way of the BugEyes ... as one of the very least desirable Impreza. The WRX-S looked a bit better, but still, the slim body makes it look like a 1.5 version which has a few 'extras' from the boyracer shop on.

Last edited by pslewis; 26 April 2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 26 April 2010, 01:33 PM
JulioJordio2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
The 2011 WRX in STi body is destined for the UK soon ....... he may have got the wrong end of the stick - they are not importing anymore slim bodied WRX's, they need to sell the stock in the UK now (hence adding ppp and 18" Wheels).

The new version will arrive when stocks have been used up ... then we will have a WRX STi lookalike for £19k. It could be game on again for Subaru.

I'm afraid that your 2008 WRX will go the way of the BugEyes ... as one of the very least desirable Impreza. The WRX-S looked a bit better, but still, the slim body makes it look like a 1.5 version which has a few 'extras' from the boyracer shop on.
FFS Pete, Youve mentioned that in a million posts already, it wont happen mate!
Old 26 April 2010, 01:35 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

markjmd - The EU have/are bringing in a fleet average CO2 level that manufactures have to aim to.

I read an artical about Ferrari which spoke of them using the team that developed their 2009 KERS F1 system to fit a similar 100bhp system to the 599. This meant that low speed in town the car ran on the electric motor which is connected to the back of the gear box but when you get you foot down you can use the extra 100bhp at the push of a button.

This was aimed at reducing the the CO2 fleet avaerage.

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2010, 01:36 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

bloody double posts
Old 26 April 2010, 05:12 PM
midge1
Scooby Newbie

Wow. doesnt take long to get on the internet does it!
Old 26 April 2010, 06:37 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

So then you want the look of an STi with the performance of a WRX (although that may well be beyond your aged reaction times ), why not buy the full sugar version rather than the one calorie version.

And as for Bugeye's just remember which was more successful in the WRC was it the Bugeye or Hatchback WRC cars?

The Bugeye sold in far greater numbers than the current Hatchback will ever do, personally I would rather my S202 than any Hatchback except for the R205 which when I see one at a 'reasonable' price I will look at buying.

The expected price point in the USA is around $25K for the wide body WRX, so what will the price be in the UK? I have just looked at the 'old' WRX price on Subaru UK's site and it is listed at £18,995, will the new bodyshape be the same price?

Personally I believe that if the saloon version becomes available in the European market then it could have a very detrimental effect on all Hatchback values.
Old 26 April 2010, 06:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JulioJordio2
FFS Pete, Youve mentioned that in a million posts already, it wont happen mate!
And your information has come from where, exactly?

I had a talk with Subaru UK about the Cosworth Impreza, we discussed many things - including the UK launch date for the wide bodied Impreza WRX

Clearly, it cannot be made public or the airfield full of old slim WRX's will not sell ...

Last edited by pslewis; 26 April 2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 26 April 2010, 06:56 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

And your information has come from where, exactly?

I had a talk with Subaru UK about the Cosworth Impreza, we discussed many things - including the UK launch date for the wide bodied Impreza WRX

Clearly, it cannot be made public or the airfield full of old slim WRX's will not sell ...
Delusions of Grandeur, if IM / Subaru UK rely on you for market research then it is no wonder they are such a sorry state.

They need to be speaking to their core market, and guess what...
Old 26 April 2010, 06:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
So then you want the look of an STi with the performance of a WRX (although that may well be beyond your aged reaction times ), why not buy the full sugar version rather than the one calorie version.
Because the STi doesn't offer me anything a well driven WRX can ... put an experienced driver like me in a WRX and a kiddie would need a STi just to stay with me! Just how it is.

Also, I don't fancy breaking my back on the rock hard ride ..... and it costs a silly amount of money.

A WRX with the STi body which is destined for these shores when all the old stock is sold of the slim version appeals to me

And as for Bugeye's just remember which was more successful in the WRC was it the Bugeye or Hatchback WRC cars?
EH?

I believe the Classic was the most successful of all time .. the number of rally wins doesn't make the fugly bugeye all of a sudden a looker like the Classic was/is!

The Bugeye sold in far greater numbers than the current Hatchback will ever do, personally I would rather my S202 than any Hatchback except for the R205 which when I see one at a 'reasonable' price I will look at buying.
S202 ... sorry, it's one of the ugliest cars on the planet ... when's your next eye test?

The expected price point in the USA is around $25K for the wide body WRX, so what will the price be in the UK? I have just looked at the 'old' WRX price on Subaru UK's site and it is listed at £18,995, will the new bodyshape be the same price?
Yes, indeed the Launch Price will be less

Personally I believe that if the saloon version becomes available in the European market then it could have a very detrimental effect on all Hatchback values.
The Saloon isn't coming here.

I agree it would be the best seller, as the hatch is useless as a load/dog carrier!
Old 26 April 2010, 07:10 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TBH who cares ? The future, if you are a die hard Subaru fan, is JDM imports. UK cars can die a death as far as I am concerned. Let Subaru punt out shopping carts for the dealer network and parts and ***** to the UK impreza, they don't deserve a following at the moment.
Old 26 April 2010, 07:18 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Because the STi doesn't offer me anything a well driven WRX can ... put an experienced driver like me in a WRX and a kiddie would need a STi just to stay with me! Just how it is.

Also, I don't fancy breaking my back on the rock hard ride ..... and it costs a silly amount of money.
Come down to Wales, we have a run though South, Mid and West Wales in June then you can show all us 'youngsters' what you are capable of, after all you know the saying - "Those who can do, those who can't talk about it".

It would be good to see a driving god in action.

S202 ... sorry, it's one of the ugliest cars on the planet ... when's your next eye test?
I should actually ask when is the last time you went for an eye test, after all at your age they are free...

I agree it would be the best seller, as the hatch is useless as a load/dog carrier!
Yet...
Old 26 April 2010, 07:19 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
TBH who cares ? The future, if you are a die hard Subaru fan, is JDM imports. UK cars can die a death as far as I am concerned. Let Subaru punt out shopping carts for the dealer network and parts and ***** to the UK impreza, they don't deserve a following at the moment.
Old 26 April 2010, 07:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'll stick with a proper Scooby thanks .... none of this JDM rubbish for me!!
Old 26 April 2010, 08:41 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hatch wrx fugly as hell. Are the board of executives at Fuji Heavy Industries all on drugs? Deserves to die. I have a modified '03 wrx. If I buy another impreza it will be a 2nd hand hawk t25/t20 or plain hawk jdm sti. Last of the presentable cars. New USA sedan version looks like a fat bloated hatch with a big fat ****. P1/type R and spec C hawkeye best looking scoobs in my opinion. I do not understand where the feckin' hatch came from after the bugeye debacle. Bugeye (with a few tweaks)positively beautiful by comparison!
Old 26 April 2010, 08:42 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Nope no WRX and the new STI will cost about the same as the current one unless the £ strengthens against the Yen
Old 26 April 2010, 08:46 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

ha ha you think its offcial becuase a dealer said so!
Old 26 April 2010, 08:48 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Please tell me that was sarcasm!!
Old 26 April 2010, 08:56 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by rickya
Please tell me that was sarcasm!!

JDM?
Old 26 April 2010, 09:00 PM
evoke
Scooby Regular

I can only lol at that!
Old 26 April 2010, 09:00 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

jdm rules, the japs always save the best for them selfs
Old 26 April 2010, 09:03 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

going back to the OP, so we are talking about IM not importing any more lesser Impreza models, or Fuji not making them? Diesel must stay surely?

personally, I'd bite their hand off for an STI saloon, because it will have a huge boot compared with the hatch's tiny boot pouch

Subaru is definitely becoming niche again. I think the exchange rate issue will see 6 month waits on desirable scoobs again before too long.

been looking for a while for a nearly new car and there is not a lot around
Old 26 April 2010, 09:07 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by happydude303
jdm rules, the japs always save the best for them selfs
Too right, including these!! lolol

Old 26 April 2010, 09:14 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

long time : >
Old 26 April 2010, 10:26 PM
GREENBUGY
Scooby Regular

Default ???

Are you takin the p**s
Old 26 April 2010, 11:36 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

Couple of points from skipping through this thread.

The STi saloon will be launched here from Oct / Nov this year as a 2011 model. It will also coincide with the facelift for the 2011 STi Hatch.
(If you do a search on a different forum, you may just find some dealers are already taking order for the STi saloon)

A widebody WRX for the UK / Euro market is not planned at this stage, at least not as a 2011 model.
Old 26 April 2010, 11:54 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCR59
Couple of points from skipping through this thread.

The STi saloon will be launched here from Oct / Nov this year as a 2011 model. It will also coincide with the facelift for the 2011 STi Hatch.
(If you do a search on a different forum, you may just find some dealers are already taking order for the STi saloon)

A widebody WRX for the UK / Euro market is not planned at this stage, at least not as a 2011 model.
pity I'd be happy with another hatch and the usa 2011 one looks ok let's hope they have a rethink

Quick Reply: WRX is Finished official