ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying advice for a virgin!

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2010, 10:13 PM
fuzzy logicz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice for a virgin!

Hello people. New on this forum so be gentle with me!

Names Andy and i've been surfing this and other (inferior) Scooby sites for the last month or so as a guest, come to think of it, ever since my first ride in a '56 WRX STI in march i've been smitten

Currently drive a fully loaded Mondeo ST220 with a few mods putting out 241bhp, really love my motor but reckon i need a scooby in my life now the rug rats are getting bigger i dont really need the space anymore so the time seems right to change.

I'm looking for a buyers (idiots) guide or something to give me some more info as there seems to be loads of variants and im not too clued up even on the basics i.e WRX, WRX STI, spec D etc. etc. I'm looking at cars around £10,000 incl selling/px'ing mine and love the look of the Hawkeye but they seem to be just out of my price range so a 'bugeye' will most likely be what i'm looking at i reckon.

Sorry for the essay, all advice/thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 26 April 2010, 10:33 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

you should be able to get a hawkeye for 10k

basics are wrx is a 2.5 turbo
sti is a tuned wrx with better parts - gearbox etc
and spec cs and ds are better than the sti with special turbos

the sti is the one most go for but tbh i own a classic so dont know too much about the newer ones.
Old 26 April 2010, 10:39 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

hi mate and welcome if your post title is correct i would reccomend first get yourself a woman and lose your virginity (only joking fella) if you have around 10k you will be looking at a blobeye sti not a bugeye which is newer by the way! the terms are as follows_classic refers to the original shape impreza made from 1992 to 2001
bug eye refers to the model with the round headlights made between 2001 to 2003
blob eye refers to the square head lights with the round blob shape on the end of it made from 2003 to 2005 the spec c is a spoilerless lightweight model which only came in white and red and hawkeye is the model made between 2005 to 2008. and finally hatch refers to the f@ck ugly model that is out now as you can only get it in hatch back form. sti is obviously the top of the range with all the toys,uprated everything and more power so is the one to aim for. hope this helps fella and good luck. take your time to look at a few cars and take someone in the know when buying one as it can be a minefield of abused examples and they aint cheap to fix or run! you have been warned lol
Old 26 April 2010, 11:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spec C's came in many colours (white, red, blue, crystal grey, black, etc) and they have spoilers in many cases though definately outside the op's price bracket.

You want to look for a nice 2005 car, 10k should pick you one of these up, these have the wider track and dccd as standard, JDM ones are rarer but have the better engines (twin scroll turbo's) and a few more goodies (and lots more power ) over the uk cars

Pistonheads is a good place to start looking, you may get a bargain or 2 on there, a few scammers so be careful of anything that is outside of the uk etc.

Tony
Old 26 April 2010, 11:29 PM
fuzzy logicz
Scooby Regular

Cheers fellas.

10 mins after posting i rang my mate up who took me in his for some advice as hes a bit of a scooby nut n'all. He's gonna try and wing it down to sheffield when i've set up some viewings. He reckons i should be looking around at 2003-2005 STI's (blobeye ) which should just come in budget with around 40-50k on the clock? Preferably with the Prodrive pack? Like he said, if your gonna buy one get the best sti you can for the same reason i got the 3.0 V6 mondeo not the 2.2 TDCI (spit!) lol) Is the dccd the adjustable diff? And JDM is the Japanese Domestic Market ones? are these imports and are there any problems or other issues if they are imported?

What should i be looking out for apart from the usual fsh, 1/2 owners etc.? Any specific issues on the model/years im looking at? looks like ther may be issues with timing belts etc.?

Sorry for the Q's i'm just getting excited!!!!!

Last edited by fuzzy logicz; 26 April 2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 27 April 2010, 07:16 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aim for the 05 model (have the flared rear arches) they are a better car as they have improvements over other (previous) models, and yes, you can pick one up with 30k or less on the clock for 10k or less
www.pistonheads.com

Tony
Old 27 April 2010, 06:44 PM
fuzzy logicz
Scooby Regular

Been to look at a 55 plate wrx with 38000 on today, nice looking car but just for a feel and a mystery shop - nice car but i'm set on an 05> sti. Would like one owned by an entheusiast though as after speaking to the salesman he has quite a few pass through his hands that have been ragged. Useful visit all in all. Just need the right car to come up! And sell mine!