ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

vibrating and rumbling from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2010, 05:47 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibrating and rumbling from the rear

hi all....got 53 plate wrx...clean mot last fri and going too work today im getting a rumbling and vibration from the rear everynow and then when accelarating and backing on the throttle ...been underneath and the driveshafts etc seem ok with no play.no wobble from the wheels etc.gone too subaru tonight for service and asked for them have look before they do the service.kinda worried it something major like rear diff or something.it drives ok just noise and vibration....any ideas ???
Old 29 April 2010, 06:35 PM
donthaveascoobie
Scooby Regular

could be something a simple as a dodgy tyre... I bought a car a few years back and one of the tyres had a very slight egg in it. That caused a deep vooom vooooom vooooooom type noise at certain speeds. It also vibrated a bit and appeared to get worse when coasting.

Fingers crossed it's nothing major
Old 29 April 2010, 06:38 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

yer i get that noise..sounds like a scooby just louder if you know what i mean..has done a bit of a knock type noise as well..thing is it itermitent and normaly goes on the cars speed.the tyres are less than 6 months old.was okay this morning and 5 mins from work it started.wondering if i hit a pot hole and did something but i would have the thought the noise be all the time...what chances of rear diff failures on theses?? had full subaru history from new and has only done 55 k.thanks for reply by way
Old 29 April 2010, 06:44 PM
donthaveascoobie
Scooby Regular

hopefully someone else will come along and help you out with some more possible causes. I'm new to Subaru so can't help you with you diff question, etc..
Old 29 April 2010, 06:49 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

yer no probs mate.it down subaru at the mo and they going have look 2mrw.just wanted bit feedback so i dont get ripped off.had oil changed few weeks and they said i need my rear pads and discs skimming...they quoted me 260!!....i changed the rear and front pads using blueprint parts for 64 quid.plenty life left on rear discs but i did think if they may have been warped and they wwere causing the noise etc but noise only happens when accelarate and not breaking and the pads had been on for 656 miles and were fine before so i eliminated that.i dont mind something i can see at fault but it the hidden bits that break that are scary
Old 29 April 2010, 07:02 PM
benjikwrx
Scooby Regular

wheel bearing possibly
Old 29 April 2010, 07:06 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

yer im hoping it just summit minor like that.think i may have hit pot hole this morning
Old 29 April 2010, 07:19 PM
Scooby see-Scooby do
Scooby Regular

I had similar and thought it was a wheel bearing, then it felt like it jumped out of 2nd and revved up as i nailed it off a roundabout, then it felt like the clutch was slipping..........diff brokethe viscous coupling. lucky i had my old one still lying around as it had only been around 70 miles since fitting so triton took the bits off that and rebuilt it, not sure how much it cost me because I had a clutch fitted and some leaks dealt with but the total bill was £450.

Hope its something simple
Old 29 April 2010, 07:19 PM
Scooby see-Scooby do
Scooby Regular

Double post, thats twice today .....a double double

Last edited by Scooby see-Scooby do; 29 April 2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 29 April 2010, 07:26 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

yer im hoping summit simple too..dnt want be paying mega bucks for fairly new ish car still.it drives fine apart from noise.no probs with gears etc
Old 03 May 2010, 11:08 AM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

well got back from the garage.think it was my fault cos changed rear pads and jacked car on the subframe.thought i had placed jack in a safe part but the jack slightly bent part of the suspension up so when the car was on the deck 2 parts of the suspension were touching when accelarating.had only bent the cup couple mil but that was enough.all been straightend and car perfect again.guess the simplest of tasks can turn into something bigger !!!
Old 03 May 2010, 11:32 AM
donthaveascoobie
Scooby Regular

glad you got it sorted and not as scary as it could have been
Old 03 May 2010, 05:11 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

yer cheers....lack of concentration on my part an trying rush lol