Advice Please - Buying this Car at the Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2010, 09:46 PM
JustCallMeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Please - Buying this Car at the Weekend

Hi Everyone,

I have placed a deposit on this car and should be collecting at the weekend.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1656348.htm

It was absolutely mint inside and out and drove and handled faultlessly, at least for the 30 minutes we were out in it. Was seriously quick!

Seller seemed a genuine fella too and had just collected his new GTR, hence the sale. Seemed to know his stuff and was clearly a petrolhead!

Have always loved my Evos and was looking for a nice IX but this swayed me and with such low miles and all supporting documentation, it was almost too good an opportunity to miss.

However, what do you think about the performance claims of 393bhp & 416lb/ft? Is that really possible based on the mods described and if not, what do you think would need to be done to achieve it? I'm also a little wary that, if these claims are true, it's almost too much and something might go bang unless additional upgrades have been made.

Again, I would welcome your opinions / recommendations.

The seller couldn't really tell me everything about the modifications, (previous owner had them done), so I got hold of Bob Rawle who unfortunately was on holiday at the time but he still had time to get back to me! He remembered the car and gave me a rundown of what he thinks he did (fuel pump, wastegate actuator, exhaust, decat, induction, remap of factory ECU) but will check fully, when he gets back. He told me these mods would safely support the power.

Would welcome your comments on all of the above.

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited by JustCallMeMac; 04 May 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04 May 2010, 10:45 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm......Bob Rawle not spelt correctly is a bit of a warning sign LOL

I'd wait for Bob Rawle at BR Developments to get back to you........... Bob is a very down to earth guy but is pretty much a perfectionist at what he does, bordering on OCD LOL

He usually takes down a very precise list of what each car has had done and what mapping has been carried out.

The figures seem a tad over optimistic .

Shaun
Old 04 May 2010, 11:03 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

It does look like a very nice car and in great condition.
The performance figures are optimistic as Midlife says usually around 340/380 on the 2.5l Imprezas with those mods. I would expect an uprated turbo to achive those figures.
If you are happy with it then go for it. Perhaps the exagerated figures are there just to tempt those not in the know
Old 05 May 2010, 07:41 AM
badman1972
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this post by a respected tuner on what can be achieved/expected on these cars mate. As above post says it would suggest a turbo upgrade for that power?

http://www.scoobycity.co.uk/phpBB2/v...hp?f=8&t=47321

Jeff
Old 05 May 2010, 04:39 PM
JustCallMeMac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badman1972
Have a look at this post by a respected tuner on what can be achieved/expected on these cars mate. As above post says it would suggest a turbo upgrade for that power?

http://www.scoobycity.co.uk/phpBB2/v...hp?f=8&t=47321

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the really useful link mate!

In all honesty if the car is pushing 350 / 360 bhp then that's going to be more than enough for me, (famous last words ) but it's the obvious boost in torque that's really appealing and this is what impressed me most during the test drive. Mid-range grunt was awesome.

For info, I think, (and I need to clarify), that the car is running a full decat exhaust as the cat sections are being supplied seperately and I was shown these.

Fun and games in 12 months when I need to re-MOT. Need to find me a 'friendly' garage and just take the legal bit along and hope that's enough!

Cheers again,

Steve
Old 06 May 2010, 02:33 PM
badman1972
Scooby Regular

No problem Steve, it looks a stunning car. Just had my Hawkeye STi mapped today by Simon of Jolly Green Monster and at a lesser spec than yours, it is still awesome! Enjoy it mate!!

Jeff