ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

insurance advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2010, 11:04 PM
themoneypit
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance advice please

due to some stupid old bat that shouldn't be driving i maybe having my car written off by the insurance company.

she hit my car while it was parked! she was parking and couldn't fit her car in the space. Anyway, she has damaged the bumper and broken the bracket that is part of the rear quarter.

subaru quoted me nearly £1200.00 to repair claiming that they will have replace the rear quarter etc.

i don't want to loose my car and i don't feel that i should have to pay for this myself. where do i stand with this?
Old 05 May 2010, 11:12 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by themoneypit
due to some stupid old bat that shouldn't be driving i maybe having my car written off by the insurance company.

she hit my car while it was parked! she was parking and couldn't fit her car in the space. Anyway, she has damaged the bumper and broken the bracket that is part of the rear quarter.

subaru quoted me nearly £1200.00 to repair claiming that they will have replace the rear quarter etc.

i don't want to loose my car and i don't feel that i should have to pay for this myself. where do i stand with this?
her insurance will pay!! she was insured?
Old 05 May 2010, 11:28 PM
themoneypit
BANNED

yes thats what i thought! however, for some reason my insurance are sorting it out and re-claiming the money back.

im not happy about it, not sure what to do really. should i contact her insurance company?

Last edited by themoneypit; 05 May 2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05 May 2010, 11:48 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by themoneypit
yes thats what i thought! however, for some reason my insurance are sorting it out and re-claiming the money back.

im not happy about it, not sure what to do really. should i contact her insurance company?
as long as they will confirm that you are not at fault and that her insurance has accepted liability then thats all well and good. when the bill comes in your insurance should sort it as they say and claim it back. strange i know but they do usually work **** backwards, i dont think you will end up out of pocket as it will probably be in line by the time the bill comes in. leave them to it though the other insurance company probably wont even speak to you, ask your own anything you need to know, they are usually quite helpful
Old 06 May 2010, 10:58 AM
stuart2088
Scooby Regular

In a nutshell i assume you are comprehensively insured. If so that's one of the reasons you pay your premiums to let your insurance company deal with it.

Some people advise dealing with the third party insurance directly themselves and not involving your own. Although you are duty bound to inform your company of any incidents.

The problem in my opinion with that is if the third party goes bandit on you which is often the case and starts disputing responsibility then things have a habit of going pear shaped.

In my case i have a comprehensive policy with a guaranteed no claim bonus so the odd time i have been involved in an accident i leave it with my insurance company to sort out and let them get on with recovery from the third party.

Basically that is what you pay your premiums for. Even if there is a dispute over responsibility leave it with them . Worst case scenario they cant recover but you will just have your statutory excess to pay.
Old 06 May 2010, 12:34 PM
themoneypit
BANNED

i have no problem with letting the insurance company do their job however, it is my company that are saying that my car maybe a total lost.

anyway i have the engineer coming round tomorrow so we'll see. he'll have to be a complete t1t to write it off.

i have full service history
receipts for a full engine rebuild 700 miles ago
and the car is in excellant condition for her age