ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

contemplating a change

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2010, 02:39 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default contemplating a change

hi all, im thinking of chaning my car and cant decide wether to leave subaru for a while then come back at a later date.ive toyed with the idea of getting a Bug STi though but still cant decide what to do.

my car choice would be between......

Civic Type R
Mini Cooper S
Fiesta ST (maybe)
Clio 182/197
Fabia VRS

anyone got any thoughts, genuine reports on the above cars would be good......non of the 'hair dresser' comments etc..

this is a serious thread that ide like abit of help with please
Old 15 May 2010, 02:44 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bug sti over any of them mate,your car is very nice,defo wouldnt go for any of the above other than a bug sti if at all.i personally love the look of your bug.
Old 15 May 2010, 03:44 PM
ClubAddict
Scooby Newbie

Hi. I've only just become a member as planning entry into the Scooby World, should have my car this coming week. But I saw your thread & if you're thinking of a change have you considered a Leon Cupra R? I'm chopping in my Leon Cupra purely due to high mileage. Only thing preventing me getting another is the price tag on a decent low mileage version. But good performance, simple & cheap to maintain & reasonable cheap (by comparison) repair costs if anything goes wrong. Just another possibility for your mix.
Old 15 May 2010, 04:07 PM
doormatty
Scooby Regular

i agree with other post but from past cars

don`t touch the clio
the fabia vrs is ok when remapped
Old 15 May 2010, 04:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

From your list the CTR and Fabia stand out.

If you mean a current VTR then I am not so sure though. Hard ride and doesn't handle that well.

I have a friend with a Fabia VRS and for the cost of running it it is a lot of car.

If you mean a 'breadvan' CTR then I run one of these as my daily motor and while it isn't as fast as your Scoob it isn't as far away as many people think, you just have to learn to thrash it. and it is very chuckable. A good compromise of running costs vs performance IMO. Very reliable too. 55K and nothing has gone wrong so far, not a thing.
Old 15 May 2010, 05:02 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

from my list im leaning towards the cooper S for some reason, i think they look good and 220bhp is achievable which im guessing would make a fast small car. i like the looks of the (old) CTR but im not sure i want a car that you have to rev the nuts of it.

out of the 2 clios i love the 197 in white but its abit pricey, Fabia VRS basicaly a VW polo underneath so its reliable... am i right in thinking they do a diesel version of it too
Old 15 May 2010, 05:25 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

out of that lot civic all day long

Trending Topics

Old 15 May 2010, 05:29 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I had the same dilemma a few months ago and in the end I sold up and ended buying a 58 plate Focus ST (which I pick up Mon).

I was sad seeing the scoob go but now I look forward to the change. Cant wait until Monday!!
Old 15 May 2010, 05:30 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

P.S Is that Ashlynn Brooke on your avatar?
Old 15 May 2010, 05:32 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nathanb
P.S Is that Ashlynn Brooke on your avatar?
dunno mate, cracking **** tho lol
Old 15 May 2010, 05:38 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

i know someone thats got a cooper s,seems to be a good car,and looks pretty smart too,he loves it and wont change,never had anything serious go wrong,dont get a clio mate.i would say cooper s,fiesta st or the civic,but dont forget the bug sti....they are very nice mate.
Old 15 May 2010, 05:42 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerwrx
dunno mate, cracking **** tho lol
Google her you wont be dissapointed!!
Old 15 May 2010, 05:50 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nathanb
Google her you wont be dissapointed!!
He wants to do more than google her
Old 15 May 2010, 05:51 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Dont we all!

Back on track....have you considered a Focus ST PowerWRX?
Old 15 May 2010, 05:55 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

go for fiesta st and put a dreamscience pack on it my06 ppp lee has one which he would proberly sellyou
Old 15 May 2010, 07:21 PM
n9oll
Scooby Regular

I think the fiesta st's are pants mate, you will be truly gutted if you got one of them instead of your scoob! My mate has one and they are really disapointing! Get the bug sti or if you do want a change, get a focus st or ctr ! Just my 2p's worth
Old 15 May 2010, 07:44 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

If you fancy a change from Subaru then a Mini Cooper S or a Works if you can find one.

If you want to stay with Subaru then an S202 and funnily enough I might know someone with one for sale.
Old 15 May 2010, 08:02 PM
loader
Scooby Newbie

Hi Power
I have owned a couple of these the Fabia Vrs and until a couple of weeks ago a Clio 197 with the cup pack.

Fabia VRS
If you are still after a good drive dont buy the Fabia good engine nowhere near as fast as a scooby ( well an STI anyway). The handling isnt up to much on the twisties. If you are after a quick motorway car with good economy then this is the car for you.

Clio 197
Completely different car to the scooby or the Fabia. You have to wring its neck to get the performance. It is quick down a b road. However the reason I sold mine was the lack of guts in the car. Turbo diesels on the motorway when they are up to speed are quicker than it. It sits at 3.5k at 70mph, if you do a lot of motorway miles you will get tired of it quick and it isnt that much more economical than wrx sti ( Dont believe the offical mpg stats for it). If you have a lot of tight A and B roads in your journeys then buy one you will love its revvy engine it reminds me a lot of my mates Teg DC2.

Add this car to your list:
A renaulsport megane trophy, 225 Cup or an R26 if you want an agile car thats got about 8 tenths the scoobys speed then this could be the car for you. You can pick up a Meg Trophy 225 55 plate for around the 7K you wont be disappointed they go very well and are easily tuneable. Mines had 230 bhp out the box even though it was only meant to have 225. MPG is high 20's low 30's. 35ish on a long haul.

Cheers Loader

If you want more info let me know.

Last edited by loader; 15 May 2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 15 May 2010, 08:20 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

had a similar thought of a change for a brand new car the one i had in mind was the mazda 3 MPS was good value for money, also a civic type r gt, like the look of the latest mazda with the scoop on the bonnet, but sanity preveiled am just goint to spend 2k on the subaru, and wait till the new toyota / subaru coupe comes out.
Old 15 May 2010, 08:22 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Missus has a VRS and my current ride is a 172 and mate at work has a CTR. Would i choose any of these over a Scoob - No, Not and never!!!!!

VRS gets 50mpg all day long and has a good turn of speed - it is not however a fun b road blaster as the suspension and brakes are "soggy". A bit of money thrown at it would extract some fun.

I had to chop my lotus in and take my Mothers 172 off her hands to free up some house money so buying a 172 wasn't ticking off one of my life must do's. I've done 20k in it and it's still tight as a nut (60k on the clock). Get it on cam and it's quickish - catch it off cam and it's dog slow.

My mate's CTR seems fairly good. Better than my 172 - not hugely quicker but feels more planted. The power delivery seems better than the clio too.

The one thing that the 3 above cars have in common to me is that they are simply a compromise in one way or another. If a Scoob/Evo/RS was a possibility financially to me then a jumped up hatch would not cut it - end of
Old 15 May 2010, 08:23 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

hi all, im thinking of chaning my car and cant decide wether to leave subaru for a while then come back at a later date.ive toyed with the idea of getting a Bug STi though but still cant decide what to do.

my car choice would be between......

Civic Type R
Mini Cooper S
Fiesta ST (maybe)
Clio 182/197
Fabia VRS

anyone got any thoughts, genuine reports on the above cars would be good......non of the 'hair dresser' comments etc..

this is a serious thread that ide like abit of help with please
from my list im leaning towards the cooper S for some reason, i think they look good and 220bhp is achievable which im guessing would make a fast small car. i like the looks of the (old) CTR but im not sure i want a car that you have to rev the nuts of it.

out of the 2 clios i love the 197 in white but its abit pricey, Fabia VRS basicaly a VW polo underneath so its reliable... am i right in thinking they do a diesel version of it too

the fabia VRS is diesel. they dont do a petrol version.
unless you mean octavia VRS?? thats petrol with about 180 bhp.

i think the mini cooper s is very thirsty and the tax silly high.

others to think about..

audi S4
vx astra turbo
seat leon cupra
Old 15 May 2010, 09:53 PM
G-string
Scooby Regular

I have driven both a fiesta st and civic type r but cant comment on the others, though a guy in work has a 182 clio and lets just say it aint slow, but the fiesta was a great dissapointment to me as I was looking to get one brand new when they launched the new model. The driving posistion is aweful and the performance, lets just say not great. As for the Civic way too hard to drive fast, I know if you owned one you would get used to it but under 6k revs its slow then when your head says change gear it picks up go for the sti mate better car imho.
Old 16 May 2010, 11:53 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info on this, from the above i think the clio, and vrs are out of the picture then..didnt know the cooper S was a high tax band so i may have to think about that one now. i do like the megane 225 i have to admit so thats another to consider then.

then theres the bug sti... ide like one but it would have to be immaculate to make me want to chop mine in for it. my scoob is a very clean car for its age.
Old 16 May 2010, 11:59 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Key questions, what's your budget and how many seats do you want/need? If you don't need 4 seats and there's no brandy snobbery involved what about...

S2000
Elise
VX220

Some very nimble, lightweight cars there. Maybe not so powerful in the case of the elise, but I have taken a S1 very quickly around Silverstone

VX220 turbo is awesome if you have the cash, and turbo means easy to squeeze a few more horses from
Old 16 May 2010, 12:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

powerwrx,

How much would you want for your bug? Never been a fan of them, but yours looks stunning.
Old 16 May 2010, 12:10 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Key questions, what's your budget and how many seats do you want/need? If you don't need 4 seats and there's no brandy snobbery involved what about...

S2000
Elise
VX220

Some very nimble, lightweight cars there. Maybe not so powerful in the case of the elise, but I have taken a S1 very quickly around Silverstone

VX220 turbo is awesome if you have the cash, and turbo means easy to squeeze a few more horses from
S2000 is a cracking car. Underated by most. Better than a Boxster IMO and yes I have driven both extensively.
Old 16 May 2010, 01:27 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by n9oll
I think the fiesta st's are pants mate, you will be truly gutted if you got one of them instead of your scoob! My mate has one and they are really disapointing! Get the bug sti or if you do want a change, get a focus st or ctr ! Just my 2p's worth
I agree, i took a fiesta st and the dealer was like its nippy aint it, i had to laugh it was awfully slow and had no real get up and go, Mini cooper S you will regret, Clio very fast and well handling little car but its french say no more (also watch the servicing there can be bloody expensive) If i was to have any it would be the Civic type r i had an EP3 and it was an awsome car handles really well, avoid the FN2 thore but i still think the impreza is the best option
Old 16 May 2010, 01:30 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by loader
Hi Power
I have owned a couple of these the Fabia Vrs and until a couple of weeks ago a Clio 197 with the cup pack.

Fabia VRS
If you are still after a good drive dont buy the Fabia good engine nowhere near as fast as a scooby ( well an STI anyway). The handling isnt up to much on the twisties. If you are after a quick motorway car with good economy then this is the car for you.

Clio 197
Completely different car to the scooby or the Fabia. You have to wring its neck to get the performance. It is quick down a b road. However the reason I sold mine was the lack of guts in the car. Turbo diesels on the motorway when they are up to speed are quicker than it. It sits at 3.5k at 70mph, if you do a lot of motorway miles you will get tired of it quick and it isnt that much more economical than wrx sti ( Dont believe the offical mpg stats for it). If you have a lot of tight A and B roads in your journeys then buy one you will love its revvy engine it reminds me a lot of my mates Teg DC2.

Add this car to your list:
A renaulsport megane trophy, 225 Cup or an R26 if you want an agile car thats got about 8 tenths the scoobys speed then this could be the car for you. You can pick up a Meg Trophy 225 55 plate for around the 7K you wont be disappointed they go very well and are easily tuneable. Mines had 230 bhp out the box even though it was only meant to have 225. MPG is high 20's low 30's. 35ish on a long haul.

Cheers Loader

If you want more info let me know.
Just make sure you have a Renault dealer near buy for when it goes wrong
Old 16 May 2010, 01:57 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"If" it goes wrong.....
Old 16 May 2010, 02:04 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

If u do end up thinking civic go for the DC5 integra its a better package.

Quick Reply: contemplating a change