Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advice for new 03 Blob owner please?

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2010, 04:36 PM
mitchtech
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for new 03 Blob owner please?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for letting me on the forum, hope i can help once i get my head round my scooby.

I just got my 1st scoob a 03 WRX blobeye, it done 40k and i have a few issues i want to sort.

1st is what sounds like a wheel bearing noise that makes the car sound like a milk float thats always preasent at around 35-60mph regardless if the clutch or gears are engaged.
I replaced the OFS bearing but its clearlt not that, cuols be comming from the rear, just wondered if there were any common what will go at a certain milleage issues? e.g rear bearing etc..

Second issue is the stainless Japspeed 3" straight thru exhaust that has no resonator or cats, it sounds awsome on the outside of the car but also sounds loud inside the car! too loud! does anyone have a standard exhasut for sale? or perhaps a way of introducing a resonator box? or sound proofing? any ideas please?

Thanx in advance
Old 31 May 2010, 04:41 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mitchtech
Hi Guys,

Thanks for letting me on the forum, hope i can help once i get my head round my scooby.

I just got my 1st scoob a 03 WRX blobeye, it done 40k and i have a few issues i want to sort.

1st is what sounds like a wheel bearing noise that makes the car sound like a milk float thats always preasent at around 35-60mph regardless if the clutch or gears are engaged.
I replaced the OFS bearing but its clearlt not that, cuols be comming from the rear, just wondered if there were any common what will go at a certain milleage issues? e.g rear bearing etc..

Second issue is the stainless Japspeed 3" straight thru exhaust that has no resonator or cats, it sounds awsome on the outside of the car but also sounds loud inside the car! too loud! does anyone have a standard exhasut for sale? or perhaps a way of introducing a resonator box? or sound proofing? any ideas please?

Thanx in advance
Hi Mitch.
Subaru exhausts do tend to drone it decatted and no resonator boxes are fitted. You can get a resonated middle pipe to reduce cabin drone. Otherwise a new quieter backbox would be the best thing to cure your problem (however you may lose a few horses from doing this)

With regards to the road noise..
Have you tried swapping the wheels from front to rear to determine that it's not these that are causing the fault (free attempt at fixing it)
Regards
Matt
Old 31 May 2010, 04:43 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Well let's start with throw your wallet away as you won't have any spare cash to put in it, and welcome.
My NSF bearing got noisey for no apparent reason just wear I guess, est way to check is drive the car up in gear on a 2 poster ramp to work out which one is whinning.
You could put a centre box on the exhaust or maybe a bung in the tailpipe, Scoobyworld sell them.
Happy ownership
Old 31 May 2010, 04:49 PM
mitchtech
Scooby Newbie

Thanks deangtiuk,
but iv'e alreadyy had the car on a 2 poster lift and couldn't naill the noise, and also the rear box is a twin talpipe so a bung is out of the question.

Rookymat: where can you suggest getting a rear box from that would fit on-to what would seem massive bore of my japspeed exhaust please?

Regards,

Mitch.
Old 31 May 2010, 04:54 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Lots of guys on here are always selling back boxes. It depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a large 4.5" slash cut back box or a more subtle one? Do you want that loud subaru burble at idle?? If so i'd suggest the racebox that is sold @ www.scoobyworld.com Yours is called a "newage" look in their exhaust section. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 31 May 2010, 04:58 PM
SPIDERWRX
Scooby Regular

whats the spec mate
Old 31 May 2010, 06:16 PM
mitchtech
Scooby Newbie

SPIDERWRX: Its a std WRX 03 plate apart from a K&N and the exhaust.

Rookymatt: I'm after a more subtle one mate as i'm running out of paracetomol on journeys over 5 miles So i guess changing for a more sensible sized rear box would do it? allthough i have my doubts over the difference in bore between my japspeed centre section and say a prodrive back box?

Regards,

Mitch.

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2010, 06:20 PM
sy.
Scooby Regular

if you say the noise is rear and motion/speed related could be the rear diff????
Old 31 May 2010, 06:29 PM
mitchtech
Scooby Newbie

Sy.: do you think so @ 40k miles? how do i check? or do i just change the rear bearings as its a fairly cheap option?
was just wondering if there was a top 10 of what goes wrong before 50k etc..? and if so was it rear bearings?
Old 31 May 2010, 07:28 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Bearings aren't indestructable. So if you fancy changing them it's up to you. I'd be supprised if it's the rear diff.
I fitted an sti genome backbox to my 2002 wrx from a ninja2 backbox. It's lowered the noise considerably. I have now however just got myself an afterburner vortex (louder than both previously mentioned) as i really miss the noise. Plus i have the luxury of using the missus' car if we go on long journeys.

So it really depends on what youre after. Where you based Mitch. Maybe you could find a member that will give you a ride along to see the differences. Or if you're feeling flushed, buy my sti genome off of me! hahaha.

It's a very slippery slope getting into scooby modification. So think long and hard before parting with your money for anything buddy
Old 31 May 2010, 08:31 PM
mitchtech
Scooby Newbie

cheers matt ill, go down the least painfull bearing route (£50 each side) for now.
Ive already been in a bugeye with a std front/mid but aftermarket 3" backbox and the sound was the same as mine but with a lot less volume, so i think ill try and find either a back box or mid/rear to fit my decat pipes.
I'm in Derby by the way.
Mitch.
Old 31 May 2010, 08:32 PM
mitchtech
Scooby Newbie

I also found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT that may save my front and middle if i use it backwards.
Old 31 May 2010, 08:56 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rookymatt
Bearings aren't indestructable. So if you fancy changing them it's up to you. I'd be supprised if it's the rear diff.
I fitted an sti genome backbox to my 2002 wrx from a ninja2 backbox. It's lowered the noise considerably. I have now however just got myself an afterburner vortex (louder than both previously mentioned) as i really miss the noise. Plus i have the luxury of using the missus' car if we go on long journeys.

So it really depends on what youre after. Where you based Mitch. Maybe you could find a member that will give you a ride along to see the differences. Or if you're feeling flushed, buy my sti genome off of me! hahaha.

It's a very slippery slope getting into scooby modification. So think long and hard before parting with your money for anything buddy
How much are you looking for? pm me if you like
Old 31 May 2010, 10:43 PM
scouser321
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mitchtech
SPIDERWRX: Its a std WRX 03 plate apart from a K&N and the exhaust.

Rookymatt: I'm after a more subtle one mate as i'm running out of paracetomol on journeys over 5 miles So i guess changing for a more sensible sized rear box would do it? allthough i have my doubts over the difference in bore between my japspeed centre section and say a prodrive back box?

Regards,

Mitch.
Is the K&N an induction kit or panel filter?

If it is the induction kit, maybe change it to a standard airbox with panel filter?

that should sort out the noise issue slightly
Old 01 June 2010, 11:07 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I recall, there was a problem on many blobeyes where a drone could be heard at around the 60ish figure. I believe it was a resonance within the rear diff at critical speeds - not that unusual in geared systems. Reducing it involved the attachment of a weight on the diff unit (not sure where) to alter the natural resonance of the unit.

JohnD