Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

ecutek ecu question? and turbo options?

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2010, 10:20 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecutek ecu question? and turbo options?

will a ecu from a p1 fit my my00 uk turbo? seen one with ecutek licence for sale. also seen a vf28 turbo from the same car, again a good upgrade or vf35 better? or andy forrest hybrid td04?
Old 31 May 2010, 11:23 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr hat
will a ecu from a p1 fit my my00 uk turbo?
Yes and no. It will physically fit and connect to your loom but the ECU is configured differently inside and so your car would not start if you just tried to plug and play.

You'd need to alter your wiring loom to the JDM configuration before it'd even start and idle, and by doing so you'd be bypassing the car's factory fit immobilisation system which may have knock-on consequences for your insurance. You would also need it remapped immediately before it would run properly on your UK engine.

seen one with ecutek licence for sale.
If you're looking on it as potentially saving you a few quid on the licensing fee for your own future remap, then you'd need to offset this against the pest factor above. A proper UK ECU with a licence on it would be of more use to you. If you're looking on it as a drop in plug and play power increase, no, it isn't.

also seen a vf28 turbo from the same car, again a good upgrade or vf35 better? or andy forrest hybrid td04?
Depends what your upgrade goals are. A used VF35 has a better ultimate power generation capability, and, obviously enough, is likely to be newer than something out of a 10 year old car. The hybrid TD04 has better spool and response than either of the above, and buying one from Andy gives you the assurance of an effectively brand new turbo with a warranty.