ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

97 impreza n/s rear outer sill?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2010, 09:28 PM
a16x_tm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 impreza n/s rear outer sill?

hi all, as title iv got a 97 uk impreza turbo wagon and its going to need a patch on the outer passenger sill at the rear (in line with the jacking point)

i dont know how big the hole is yet as i havnt removed the skirt, but is there anywhere i can get a repair panel from or are my only options buying a full sill and cutting it down or bodging a plate on it??

cheers
Old 01 June 2010, 11:26 PM
a16x_tm
Scooby Newbie

anybody?? shes going to need it for the mot..
id rather get a job done properly, i hate seeing ****e plates welded over holes..

Last edited by a16x_tm; 01 June 2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02 June 2010, 01:51 AM
shaunyboyuk
Scooby Regular

Dont go cutting sills off lol, from expereince isnt worth it unless its accident damaged like mine, even them mine should be in a metal cube but im in no rush so repaird it. Some sheet steel will do to make a patch and weld it on, prime it then either paint it or underseal, if the skirt hides it then underseal it.

If you do it right, you can cut a oblong (square) out arround hole, and cut a sheet peice same size i mean near perfect, Then using welding magnet stick patch in the hole, tack it in 3 - 4 places, edges and bottom. remove magnet and carefully stich and small burst of seam weld being carefull not to distort metal or blow hole. then dress the weld, tap the seams in to get rid of high spots, skim of filler, block down, primer, paint, done. A good body repair shop should do this and would be upto you weather you wanted to paint side of car. As for rust areas, tream them with kurust, and zinc prime them or it will just spread, also weld onto nice clean metal, once its treated grind it up nicely. Also make sure that its getting welded properly and not just bog shoved in the hole if your taking it to a garage or later on down the line when more rot has set in and bog falls out, you wont be happy.

As for removing and replacing outer skin, theres alot of work involved and would involve side of car stripped (doors, skirts, trim) cutting old sill off, across b post, drilling spot welds out, and then welding new skin on, dress welds, skim of filler where seam has been tapped in, and paint whole side of the car. Thats just a quick run through to give you idea of some of work involved. Rather scrap the car lol.

Last edited by shaunyboyuk; 02 June 2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02 June 2010, 02:38 PM
a16x_tm
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by shaunyboyuk
Dont go cutting sills off lol, from expereince isnt worth it unless its accident damaged like mine, even them mine should be in a metal cube but im in no rush so repaird it. Some sheet steel will do to make a patch and weld it on, prime it then either paint it or underseal, if the skirt hides it then underseal it.

If you do it right, you can cut a oblong (square) out arround hole, and cut a sheet peice same size i mean near perfect, Then using welding magnet stick patch in the hole, tack it in 3 - 4 places, edges and bottom. remove magnet and carefully stich and small burst of seam weld being carefull not to distort metal or blow hole. then dress the weld, tap the seams in to get rid of high spots, skim of filler, block down, primer, paint, done. A good body repair shop should do this and would be upto you weather you wanted to paint side of car. As for rust areas, tream them with kurust, and zinc prime them or it will just spread, also weld onto nice clean metal, once its treated grind it up nicely. Also make sure that its getting welded properly and not just bog shoved in the hole if your taking it to a garage or later on down the line when more rot has set in and bog falls out, you wont be happy.

As for removing and replacing outer skin, theres alot of work involved and would involve side of car stripped (doors, skirts, trim) cutting old sill off, across b post, drilling spot welds out, and then welding new skin on, dress welds, skim of filler where seam has been tapped in, and paint whole side of the car. Thats just a quick run through to give you idea of some of work involved. Rather scrap the car lol.
cheers for that mate,
but i dont plan on replacing the whole sill, thats why i asked if there was repair panels available rather then buy a full sill and cut it down, as a panel designed to the correct shape is going to be better then knocking one up