Induction kit help

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2010, 12:00 AM
Silver Angel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Induction kit help

considering getting an induction kit for my 94' classic

So.................. whats the pros and cons of this and what are the best makes , any advice appreciated
Old 04 June 2010, 10:39 AM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

DONT DO IT..unless you have to fit one due to fmic install of coarse,best to put an uprated filter in the standard box and remove the resonator from the inner wing,replace this with a direct cold air feed and your sorted mate.
Old 04 June 2010, 01:23 PM
Silver Angel
Scooby Regular

i already have an uprated performance filter in the standard box
Old 04 June 2010, 01:47 PM
magneel1
Scooby Regular

Everyone on here advises for a good 'panel filter', I personally like the sound of the k&n cone filters but depends on what you like.

I have FMIC so have the k&n cone filter too.

Neel
Old 04 June 2010, 02:45 PM
Silver Angel
Scooby Regular

i recently replaced my small TMIC for a larger one but i love the noise of the induction kit
Old 04 June 2010, 07:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Angel
i recently replaced my small TMIC for a larger one but i love the noise of the induction kit
I ran one on my MY99 from 8k miles to 55K (when i sold it) with no problems, it sounded great. Had a top mount i/c in place, never had any noticable problems with 'heat soak' on even the hottest of days.

Buy a good quality one, not just a brand name but get a K&N or a Pipercross. There was a big test done sometime ago in one of the car mags and some of the big names proved to be pretty poor at filtration. APS does a cold air kit which uses the K&N cone i believe.
Old 04 June 2010, 07:43 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteWagonMan
remove the resonator from the inner wing,replace this with a direct cold air feed
What`s this about then? Resonator???

Trending Topics

Old 04 June 2010, 08:03 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
What`s this about then? Resonator???
There is fitted as standard in the wing that connects to the airbox a resonator,its only purpose afaik is to reduce noise.This resonator also reduces performance as it is full of twisty bends which slows down and restricts airflow to the filter.check out andy forest`s website and everyone of his upgrades recomends removing this resonator from the inner wing,wheather your fitting an induction kit or running a standard box.
Old 04 June 2010, 10:07 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would help to know what power level you are at currently along with any other mods.

In my experience removing the resonator without any link pipe or remap will result in a loss of power. Because we couldn't believe the result it was repeated the following day with the same loss of power. 8 or 9 bhp from memory.
Old 04 June 2010, 10:14 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

as already said, ya wasting ya time and money if you havnt got a fmic or over 375bhp, otherwise the standard airbox and panel filter is more than capable, an you wont get the possible problems of heatsoak, or knackered maf sensors!!!!
Old 05 June 2010, 07:24 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxsti280
as already said, ya wasting ya time and money if you havnt got a fmic or over 375bhp, otherwise the standard airbox and panel filter is more than capable, an you wont get the possible problems of heatsoak, or knackered maf sensors!!!!
I never, ever had heatsoak issues, i ran a new MY99 for 48K miles with a good quality Ind kit, fitted properly without a MAF failure and you only had to look at a MY99 MAF for it to fail.

The failures can be attributed to the quality fo the ind kit, the levels of filtration and the fitting, fitting properly and little or no vibration when running.

It is not all about power, people fit all sorts of b/boxes to get a nicer sound without anynoticable increase in performance as well.
Old 05 June 2010, 08:58 AM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

You will always get heatsoak from a TMIC when the car is stationary in traffic, (remember hot air rises) the heat from the turbo and engine has nowhere to go but up through the intercooler.

Unless you can get a heat shield made for an induction kit to keep it away from all the heat, then you will lose a bit of performance. But like already said above some people just like the noise.

If you do decide to get one the get a cotton filter like a K&N or Apexi. The mesh Blitz filters are not recommended as they can allow some small particals through and into the engine.
When fitting the filter always use the bracket to securly mount the cone properly to stop it vibrating about, which is what can kill your maf sensor and then your engine
Old 05 June 2010, 10:46 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Apexi was the best in stoping the little particals in a test i used to have saved on my old laptop. The other big named including K&N was like proper bad out of 4 K&N was 3rd.
Old 06 June 2010, 10:37 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

You are telling us K+N has poor filtration properties. That is totally contrary to my experience. Can you give us a link to substantiate what you are saying?
Old 06 June 2010, 10:56 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

I always thought that K&N was one of the best out of all the cone filters
Old 06 June 2010, 10:57 PM
Silver Angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae
You will always get heatsoak from a TMIC when the car is stationary in traffic, (remember hot air rises) the heat from the turbo and engine has nowhere to go but up through the intercooler.

Unless you can get a heat shield made for an induction kit to keep it away from all the heat, then you will lose a bit of performance. But like already said above some people just like the noise.

If you do decide to get one the get a cotton filter like a K&N or Apexi. The mesh Blitz filters are not recommended as they can allow some small particals through and into the engine.
When fitting the filter always use the bracket to securly mount the cone properly to stop it vibrating about, which is what can kill your maf sensor and then your engine

thank you
Old 06 June 2010, 11:01 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
You are telling us K+N has poor filtration properties. That is totally contrary to my experience. Can you give us a link to substantiate what you are saying?
Harvey, I think it 'might' be this he is on about

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
Old 09 June 2010, 06:31 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I have done a lot of testing on both panel and cone filters and my results bear no relation to the test above. I even repeated the tests because the results were not what I expected.
You won't see a Blitz metal gauze type filter on any car I own, same goes for HKS and the Apexi is way too small for serious power.
As regards filtration ability, my findings were that the mesh and sponge filters were worst performers by a long way.