ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

My car hates the rain.

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2010, 12:35 PM
WRX JON
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car hates the rain.

Whenever it rains my car runs like sh*t, i dosnt idle the revs are up and down, when driving it jumps and there is just a complete loss of power, it sounds like the engine is going to cut out or its spluttering, if you no what i mean!! When u get to a round about in 3rd and let off ( i mean the accelerater) and then put the power back on there is nothing there and takes a second or so for the engine to jump back again. Has anybody had or have a similar problem, or any ideas what icounld be because its making me go crazy.......thank jon
Old 10 June 2010, 12:38 PM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

Do you have water in the airbox?
Sound´s like your MAF got wet.
I had the same problems with my WRX MY00 when driving in heavy rain or on the wet circuit behind other cars!
Changed the MAF and the car ran perfect again!
Old 10 June 2010, 12:53 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Does you car still have the backing plates attached underneath the vents on the underside of the bonnet? If these are removed (particularly the drivers side one), it can cause issues like you describe due to water getting in.
Old 10 June 2010, 12:54 PM
supshon
Scooby Regular

HI Mate might be worth checking if the resonator box has been removed from the drivers side wing ,ive heard on here problems it can cause whilst driving in the rain without it
Old 10 June 2010, 12:57 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an electrical problem attributed to the rain/damp conditions only. Lift up the carpet where your ECU is bolted down to the passenger side floor/bulkhead and see if there is any water or damp down there, or water leaking through from any of the grommets in the bulkhead.

You should check the wiring where it hides behind the dash. Take the dash out and see if any of the cabin loom is damp or wet. Check the loom all the way through where it goes through the grommets in the bulkhead and into the engine bay.

If none of the cabin loom is damp or wet inside the cabin then it's possible that either somewhere in the rest of that cabin loom that's in the engine bay or the engine loom itself has cabling with perished insulation that's letting in moisture.

That will be a slow and methodical process to find the faulty wire/wires.

Check the ECU first and remove the box from where it's bolted down as that's the easiest to check. If it is wet or damp down there, the ECU box or cennectors going into the box itself may feel wet or damp, then that may be the cause of your issues.

Good luck
Old 10 June 2010, 02:26 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Before all that farce I would suggest checking the HT leads arent damp and are making a good connection and check the coilpack/packs aswell for damp.
Old 10 June 2010, 02:43 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

What MY is your car? I've had similar issues with my 04 WRX when i've been out in the rain for a long duration.

Trending Topics

Old 10 June 2010, 05:54 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the tips of the coil packs are not cracked. moist air may be causing them to arc to the block.
Old 10 June 2010, 05:58 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

get some 25mm heat shrink for wiring and do the ends of coil packs where the rubber boot goes on to the coilpack . damp and condensation problem solved
Old 10 June 2010, 08:12 PM
WRX JON
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, my car has been leaking on the passangers side, but ecu is dry its under the seat area thats wet. iv also had a loss of boost issues driving on the motorway driving home from work, iv been trying to over take traffic and there is nothing there its like someone put a bag over the intake, theres no boost, no venting from the b.o.v, connected???
Old 10 June 2010, 08:22 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WRX JON
thanks guys, my car has been leaking on the passangers side, but ecu is dry its under the seat area thats wet. iv also had a loss of boost issues driving on the motorway driving home from work, iv been trying to over take traffic and there is nothing there its like someone put a bag over the intake, theres no boost, no venting from the b.o.v, connected???
Take it easy and get it plugged in (OBD), keep off boost until you have it looked at, if its something like the Maf say good bye to the engine if your trying to drive it hard.

ps, remove the BOV/Dump Valve and put it back to standard to elliminate the chance that this is failing ot leaking.

HTH
Rob
Old 10 June 2010, 08:32 PM
WRX JON
Scooby Regular

well i dont really use the boost much on the motorwy i tend to keep it about 60 - 65 cos otherwise it drinks the petrol, but i think thats what im gonna have to to do, cheers lads, ps change maf 3 months ago.