Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Going BALD and other things falling off help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2001, 04:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now, my MY00 has done 11500 miles and while washing the car I see that the tyres are nearly on the markers!!!!! at 11,500 miles??? Lets assume I have 2500 miles left in them - is 14,000 miles normal??????

I bought my scoobie because of its JD power position and its cult status, what conclusions can I come to after 10 months of ownership??

a) It is absolutely stupid on petrol consumption - even if I drive like a nun I still struggle to get 20mpg - drive it like I want and its hovering around the 15 mark!!! - my Calibra used to give me 35mpg time after time

b) It rattles and squeaks and creaks like an old clapped out XR3i convertible!!

c) It has needed a new cambelt as the old one was rubbing on the cover

d) The body dents like my bank balance - why have they made it out of Bakofoil??

e) The underseal is coming off!!

f) The windscreen wipers are leaving streaks - knackered already!!

g) I need to buy the ICI paint plant to cover up the stone chips on the front!!

BUT:-

h) It can beat Concorde to 100mph!!

i) It gets the laddies looking in awe at it - these are my buyers come re-sale time!!

j) It sounds good when it starts

k) Its got a great BBS!!

l) The dealers seem fair and honest

Am I glad I have one???? YES!! but only because Vauxhall didnt replace the Calibra with a car equally as stunning and equally as unbeatable in all round abilty!!

Overall, I think the cost of ownership is a real issue. I can afford it easily but do I want to be hit time and time again???

Pete
Old 04 March 2001, 05:19 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

You luck g1t! I have had the following - First set 9000 miles, second 7,000 miles and now the third set (Bridgestone S02's 12,000 miles ) so you are probably an exception!

On the other points

a) You should have expected that if you read the BBS! And remember this is a turbo Rally Car

b) Again It is a 20K porsche beater so what d'ya expect!

c) No answers on that one.

d) Again it is a rally car so it is built with thin panels for lightness!

e) Not a problem on mine.. do you drive on lots of stoney country roads?

f) Don't use your car in the rain then!

g) See e) above!

BUT:-

h) So why complain about the fuel consumption.

i)

j)

k)

l) Not in worcestershire... Doh.. bad point that one!!

Old 04 March 2001, 05:24 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Ive got circa 16,000 out of mine, makes grisvalad (sp?) but there covering gold wheels and i here that helps reduce general wear .

Si
Ps there not the best for road holding though in any condition
Old 04 March 2001, 05:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I put Gislaved's on my Calibra - they were the best tyres I have ever owned - they did a huge amount of miles. Toyo's IMHO are cr4p for life. I choose life!!!

I hear tell that as the Gold Wheels are just spray painted SILVER Wheels - the paint sometimes comes off and gets caught in the tread - hence giving the impression of longer tyre wear

I have contacted Subaru over this Gold Wheel issue and, I quote, 'Well Sir, when we make the silver wheels some of them fail our inspection and do not come up to the quality expected - so what our marketing men said, was, spray 'em GOLD and some ********* will think them cool and buy them, put them on the rally cars and we can't fail to sell them to simple minded folk please do not tell anyone this!!'

Pete
Old 04 March 2001, 07:26 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete! Gold wheels? That's nothing! My missus has just bought a gold car! (Brand new Astra coupe 2.2, Bit like a calibra eh?) It's very nice BTW, and not hard to spot in a car park. Just wish it was a jap grey import, like my scoob! lol
Old 04 March 2001, 07:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Congratulations Mrs Leigh!!

Gold cars are great - on women!!

You need a real man - let me take you to paradise in my UK, Standard, Silver Wheeled Scoobie!!!

Pete
Old 04 March 2001, 07:35 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by pslewis:
<B>Congratulations Mrs Leigh!!

Gold cars are great - on women!!

You need a real man - let me take you to paradise in my UK, Standard, Silver Wheeled Scoobie!!!

Pete[/quote]

Pete you must have the only standard impreza in the country . Whenever I rang for insurance they automatically said to me "okay whats not standard ".

Having said that mine is almost standard (gold wheels were standard on mine) .

cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 04 March 2001).]
Old 04 March 2001, 07:39 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Talking

lol @ Pete
U muppet!
Old 04 March 2001, 07:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Everyone watch panorama tomorrow!!!

Its a program on low testosterone levels and how it is link to feminine tendencies and the liking of gold wheels

Its all very closely related apparently!

Pete
Old 04 March 2001, 08:13 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete, I have to admit that your posts are one of the reasons I read this BBS - Never fail to amuse me.

As regards tyre life, I got 18K out of my standard Bridgestones (UK MY00) - however, they were (ahem) bald - Steve Lawson will tell you how bad they were. I've now seen the light and I've got 17" SO2 PPs (on anthracite wheels ).

I would agree with most of the other things you have written (and as my company is about to introduce petrol cards for those of us that have opted out of the co. car scheme , I shall continue to drive it as it was intended).

Chris
Old 04 March 2001, 08:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thats a nice thing to say Chris - thanx (or are you being sarcastic??)

Anthracite wheels are great by the way!! You must have tons of testosterone

Enjoy the car you g1t - wish i had a petrol card!!

But I am just a poor relation compared to all you IT Consultants

Pete
Old 06 March 2001, 11:39 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Anyone else with stories of best life out of tyres??

And to get my two posts top of the pops!!!! ha ha

pete
Old 06 March 2001, 11:44 PM
B-B
Scooby Regular

Pete

Al says we change a car before we wear the tyres out!!! LOL

B-B
Old 07 March 2001, 01:38 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Paul Wilson - what a d1ck you are!! get off my thread you numb-nuts

I have an Impreza estate DBM - not a micky mouse Jap import either!!!

No gay gold wheels for me!!! I am a man and act like one!!

I suggest you go and find out how to spell Warranty!!!! yes there is an 'a' in it, peasant!!

Of course the Impreza has cult status you dim-wit .... where have you been for 8 years???

I really shouldnt reply to your rantings as they contain no humour, show no intelligence whatsoever, and you are obviously in dire need of a blow job!! lighten up you fridgid queer!!

Pete
Old 07 March 2001, 01:50 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Where should I start? Spelling advice accepted.

No if you'd just like to point out where I said the Impreza didn't have cult status I'll buy you a pint. What I did was criticise you for buying a car for its cult status.

Anyway what car do you have? I think these choices may be nearer the truth than an Impreza.
Old 07 March 2001, 01:56 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Youre not too far from me Paul - fancy meeting a 19 stone mad bull for lunch sometime??? **** is a strong word from someone so weak ... you talk out the hole god gave you for something else loser

Pete
Old 07 March 2001, 02:04 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Gay is pretty strong too, for someone who isn't.

Lardy ****

[This message has been edited by Paul Wilson (edited 07 March 2001).]
Old 07 March 2001, 02:16 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm really sorry Paul - I didnt realise you were a homosexual - please forgive me - I am NOT homophobic (honest)

I was just using it in jest I wouldnt knowingly annoy your gay community - I would also not want to teach you a lesson; big as I am - it would be like hitting a woman!!

Pete
Old 07 March 2001, 12:04 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

It has come to my attention that pslewis does not actually have an Impreza at all. Every post in which he doesn't slag off another model, he is complainging about "his" car.

He somehow thinks that tyre wear rate is a reasonable yardstick for measuring the performance of a tyre, this shows an incrediable level of ignorance. And if you think 14,000 miles is bad from a set of tyres, try 6,000 off a set of SO2's, a decent tyre, fantastic grip, brilliant in the wet.

wiper blades? come on just because you are a tight Brit, and want these things to last forever, they are a consumable item, I replace mine every 6-9 months or so.

What little amount of respect I had for him has gone, he bought a car for its "cult" status? Go and get a VW Beetle then, they've got a "cult" status.

Come on fess up, you haven't got an Impreza , never have, never will.

If you do have an Impreza go along to your UK dealer with these problems , I'm sure your "cast iron" warrenty will help you out

**** off back to Cavalier owning mediocraty
Old 07 March 2001, 12:26 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

lol@Paul

Pete, your posts are a real high point in the day sometimes I reckon you would be better off with a hillman imp, simca, trabant, marina, allegro (with square steering wheel) etc... basically any car that big GAY al would drive

some of your points...

h) It can beat Concorde to 100mph!!

it would need a decent driver for that tho wouldn't it and are you sure your vanilla flavoured scooby-doo would? If you ever manage to race concord I think the best position is behind the engines, just watch for the afterburners

i) It gets the laddies looking in awe at it - these are my buyers come re-sale time!!

No, they are looking in horror at the complete lack of modifications, like the icing is definately missing off this cake...

j) It sounds good when it starts
but it could be soooo much better Pete!

k) Its got a great BBS!!
agree 100%

l) The dealers seem fair and honest
oh yah! I am sure they are all wonderful :P

oh, and Calibra's suck and Paul, don't you spell cult with an n?

[This message has been edited by mattski (edited 07 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by mattski (edited 07 March 2001).]
Old 07 March 2001, 09:34 PM
a2jcy
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pslewis:
[B]Youre not too far from me Paul - fancy meeting a 19 stone mad bull for lunch sometime???
19 stone eh! whats your 0-60 time then

Old 07 March 2001, 10:13 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

OK Pete, you have now started to threaten people on this Bulletin board, as well as making disparaging remarks about a significant portion of the community, of which despite your post above alleging so, I am not a member.

Someone who resorts to physical intimidation, or the threat of, is not in my view the sort of person we want on this board.

In addition to that you constantly witter on about how your choice of Impreza is not only the best, but the only choice that any person of intelligence should make. This view is at best misguided, at worst insulting to others who make a decision based on their personal preference.

I would never dream of foisting my view on others, for a lot of people a UK car in DBM with silver wheels will be the best choice, others would find it dull.

But this is not an arguement about which car is better, it is an arguement about when someone goes too far.

You have crossed that line

I expect an apology in a new thread, not to me but to all those you have pissed off with your threats, intimidation, homophobia, and denigration of their choice of car.

If you can't manage that, just leave.

For other readers more examples of pslewis' recent behaviour can be seen at
Old 07 March 2001, 10:20 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well said Paul.
pslewis: It is no good trying to constantly wind everybody up by slagging their cars off, and then screaming and bawling like a big horrible baby when someone has a go back. Begone forever you appalling idiot!
Old 08 March 2001, 01:50 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Angry

PSLewis,

To use a learning disability

"but you would need to spell first!!"

quote from
Old 08 March 2001, 12:39 PM
Slooby
Scooby Newbie

Mr. Lewis,

Can I just say...grow up, get a life, welcome to the real world and let people express an opinion without resorting to 'I weight 19 stone' and 'dbm with silver wheels is best, everyone else is gay'

That is unless your on the pull sweetie

Old 08 March 2001, 01:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

You all got your handbags waving around your heads now!!!! see I cant resist it!!!

Maybe I have got a little excitable over the last few days - I got a little drunk when I came on and really did some rattling of the bars!!

I see you have chosen not to tell everyone - Paul Wilson - that you have been inpersonating me on another BBS?? using my name?? I would respectfully suggest that is NOT the action of a well balanced member!!

As for the matter of winding people up - the majority of people on here take my rantings as just what they are, a spark to light a fire, they do not get drawn in as they are clever enough to know that the comments are there to stir things up. They CAN be fun you know????

Some members have taken me on and play with me - they slag me off - thats fine, as for threatening anyone - I wouldnt harm a fly (unless it bit me of course!! ) I really do apologise for any threats to anyone and I am sad if, for some people, I am just too much to take (but you CAN ignore me?!) - if you want to be rude to me then you get my FULL attention (if you dont like playing with fire, then dont light the match!)

Reading the threads and inputting my own brand of humour is a hobby of mine - it may well really get on peoples nerves - but I only do it to people who bite!! and to people who I think need a touch of my brand of humour.

So, I will continue to say that Gold Wheels are girlie (of course, I think they look smart on some cars - all my models of Scoobies have gold wheels!!)

I will continue to say that green is only good for farm vehicles (even though some green scoobies look fantastic - we all know those I mean too!!)

I will continue to expect people to bite and have a go at me back, with reference to Trailer tents, camping, silver 'tarty' wheels and such like - some have even suggested that I am the product of a government in-breeding program!!! comments have insulted my wife, my lover and my dog!! thats absolutely ok in my book!!!! but some dont quite have the ability to keep it fun.

I have had many, many e-mails from members, some great, some complimentary (those who find my humour and wind-ups fun), some not so complimentary (those who think me a right pain!) most are fun, I have kept it all quite friendy I thought.

I will leave this BBS if that is what most people want - have I any friends out there in scoobie land??? will I have to sell the Scoobie??

Pete

[This message has been edited by pslewis (edited 08 March 2001).]
Old 08 March 2001, 01:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Pete is seem you are getting old mate...

that smoking jacket and slippers suits you sir!

and Green is the colour!!! f*ckwit!

Old 08 March 2001, 01:28 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

This is nearly as funny as the "Jap Crap" genius posting.

If Pete Slewis came round my way in his immaculate MY00 DBM silver wheeled Impreza, doing 35 in a 30 zone, ignoring the school, I'd say Oi! Fatso! No!

Then again, I would fear he had dragged me in to his ludicrous world of outrage and temptation.

Gob$hites! Where would we be without them?
Old 08 March 2001, 01:31 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Pete you muppet! (sorry to any muppets who may take offence )
If you are as rich as you claim, why don't you get a grip and get a p1 or 22b? (uk model, of course )
Old 08 March 2001, 01:50 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

A sad simple individual.

Quick Reply: Going BALD and other things falling off help!!