Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What you guys think of this??

Looks quite good, but i'm still sure it would not achieve 10 bhp at all
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1397150.htm
Old 21 June 2010, 12:27 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Considerable helping of b*ll*cks there, but context is important.

Unless you're modified above the level where the standard induction tract has become a bottleneck, you will not get a significant power increase from the change in the filter itself simply by virtue of the fact that the standard bits aren't significantly restrictive.

Where fitting one of these may indirectly increase power on a standard or nearly standard car is if the induction kit (as most do) knocks the mass airflow vs voltage scaling out, leading to your ECU under-reading the airflow and running leaner mixtures (and/or more timing) as a result.

So this could potentially give you a power hike, but it's not the sort you really want, as it will be unpredictable and can't be quantified and, the bigger it is, the more likely it'll push your engine into an unhealthy and unsustainable performance regime.

Don't like that seemingly solid link piece they've got between the MAF tube and the turbo pipe either. Given that they show it fitted to an MY99/00 car (in picture 2), it'd be a recipe for frequent sensor replacement, or the consequences of failing to do so.

If you are at the point where an induction kit is an elective choice, then the considerations are a little different, and you'd have to weigh up the merits of this thing against the alternatives. However, on a standard-ish car, even if we were to assume that the 10bhp gain is actually achievable, you'd be unlikely to notice an increase that small (less than 5% on most Imprezas) under your foot. So short answer is that any gains would be unpredictable and not worth the potential downside.
Old 21 June 2010, 08:00 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Technically put...... pile of poo! ha