Ecuflash

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2010, 06:24 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecuflash

Hiya Guys

Im a newbie to this forum so please go easy on me.....

My question is:

I have the last of the "classic" wagon turbo on an x reg 2000. I downloaded all the relevent software to read ecu, fault codes etc. I have no problem reading codes or reseting the ecu. But when i come to read the ecu with ecu flash i get a kernal error in the description box. Any ideas.

I have connected the green connectors under the steering colum.

I wanted to try custom maps etc.

Regards

Steve
Old 21 June 2010, 06:57 PM
scoobyboothy
Scooby Regular

i think you'll find that our ecu maps cannot be downloaded through ecuflash, I am in the same boat, and have tried other programs aswell, romraider,ecu explorer, ecuedit. It's something to do with the ecutek software in the ecu, he people that crack the ecu's found it to difficult so didn't really bother going any further. You really need something called "Deltadash" from ecutek, but it's a bit pricey for the likes of us!!

i use romraider for logging which i find easy to use and you can look at how your cars running in .csv logs which you can open up in ecuedit and look at graphs and tables.

what software do you use to read fault codes?
Old 21 June 2010, 07:40 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

thanks for the response

i use ecuedit to view fault codes and reset ecu...

So basically i have to pay hundreds to have it done by ecutek. (Andy forrest) etc
Old 21 June 2010, 08:39 PM
scoobyboothy
Scooby Regular

you have to pay a large sum 1st because you pay for a licence to have the ecu mapped, after that it's only around £150 to have it remapped.

do you have the full version of ecuedit, as the one i used was a demo and now has expired

i have another version, but it does't seem to be able to read codes, also does it pick subaru speciffic codes aswell, as mine didn't pick up my stored knock sensor code?
Old 21 June 2010, 08:50 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboothy
you have to pay a large sum 1st because you pay for a licence to have the ecu mapped, after that it's only around £150 to have it remapped.

do you have the full version of ecuedit, as the one i used was a demo and now has expired

i have another version, but it does't seem to be able to read codes, also does it pick subaru speciffic codes aswell, as mine didn't pick up my stored knock sensor code?
its the normal version and it picked up all the previous code and they are Subaru specific.. Mine is showing no codes which is a good thing.

i want more power so looks like i will have to remap.
Old 21 June 2010, 09:23 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You cant read the ROMS on pre newage
Old 21 June 2010, 11:43 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

so what are my options

Trending Topics

Old 22 June 2010, 12:22 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hpoolsteve
so what are my options
To do what?

If you want to alter the car's mapping, your current options are either an Ecutek remap, aftermarket ECU, or working out how to map and flash the JECS yourself. The latter is likely to be the costliest option, in both time and money, given that you'll probably blow your engine (not to mention a few ECUs) before deciding that getting someone with the appropriate experience to work on your car was really the best idea all along, even if you do have to pay them for their time and knowhow.
Old 22 June 2010, 09:35 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what mods does it have to warrent mapping?
Old 22 June 2010, 01:14 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I looked into this a long time ago, ended up buying a Tactrix 1.3 cable and getting all the open source software before realising the JECS wasn't supported by any of the software for reading and flashing the ROM. Ecutek figuered it all out and wrote some software to do it, but they charge a license fee. Other people have also done it and wrote their own software, but they keep the information and software secret and for their own use. Most of the open source stuff comes from the states and seeing as though they didn't get the Classics in a turbo version and with the cars being very old now, no one seems that interested in reverse engineering the JECS and writing the Kernels and whatever else is needed to make it work with ECUFlash etc.. If you wanted to do it yourself, you could start by obtaining a user manual for an M32R processor and a compatible dissasembler such as IDA Pro. Then making some sort of test rig up to connect the processor to your PC and find out how to read/write from/to it and then go from there. Easiest option if your wanting to map your car yourself, is to go for an aftermarket ECU with a programmers kit. Or buy a newer Impreza that is compatible with current open source software. Even then, there is alot to learn before messing with the maps. I'm going down the SimTek route with programming kit myself when funds allow.