A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2010, 09:05 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions

Evening all

I've Just signed up as looking at buying a WRX STI to replace what was my modified focus ST 2.5 ( 343bhp, 421ft lb torque). This shape is what i'm after ....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...true?logcode=p

Ive test drove a STI PPP last weekend at my local scooby dealer, but i believe was the 2 litre version. After doing some looking round on piston heads i noticed they do a 2.5 litre engine.

1) Is there much difference between the two power wise?? i.e the torque?

2) Are the 2.5 engine's safer to get power out of over the 2 litre ones?

3) Are there any common expensive problems with these scoobies as know every car has issues you always buy.

4) As i like to play round with car's improving there performance over standard how much power can get out them that's safe and less likely to give you clutch, engine, drive train issues?

any reply's would be great

chris
Old 21 June 2010, 10:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
Ok, there are 2 types of engine in that model, one being the UK 2.5ltr engine and the other being a JDM 2ltr twin scroll version (a far better all round engine tbh).
The JDM is a grey import japanese domestic market car, more power out of the box than the 2.5, capable of more power on the standard internals and is more rev happy.
The 2.5 isnt a bad engine, not as capable in standard form though you would have to do some modifications if you wanted say more than 380bhp (and the MY06 UK 2.5's are known to suffer head gasket issues).
The drivetrain/clutch/gearbox on the STI's are also very good, brakes can be a little wooden so need a good push to get the best out of them (pad change can sort that out), now the down side, the uk car will be cheaper than the japanese domestic market car, its not as well specc'd as the jdm car and not as tunable out of the box.
Find both and drive both, then decide, but I prefer the 2ltr twin scroll car, it delivers the power very smoothly, from as low as 1700-1800rpm, which isnt exactly bad for a 2ltr

Tony
Old 21 June 2010, 10:10 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Welcome
Ok, there are 2 types of engine in that model, one being the UK 2.5ltr engine and the other being a JDM 2ltr twin scroll version (a far better all round engine tbh).
The JDM is a grey import japanese domestic market car, more power out of the box than the 2.5, capable of more power on the standard internals and is more rev happy.
The 2.5 isnt a bad engine, not as capable in standard form though you would have to do some modifications if you wanted say more than 380bhp (and the MY06 UK 2.5's are known to suffer head gasket issues).
The drivetrain/clutch/gearbox on the STI's are also very good, brakes can be a little wooden so need a good push to get the best out of them (pad change can sort that out), now the down side, the uk car will be cheaper than the japanese domestic market car, its not as well specc'd as the jdm car and not as tunable out of the box.
Find both and drive both, then decide, but I prefer the 2ltr twin scroll car, it delivers the power very smoothly, from as low as 1700-1800rpm, which isnt exactly bad for a 2ltr

Tony
cheers for the reply tony .

When say twin scroll version are you on about the turbo?

So are all the wrx sti 2 litres JDM engines or that a special edition that have look out for ?

power wise i'd be looking for simialr to the ST's power really

chris

Last edited by SpecC_Chris; 21 June 2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 21 June 2010, 10:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Twin scroll turbo's give a virtually lagless change and are very good due to the way the gasses flow into them (wiki is good for describing them), most manufacturers are turning to them now over single scroll units (vauxhall, renault, peugeot/bmw etc).
The twin scroll units came in on the 2003 model year JDM cars and are still going strong in standard form without upgrading the turbo your looking at 360bhp and 390lbs of torque, with a change of turbo you can go even higher, say 400/400+ quite easily.
UK cars are single scroll, the older 2ltr cars from the newage cars (2002 to 2005) are similar to the JDM 2001/02 engines but with different turbo's, and most of the nicer limited editions are japanese domestic market cars, which are out of the factory units rather than cars that were modified after being imported (WR1 and RB320 for instance).

Tony
Old 21 June 2010, 10:33 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

Twin scroll turbo's give a virtually lagless change and are very good due to the way the gasses flow into them (wiki is good for describing them), most manufacturers are turning to them now over single scroll units (vauxhall, renault, peugeot/bmw etc).
The twin scroll units came in on the 2003 model year JDM cars and are still going strong in standard form without upgrading the turbo your looking at 360bhp and 390lbs of torque, with a change of turbo you can go even higher, say 400/400+ quite easily.
UK cars are single scroll, the older 2ltr cars from the newage cars (2002 to 2005) are similar to the JDM 2001/02 engines but with different turbo's, and most of the nicer limited editions are japanese domestic market cars, which are out of the factory units rather than cars that were modified after being imported (WR1 and RB320 for instance).

Tony
I was looking at getting a newer reg one such as 07 plate. Take it can get the 2 litre ones with 07 plates?

What should mod's looking at to gain that sort of power? Ive been looking through afew tuning websites and on scooby clinic seen they are doing a range of bolt on turbo's but don't really want be pushing 400bhp if its going be on its limits
Old 21 June 2010, 10:36 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

you did well to get 340 hp out the focus, i thought they were on dodgy ground at that power
Old 21 June 2010, 10:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

If your looking at uk ones then 380bhp is top end for reliability, doesnt cost the earth and a nice 420lbs of torque to go with that, makes for a nice road car, not quite as sharp as the jdm units (they have faster steering racks etc) but still not bad, the MY07 cars dont suffer with the head gasket problems (well they shouldnt suffer with them) it was mainly the MY06 cars.
There are a few mappers on here that can give you info on what you need, fuel pump, exhaust and remap for example.

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 22 June 2010, 06:03 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stedee
you did well to get 340 hp out the focus, i thought they were on dodgy ground at that power
what you mean?
Old 22 June 2010, 06:04 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

If your looking at uk ones then 380bhp is top end for reliability, doesnt cost the earth and a nice 420lbs of torque to go with that, makes for a nice road car, not quite as sharp as the jdm units (they have faster steering racks etc) but still not bad, the MY07 cars dont suffer with the head gasket problems (well they shouldnt suffer with them) it was mainly the MY06 cars.
There are a few mappers on here that can give you info on what you need, fuel pump, exhaust and remap for example.

Tony
Ok cheers for the useful Info fella
Old 22 June 2010, 10:00 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

If you want a 2L 07 plate you will need to go JDM. As TB says, JDM is widely (though not exclusively ) considered the 'better' car out of the box.

The 2.5s are v good for low down torque, the 2L (UK up to 05) need to be revved to get the best out of them.

You will easily match power of the ST whichever engine you choose; the torque will be more of a challenge and the 2.5 is probs the best way to go, unless you want to throw money at it.

dnc
Old 23 June 2010, 09:16 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dnc
If you want a 2L 07 plate you will need to go JDM. As TB says, JDM is widely (though not exclusively ) considered the 'better' car out of the box.

The 2.5s are v good for low down torque, the 2L (UK up to 05) need to be revved to get the best out of them.

You will easily match power of the ST whichever engine you choose; the torque will be more of a challenge and the 2.5 is probs the best way to go, unless you want to throw money at it.

dnc
Cheers for the reply, not fussed about matching the ST's torque as i know its quite high really.

If wanted 350bhp what would have go for mod's wise? Do need a front mounted intercooler or does the standard one cope well with the water spray ?
Old 23 June 2010, 10:05 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Top mounts are good for upto 400bhp buddy, however they do suffer from heat soak. Fitting a front mount will give you slightly less throttle response.
You will have two cats fitted to a factory exhaust. If you want to stay legal, keep the one in the exhaust downpipe, by fitting a sports cat(bolts onto the turbo itself) then remove the 2nd one in place for a straight through. Then put a good 3" pipe all the way back.
Fit a pannel filter (green, k&n)
Remap. Should see you to about 340 on the standard turbo. I'm sure others can recommend a good upgrade on the turbo to get more power.
Old 23 June 2010, 11:09 PM
badman1972
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris 111
Cheers for the reply, not fussed about matching the ST's torque as i know its quite high really.

If wanted 350bhp what would have go for mod's wise? Do need a front mounted intercooler or does the standard one cope well with the water spray ?
Hi mate, just as an example I had a totally standard 10k miles '07 STi Type UK - after adding only a Green cotton air filter, Scorpion Cat-back exhaust and re-map by JGM it is 340bhp/360lb/ft

HTH

Jeff
Old 24 June 2010, 06:09 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badman1972
Hi mate, just as an example I had a totally standard 10k miles '07 STi Type UK - after adding only a Green cotton air filter, Scorpion Cat-back exhaust and re-map by JGM it is 340bhp/360lb/ft

HTH

Jeff
Doesn't take much then. What kind boost running to get that?

Also is it a 2 or 2.5 litre ?

Last edited by SpecC_Chris; 24 June 2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 24 June 2010, 06:26 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

all the uk and euro import 06 plate onwards in that shape you posted are 2.5 mate only the Japanese model cars are still 2.0l.
Old 24 June 2010, 06:33 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

badmans is a 2.5 (as its a uk car), all the hawkeye models with 2.0 engines are JDM.

If you have the money , find yourself a JDM spec-C awsome sauce !,... New ones here ! http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1549445.htm

Dave.

Last edited by Ginola; 24 June 2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 24 June 2010, 07:33 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

Cheers for clearing that up. Hopefully go look at afew this weekend. Seen afew at gramham walker cars on autotrader. Anyone used them or heard anything about them?
Old 24 June 2010, 09:26 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

there cars look good i have a whiite one similar to theirs except mine is a type uk

the one they are selling is a euro import not no locking wheel nuts it won`t have tracker or subaru uk alarm with keypad in compartment to the right of the steering wheel

onw good thing though it has the better seats than the uk. not as much underseal either.

silver/grey with 30 odd k looks good.
Old 24 June 2010, 09:38 PM
Wulsey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris 111
Cheers for clearing that up. Hopefully go look at afew this weekend. Seen afew at gramham walker cars on autotrader. Anyone used them or heard anything about them?
Bought my first subaru back in 2007 from Graham Walkers in Chester & couldntnt recommend the place highly enough mate.

Ive also used JPerformance in the past to buy a 2.5 STI PPP & couldnt fault the service or the scooby either.

http://www.jperformancecars.co.uk/

Barry

Last edited by Wulsey; 24 June 2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 24 June 2010, 11:10 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

thanks again for the reply's guy's.