ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scooby Nooby looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2010, 01:59 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Scooby Nooby looking to buy

Hi all, thought i'd sign up and say hello. I've spent the last 5/6 years owning a couple of Mazda MX6's but now feel its time for more oomph.

I put a lot of time into my mx6 and i'm hoping to do the same with an impreza, just have to find the right one.

This was my mx6, which should be sold on Weds for £900

Theyre a pretty quick car, sub 7 seconds etc but the engine is incredibly difficult to tune. Even the imports only have a "claimed" 198bhp but without major changes, even 220bhp is beyond reach.

This is why i'm "upgrading" to an Impreza. Problem is where to start?

OK, I have £1700-2000 to spend. I'm looking for something straight and genuine, not battered. I'd like as much power/toys for my money and dont mind if that means an earlier car or import.

I've done some reading up but I just cant seem to get a definative answer on what the options are (uk spec, import spec, wrx etc etc).

Would an early WRX import (93/94/95) be a better buy in terms of standard power and equipment compared to a 98/99 UK spec 2000turbo? I'm sure this gets asked a million times but I want to get it right and have a good base car to then add to/improve etc.

Ideally i'd like to drive a couple or different ones but I dont like wasting peoples time. If anyone is local to me who fancies showing me their Impreza that would be excellent.

Thanks to anyone who can put me in the picture. I plan on being here a while and picking lots of brains!
Old 01 July 2010, 02:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

That sort of money wont get you much of a car tbh normally something tired with lots of problems, if I were you I would save another couple of grand and go for the newest car possible, and even though the older wrx's do have more power than a UK car (note that a wrx wagon has a different turbo and less power than the saloon varient), you may be better off with a UK car to start with.

Tony
Old 01 July 2010, 02:39 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply. Problem is that I have limited funds available and "saving a few grand" isnt going to happen. If I dont do it now i'll never have the chance. The reason I stuck with my mx6 for so long is that theyre cheap to buy and modify but are limited on how far you can go.

So given my fundage, is a wrx the way forward? or a later uk spec? i'll give you an idea of what ive been looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

not sure if this is a uk or import tho, or this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

any thoughts?
Old 01 July 2010, 02:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

1st one is a JDM WRX, it wont have 280bhp, none of them do, that is a 260ps version if its an MY95 model (257bhp on 97+ ron fuel, 95 is a as it can (will) blow the engine up)
2nd one is a UK car, the simtek is an expensive ecu (£1200 mapped), though I wonder why its had a rebuild only 1k before, though it may be a member on here if it were on the surrey rolling road day.

2nd one would be my choice if I knew who did the rebuild, but it may cost more than 2k, and I would budget for a full service, thats around 5-600 quid all in.

Tony
Old 01 July 2010, 03:08 PM
the hamster
BANNED

ive sent an email to the 2nd guy asking for mileage and engine details so will post the response.

What makes the service so expensive? I assume your including a cambelt in the £500-600?
Old 01 July 2010, 03:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Full service is everything, plugs, belts, diff and engine oils, filter, coolant, clutch/brake/gearbox oil etc, doesnt say if any of those were changed, always best to know where your upto with these, works out for 2 years cheap running as you just have to change the oil every 6 months/7.5k miles, whichever is first, during that time

Tony
Old 01 July 2010, 03:15 PM
the hamster
BANNED

i'll be doing it 6 monthly as i've only done 8k in the last 2 years in my mx6. I have a crappy diseasel for working out of so a scooby would be a 2nd car.