ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

my02 exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2010, 02:02 PM
pencul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my02 exhaust noise

hey i have an 02 bugeye wrx and i cant get it to sound like a subaru lol lookin for suggestions on what best to do/replace i have hks unequal headers, haywood and scott downpipe and centre section and i have tried blitz nur spec back box sounded stupid tried hks superdragger sounded like a wet fart and currently have a powerflow one on it sounds better but can not get the usual rumble turbo is a td05 18g if that makes any difference look forward to ppls replys thanks
Old 12 July 2010, 02:04 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Afterburner Vortex, all day, every day
Old 12 July 2010, 02:06 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

you deffo sure you have unequal headers cus thats the only thing that gets rid of the rumble.
Old 12 July 2010, 02:09 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunsofsteeeel
you deffo sure you have unequal headers cus thats the only thing that gets rid of the rumble.
thought that myself mate,do your headers come together as 1 in the middle or towards the drivers side chassis leg?
Old 12 July 2010, 02:15 PM
pencul
Scooby Regular

yeah there 100% unequal made sure they were when i had them fitted it never had the proper rumble before they were fitted either could the downpipe cause it as it is very very wide at the top so wide when i put it under full load in 1st through 3rd the steering rack will rub on the downpipe u can hear and feel it and it is a haywood and scott one fitted by prosport
Old 12 July 2010, 07:01 PM
pencul
Scooby Regular

been speaking to rick at taylor motors and he is with me on this one think its the decat downpipe that is causing the none scooby noise anyone else heard of this
Old 13 July 2010, 07:38 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

I would say it is not the downpipe,from what your describing your downpipe is a bellmouth design and made by one of the best manufactures of exhaust sustems in the uk.It will allow your turbo to spool that bit quicker as there is more area for the exhaust gases to flow through the downpipe,which theoretically should make it louder than the o/e system.
I like the people above, after 1st reading the post thought it must be the headers,but if its not, check the system for leaks and if thats ok then buy an afterburner vortex,awesome sounding backbox as well as one of the best free flowing.

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...products_id=76
Old 13 July 2010, 08:01 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The reason for the Subaru exhaust note burble and uneven beat is the unequal exhaust tract lengths. These are particularly uneven on the OE setup because of the flat 4 design and the manufacturing restrictions or cast headers. Any tubular headers, even unequal length are likely to be less unequal made in stainless steel than the OE cast.
The solution is fairly simple. Go back to your OE headers or better still, a set of ported OE headers.
There is something far wrong if your uppipe is fouling the steering assembly.
Old 13 July 2010, 03:40 PM
pencul
Scooby Regular

it had lost its burble before i had put the headers on when i first bought the car it had the haywood and scott decat downpipe and centre section with a nur spec back box and it had lost its burble then thats why im thinking downpipe as the centre section is similar for most makes but my haywood and scott downpipe is nothing like i have seen on anyone elses car even rick at taylor motors has never seen another one like mine where as most have the bellmouth design for a couple of inches at most then it goes circular mine is 3 quaters of the way down before it goes circular