ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

how do i ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2010, 11:40 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do i ?

Just changed the discs and pads all round today and previously on my old discs when having a spirited drive if i pulled up the handbrake the car would spin on a nine pence really well, having previously tried this on an open unused bit of land.also my handbrake worked well on approx 5-6 clicks.

my problem is since i have fitted my new discs and adjusted to the right amount of clicks where the car is holding on the handbrake. it does not lock up the rear wheels when applying the hand brake instead just slows the car and how would the rear shoes bed in if they are only used to park the car.
i am confused or have i adjusted something wrong? as i set each side by setting the adjusters where the wheel could spin freely and only near biting on the handbrake giving me 6 clicks anything less and it were not holding on the handbrake....its a jdm 2003 sti by the way if this helps any advice would be appreciated,...not that i want to be doing handbrake turns but just a bit **** in wanting it same as it was before cheers
Old 23 July 2010, 11:42 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fordrsrickc
Just changed the discs and pads all round today and previously on my old discs when having a spirited drive if i pulled up the handbrake the car would spin on a nine pence really well, having previously tried this on an open unused bit of land.also my handbrake worked well on approx 5-6 clicks.

my problem is since i have fitted my new discs and adjusted to the right amount of clicks where the car is holding on the handbrake. it does not lock up the rear wheels when applying the hand brake instead just slows the car and how would the rear shoes bed in if they are only used to park the car.
i am confused or have i adjusted something wrong? as i set each side by setting the adjusters where the wheel could spin freely and only near biting on the handbrake giving me 6 clicks anything less and it were not holding on the handbrake....its a jdm 2003 sti by the way if this helps any advice would be appreciated,...not that i want to be doing handbrake turns but just a bit **** in wanting it same as it was before cheers
how many miles since the change mate?
Old 23 July 2010, 11:50 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
how many miles since the change mate?
just about 9miles thats all, i just wanted to go home after the day i had with the brakes lol one of the caliper bolts on the rear were seized and snapped in the caliper meaning i had to remove the caliper and have the bolt drilled out by an engineering shop and put it all back together, bled the system and wondered why it wont skid on the handbrake after testing to see if it was how it was before yet to no avail and im confused has anyone else had this problem?
Old 23 July 2010, 11:51 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to bed them in, gently!
Old 23 July 2010, 11:56 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

just about 9miles thats all, i just wanted to go home after the day i had with the brakes lol one of the caliper bolts on the rear were seized and snapped in the caliper meaning i had to remove the caliper and have the bolt drilled out by an engineering shop and put it all back together, bled the system and wondered why it wont skid on the handbrake after testing to see if it was how it was before yet to no avail and im confused has anyone else had this problem?
it will probably be 50/70 miles before there anything like they were and as above dont rag them as you'll glaze them and they will never perform right mate.
Old 24 July 2010, 12:00 AM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Is this normal then and how do i bed them in? do i hold on the handbrake slightly as i drive and keep letting it off again doing it gently.
you would think it would work in the opposite and work really well and bite hard.
Old 24 July 2010, 12:02 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

No mate, just 100 mile of normal driving will suffice

Trending Topics

Old 24 July 2010, 12:04 AM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong the brakes themselves are fine and biting quite well, not as much as i would like but better than the previous pads and discs but i suppose they need to bed in.
but how do you bed the rear shoes in for the handbrake?
Old 24 July 2010, 12:08 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

It's not just the pads mate, the discs also need to bed in to, you will find in a short period of time that the discs and pads mate up nicely and will give you the stopping power you are after As said above, if you abuse them early then you will never achieve their maximum efficiancy (splg).
Old 24 July 2010, 12:09 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong the brakes themselves are fine and biting quite well, not as much as i would like but better than the previous pads and discs but i suppose they need to bed in.
but how do you bed the rear shoes in for the handbrake?
gentle driving ie 40mph and pull up hand brake for a few hundred yards and release and repeat a few times,not to much at once because as stated you'll glaze them,do this maybe 10 times or so with breaks in between and that should with general driving on top bed them in but exspect to do atleast 50 miles before your handbraking again lol
Old 24 July 2010, 12:09 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

did you degrease the discs before fitting including the handbrake drum surfaces?
Old 24 July 2010, 12:16 AM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

yes i de-greased the discs and the surface on the inside where the handbrake beds and i am driving sensibly as one can be in a subaru lol as to not glaze them, they are bedding in nicely i think i will have a nice long drive tomorrow and see how they act. cheers guys
Old 24 July 2010, 12:40 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

[quote=fordrsrickc;9511326]yes i de-greased the discs and the surface on the inside where the handbrake beds and i am driving sensibly as one can be in a subaru lol as to not glaze them, they are bedding in nicely i think i will have a nice long drive tomorrow and see how they act. cheers guys[/quote

driving any distance will not bed your handbrake in as it is completely independent to the rest of the hydraulic brake system, the only way to bed you hand brake in as has already been said, by driving along slowly and gently applying your handbrake to aid the bedding process.
Old 25 July 2010, 11:55 AM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Default bedded in now!

thanks for all the advice guys they are bedded in nice now approx 100 miles later and gently applying the handbrake to bed the rear shoes in and all good again.