ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

jdm sti couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2010, 10:20 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm sti couple of questions.

I have a MY05 jdm sti it has the downpipe in 2 sections, I spoke to Haywood and scott about a bypass pipe for the second section of the downpipe, it is a little rusty, They said to measure the length and they should have one, although they believe it to be a 2nd cat, Looking at it closely today it looks to me like the cat is in the first section of the downpipe and the second section is just a resonator box. The second pipe is about 30 inches long, so my prodrive pipe from a uk car wont fit as it is only about 24 inches, I wanted to get this swapped out before a uk fuel remap so then I have no worries of it rusting through. Can anyone confirm it is just a resonator as I don't want to fail mot emmisions. I dont really want to go to the expense of a sport cat, as well as being about £600, I presume it would give more hassle to the insurance,
Also did an oil change today, had a right game getting the filter off as all the wrenches I have wouldn't fit in can anyone recommend a good wrench that will remove filter easily, I ended up using a small clamp and then using an open ended spanner to get some leverage on it, I used castrol magnatec fully synthetic 5w-30 A1, bit late to ask now, but I presume it is a good oil. Got it on a good deal, a free 1 litre pack with the 4 litre one,

Thanks

Darren
Old 25 July 2010, 12:06 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i cant undo a oil filter by hand i usually use a large pair of these,
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...tails/pliers-2
although have not looked in detail at the underside of twin scroll sti which if i remember right yours is for clearance for the oil filter to the headers, as for the oil i am not sure what is best for your car although i am not sure 5w/30 is best for any impreza.
Old 25 July 2010, 07:11 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a UK car its a second cat (as per the MY06's I believe) on the JDM its a resonator section.
Wouldnt want to go with the 5w30 fully synthetic, you can run it but personally I wouldnt (I use 5w40 fully synth)

Tony
Old 25 July 2010, 07:05 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Fuchs Pro S 10/50w on mine but you won,t go wrong listening to Tony.
Old 25 July 2010, 07:48 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use silkolene pro s 10-50 in mine, i remember people on this forums being warned off using magnatec of any kind in their scoob so it might be best if you do a search on the topic.