ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

what to do

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2010, 10:14 PM
timmy boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do

one of the diff`s has gone on my x plated uk turbo, was playing up and was told center(transfer box) was going...but took it out for first time in ages n rear diff had smoke coming out of it!

so now it needs from wot i can gather center n rear , may just sell whole car or brake it ..any ideas ?? how much will it cost to fix

the car is a uk awd 2000 turbo in micra red ,18" wheels , good n clean in side n out 17,000 miles full stainless from turbo bk,uprated ecu ( was told) coilovers ,bv,ect ect ...wot it worth if i try sell broken (diffs not fixed) would anyone want it?? help and advise want pls

pics in profile.
Old 26 July 2010, 10:18 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a uk spec gear box and rear diff done 70k

£260 from norwich

pm me if its any good oh by the way im not a scammer or rip people off
Old 26 July 2010, 10:25 PM
timmy boy
Scooby Regular

yea be big help .less then i thought it b .....how much to fit u think,

lucky as my mum lives up that way
Old 26 July 2010, 10:30 PM
timmy boy
Scooby Regular

how much my car worth work ok?? n worth un working\?? starts ok .....if i brake wot i looking at making
Old 26 July 2010, 11:46 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

If your car's really only done 17K miles you'd be mad to break it for the sake of sourcing and fitting a good used or reconditioned rear and center diff. Unless I'm very much mistaken it won't need the whole gear-box dropping out, so it should be safely under than a day's work for any competent independent garage to swap everything over. That and bb3's offer of parts should give you a reasonable idea of the overall budget you'll need for the repairs.
Old 27 July 2010, 06:02 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmy boy
one of the diff`s has gone on my x plated uk turbo, was playing up and was told center(transfer box) was going...but took it out for first time in ages n rear diff had smoke coming out of it!

so now it needs from wot i can gather center n rear ,
First thing I would do if I were you is to get the car looked at by someone who knows what they're talking about. Who told you the centre diff was going initially? Given the symptoms you're describing, it's quite possible that there's naff all wrong with the gearbox and centre diff, and that your problems are entirely located at the back, which would reduce the repair cost substantially. Before making any decisions, especially re. fix or break, you need to find out exactly what has gone wrong and what the cost to fix will be.

If the centre diff was failing first and has taken the rear diff with it, there's probably a good reason (like the gearbox previously being changed for one with the wrong final drive/drop gear ratios). Again you need to get the cause of failure tied down so that the repair's a good, lasting one - or so, if push comes to shove, you can describe the parts properly.

Incidentally who told you the car had an "uprated" ECU? Might be worth taking a look at it to see if it's a PPP as this again affects the car's value. Did you mean 17,000 miles or 117,000 btw?

Last edited by Splitpin; 27 July 2010 at 06:03 AM.