Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2010, 10:57 PM
scooby2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flush or not to flush???????

evening all

my scoobys back on road thanks to adam6900 supplying a good engine
should i use engine oil flush tomoz before i drain the oil or not????
Old 26 July 2010, 11:29 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2010
evening all

my scoobys back on road thanks to adam6900 supplying a good engine
should i use engine oil flush tomoz before i drain the oil or not????
no do not use a engine flush unless you want to start with a new engine all over again, if you need more info do a search on here.
Old 26 July 2010, 11:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO flush is a

Tony
Old 26 July 2010, 11:34 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Just use good quality oil from the start.

But....

Why should we not use flush in a subaru? It works well for all other engines!

My missus once had an orion and had used sh!te oil for a few years and it totally clogged the engine until it would not run. An engine flush later and it was fine. So it does work.
Old 27 July 2010, 02:38 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dan83590
Just use good quality oil from the start.

But....

Why should we not use flush in a subaru? It works well for all other engines!
Does it? Can you provide any evidence to back such a sweeping statement? With respect, a one-off anecdote isn't it.

My missus once had an orion and had used sh!te oil for a few years and it totally clogged the engine until it would not run. An engine flush later and it was fine. So it does work.
As above this is hardly evidence that it "works well in all engines", and as an anecdote it's a little incomplete anyway. Presumably after you used the engine flush, you filled with a "non-sh*te" oil. If so how do you know whether it was the flush or the decent oil that restored the engine to good working order?

It's hard to imagine a circumstance under which using "sh*te oil" would clog the engine to the extent you suggest, but if what you're describing is accurate, what your story appears to demonstrate is the fact that engine flush contained a strong solvent capable of breaking down deposited oil sludge quite effectively.

Do you really want to run your highly tuned turbocharged engine in a scenario where you have added a strong solvent to its oil?
Old 27 July 2010, 09:04 AM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
It's hard to imagine a circumstance under which using "sh*te oil" would clog the engine to the extent you suggest, but if what you're describing is accurate.
These were my thoughts at the time. It took me ages to realise why the engine was not running properly. It would start but it would not build revs. She'd had the car way before I met her. She'd been feeding it with the cheapest oil money can buy from Wilkinsons!! Breathers were blocked with it, god knows what all the oilways looked like In this instance the flush worked. The oil had not turned into sludge it had bulit up in hard layers.

I suspect if a turbo engine got into this state it would have died long before anyway.

So I'll repeat. Just use a good quality oil from the start.

Last edited by dan83590; 27 July 2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 27 July 2010, 12:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

This is always a hot topic. Flush does have it benefits, as well as its risks.

The onus being; Flush is only required if you "need" it.

Problem is, once someone has noted the engine is in such a state that it "needs" flush, its a bit too late. I belive there is no such thing as a "bad" oil, but they vary in quality, so one must use initiative to assetain when it requires changing; The change intervals greatly depends on how you drive the car (short journeys being a big killer of cheap oil as well as hard use). Because the service book says 12months between changes, it is not applicable to every given driving scienario, so must be made more frequent to suit (or use a better oil, personally I do the former), in the most extreme of cases, that may mean a oil change every three months.

There are times flush is advantageous; For example, after a head gasket failure, flush will help aid to get out the sludge/cream/water contamination, or if the engine has gone too long without a oil change. There is however a risk that due to build up, debris can be washed off and block the oil pickup in the sump, a further risk is if the engine has badly worn/damaged bearings or faulty PRV, flush will finish off what short life the engine has left in it due to it thinning out the oil; Especially if its not fully drained out afterwards.

However if the engine is already clean and kept that way, it shouldn't ever need it; I define clean as in the drained oil still looks the same colour as it did when it was first poured in, and there is no sign of build up whatsoever under the rocker covers.

A final check of engine cleanliness is to chop open the oil filter and see whats stuck in the filter media.

If its spotless, and kept that way with frequent oil changes, it should never ever need flushing. If one wants to be really thorough in getting as much of the old oil out as possible, leave the sump plug out and filter removed and leave it drain overnight.

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 July 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 27 July 2010, 12:46 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dan83590
I read on Pistonheads someone claimed to have run an Audi A4 for 8 years w/out doing anything to the fluids.

Then said they sold it.