Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Smart repair / paint help - advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2010, 09:56 PM
edbear2
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart repair / paint help - advice please!

I have a 05 WRX wagon in premium silver.....I have owned it from new, and touch wood, it has escaped the normal parking muppets ect. damage (I NEVER leave it in a supermarket unless I can find a quiet / single space!!!)

And even if you do go out...and park the thing at the furthest end of a field etc.......some moron will still trundle over and park 3" away

Anyway....rant over, I am sure you all have your horror stories .......anyway she is unmarked...except for a freak incident caused by a wayward rope on an artic coming the other way.....I nearly ditched it to evade the swinging robe, but it just lightly tagged by driver's side windscreen piller, causing three 4mm by 2mm scoops out to the primer...lucky me!....I suppose I was not thinking straight, so I filled all these with genuine touch up paint, and waited till the next service to see if the garage could do anything...they used a 3rd party "smart repair" guy, who on trying to level/repair the marks, has exposed about a 10mm by 4mm area through the lacquer and left a grey finish.....they said the only answer would be to re-spray and to blend right down to the wing/along the top panel.....I was not happy to give the go-ahead until I had investigated all my options, so can anyone on here suggest anything/anyone please...I can post photos if that will help, and my location is a bit south of Worcester......thanks in advance!
Old 11 August 2010, 10:52 PM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

The only way is to respray as suggested. Insist that window rubbers are out and not masked. Done right it will be spot on. Insist its a bodyshop job and not a smart repair man with an airbrush
Old 12 August 2010, 12:22 AM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

without seeing it its hard. depends how far the chips are from the up the A post. but it will require a blend to bottom of a post, no need to go into wing, and a blend somewhere above drivers door id imagine.

a blend is the lacquer not the colour, the area is scotched, the chips sorted, primed, flatted, paint then applied and flicked out slightly past primed area, then new lacquer applied onto old scotch lacquer, then a 50% lacquer 50% fadeout thinner applied on over lap and finally 100% neat fade out thinners applied and taken slightly past new lacquer.

easy job, should have any issues providing its a cowboy.