Inducing Oversteer

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2010, 10:48 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inducing Oversteer

Hi

Was just wondering if anyone could give me tips on the above.

I've got a V3 Type R , so I can set the dccd to rear but what else can I do ?

I have a set of alloys which I'll be using this weekend, they have falkens on 2 of them and budgets on the other 2. Should I put the falkens on the front or back ? Anything I can do with the tyre pressures aswell ?

Thanks
Old 13 August 2010, 10:50 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

A 2.5 should sort it !

Or a stiffer rear ARB.

Put the poor tyres on the back, at least the front brakes will do something...

LOL

dunx
Old 13 August 2010, 11:05 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
A 2.5 should sort it !

Or a stiffer rear ARB.

Put the poor tyres on the back, at least the front brakes will do something...

LOL

dunx

I wish !

The reason I ask is I'm going to crail on Sunday and going to have a wee shot on the oval, so I need to do anything I can to encourage some drifting
Old 13 August 2010, 11:09 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

maybe it's just me, but I'd not want to go on an oval circuit with budget tyres..
Old 13 August 2010, 11:11 AM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Accelerate into the corner, lift off to force weight onto front wheels then feather the throttle keeping it perfectly ballanced and correcting the steering as needed

i can never do it unless its snowing lol
Old 13 August 2010, 11:18 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
maybe it's just me, but I'd not want to go on an oval circuit with budget tyres..
I thought they'd help me to have less grip as last time I found it hard to get completely sideways because the fronts just had so much grip

Originally Posted by Claaarkio
Accelerate into the corner, lift off to force weight onto front wheels then feather the throttle keeping it perfectly ballanced and correcting the steering as needed

i can never do it unless its snowing lol
Well when I went last time it was slightly damp so that helped, the weathers looking like sun all day this time though. The way I done it was done approach the corner, as I got to the apex clutch down revs up full lock then off the clutch. worked for me
Old 13 August 2010, 12:35 PM
rezaP1
Scooby Regular

The scandinavian flick will put you sideways no probs at all .... and is a great way to start learning and understanding oversteer .... as its all about weight distribution.

Grippiest tyres on the front, and least grippy on the rear will help further ... as will higher than normal rear tyre pressure. You want the front as grippy as poss and the back as loose as possible.

set your dccd for the rears

In my opinion, here is a basic guide, which you can change and develop as you get feel for it.

(please make sure you are confident there is plenty of run off and a nice wide corner so if you cant/dont control the drift, there is nothing to hit)

Try starting off like this: (You will have to decide which gear you select so it is appropriate for the corner you are taking, you will want to approach, take and exit the corner in this gear only, ie no gear changes for now)
Take it easy to start and dont try to be Solberg on your first attempts
Doing a few very small and girly drifts will stand you in good stead for quickly learning and understanding whats going on rather than going all out in a spin and learning nothing

Lets assume 3rd gear for a right hand corner ...

1) Approach corner in 3rd fairly high revs, infact for your first few attempts just drive the car to this point and dont 'race' it ....
2) Whilst approaching the corner, holding the revs fairly high, make sure the car is placed in the middle of the track ...
3) Hold you current speed, and then weave to the left briefly (remembering this is for a right hand corner) so will be weaving away from the corner which is why you should not aproach the corner on the very outside)
4) When you weave to the left slightly so the right side of the car will load up and remember you will be holding the revs when you weave left and not accelerating or deccelerating yet
5) As soon as you feel the right side of the car load up and settle that way, flick the wheel right, into the corner and come completely off the gas. Coming off the gas will dip the nose and load the front wheels and at the same time lighten the rear of the car
6) You should now feel the front turn in hard and the rear step out so you will need to be ready for some opposite lock and be ready to bury/feather the gas to shoot you out of the corner (the car will need to be in the power band rev wise, if you are too low either increase your speed the next attempt if its safe, or consider going a bit slower and use a lower gear)

Lol!!!!! After just typing all that i found this for you mate ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbr1K...ext=1&index=26

Its the same principal for a AWD scooby

Hope this helps you on your way to drifting fella!!!

Last edited by rezaP1; 13 August 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 13 August 2010, 12:45 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a few special roundabouts that get signwrited with rubber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXaCc...eature=related
Old 13 August 2010, 01:24 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Get some extra air in your rears, open the diff right up and hold on to your pants!

If your diff is working correctly it should be fairly violent on the backend stepping out in a Type R!!
Old 13 August 2010, 02:53 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replys everyone,

Never tried a scandinavian flick before, well at least not one violet enough to do what was happening to that poor puma

I'll let you know how I get on at Crail on Sunday
Old 13 August 2010, 03:39 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much the same that has been written above,but with 4 wheel drive you have more grip,and can bury the throttle when it starts to go sideways :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXaCcQQ4-p0
Old 13 August 2010, 05:04 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
Pretty much the same that has been written above,but with 4 wheel drive you have more grip,and can bury the throttle when it starts to go sideways :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXaCcQQ4-p0
Yep, once car is sliding the throttle will make the car go straight again. If it starts snaking/fish tailing and goes pete tong, let go of the steering wheel, brake, and let the car sort itself out. The car will do this much better and quicker than you can, which is quite embarrassing but reassuring at the same time.
Old 13 August 2010, 05:18 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

You don't need to do a Scandinavian flick to get a Scooby sideways.

Start moving into the corner under constant throttle, lift sharply for a moment, this will unweight the rears which will start to slide, then immediately on the throttle again nice and smoothly and a little bit of opposite lock.

You can exaggerate this by applying a little extra lock just at the moment of lift, but you need to be ready to immediately unwind it.

You can also come in the corner hard and turn in under braking - this will again unweight the rears however I think is less elegant for regaining the balance of the car.

The final method is to come into the corner and at the same time as turning in pull up sharply on the handbrake - I have personally always found that this takes more hands than I currently own but the rally drivers swear by it.

All alternatives to the Scandinavian Flick.
Old 13 August 2010, 05:20 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Be wary of too much opposite lock as therein lies trouble with a 4wd when it regains grip - classic reason for offs in scoobies/evos.

Pile into a corner too fast ( encouraged by your god like/ McRae like driving skills), kack yourself/lift off - get lift off oversteer/ sideways - put on some opposite lock to catch it only for the tyres to regain grip and spit you off the way your front wheels are now pointing

Wide opne spaces to practise first would be my recommendation.
Old 13 August 2010, 05:25 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Wide opne spaces to practise first would be my recommendation.
I agree. to try this first tim on a track with hazards all around you is only going to end badly. Get on an Airfield training day. Much more fun than on a track. That is if you are as crap at driving as i am.