Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Need rubber..Snow tyres or normal tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2010, 12:59 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need rubber..Snow tyres or normal tyres?

Im needing new tryes and was thinking of sticking snow tyres on as winter is fast approaching

I have a long commute out to the sticks and when the weather is bad i really could use something good for snow. I have to drive on it a lot in winter. I was going to get 2 sets. But was wondering how bad are they to run all the time. I hear high speed driving is affected?.
Old 13 August 2010, 01:26 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

snow, winter or summer tyres?

i too this week have been considering my options and will be going for a winter tyre. will just have second set of wheels and save the good ones from winter use.

i had proper snow tyres(toyo observe garit) on my uk last year and they were excellent in snow and ice, but a bit aquaplaney in the rain. I think most of the time its more likely to be rainy so hence going for the winter ones.

my legacy drives all year round on m+s but its not driven the same, they squeel like mad in the summer.
Old 13 August 2010, 01:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a thread going a few days back, its in the wheel/tyre section which may have been a better idea for you

https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...ter-tyres.html

Tony
Old 13 August 2010, 01:47 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Hey Euan,
Cheers for good reply mate. Ah i didnt realise you got winter and Snow tyres, your right it's mostly the wet that's the problem. As you will know since your from the same area as me. I dont want to be all over the shop in the wet with straight snow tyres.

Can you recommend(or anyone else) a good all round winter tyre then?. I have Yoko Parada on now, i have hated them ever since they were on. Really slippy tyre and was gobbled up way too quick. If i can save some dosh ill get snow and a cheap set of rims to go with em.
Old 13 August 2010, 02:00 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Yo Tony,

Perfect man!!. Had a good look through that post. Think ill go for winter tyres then. Am i right in thinking the winter tyres will not be as good on dry roads then?. I got a decent deal lined up for some Kumho tyres, they are mentioned in your post. Never heard of this brand. A mate says they are good and a little unknown at the mo, but used in F3 and some other motorsport any feedback on these?

Also if i use the Winter tyres soonish, will i wear them out quick as its still allegedly meant to be summer hehe.
Old 13 August 2010, 06:29 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Winter tyres November to March in England, maybe a week or two earlier and later north of the border. The rubber compounds in summer/all-year tyres isn't designed for road temperatures below +5C degrees, but on winters they are. Running winters in warmer weather probably would wear them down a lot quicker.
Old 14 August 2010, 12:55 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I think we can gaurantee now that everyone is buying winter tires in preperation for winter that this winter will be mild.
Old 14 August 2010, 09:32 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Whether or not we get serious amounts of snowfall like last winter, the road temperatures will be too low for summer/all-season tyre compounds to perform as designed, so winter tyres will give better grip.
Old 16 August 2010, 04:11 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Ya im sold on winter tyres. So prob only downside is they will wear down quicker on dry good roads in better temps?.
No wonder i was all over the place last winter. It was -18 one day i drove back...god not looking forward to that hell again. Any one got any good places to buy tyres?. There is so many dont know who is good/cheap.