ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Wizard of Wax and BMWs

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2001, 08:41 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Treated the new Beemer to the WoW treatment over the weekend, and the stuff just gets better.

Rather than Cleanse No.2 then Merlin Wax, Mark's recommendation was Sealant/Protector then BMW Wax.

The sealant/protector is simply awesome. Less than 15 minutes (yes FIFTEEN minutes) to do the whole car - and its an estate Leaves the paintwork and glass blemish free, crystal glossy and smoother than any wax has ever got my cars before.

The BMW wax is thicker and harder than the Merlin (and green ) and thus bit harder work - but still took less than 50 minutes to do the whole car. The result is stunning - even on a silver paint which never looks as 'deeply glossed' as darker colours.

Finally, (and here's the Subaru content ) I had never waxed my wheels before - 15 spoke OZ Super Ts where just going to be too much But having used my left over Merlin on the BMWs wheels when I got the car two weeks ago, the effect is fantastic. Wheels don't get anywhere near as dirty/dusty, and the best bit, washing is a breeze. Small sponge and detergent free soap and they came clean with just one 'wipe' - meaning 60 seconds per wheel rather than 10 minutes of spraying, brushing, scrubing, rinsing, re-brushing, re-.............. Wax those wheels and regain your weekend/life!!!

All in all, Washing, California-Water-Blading, leathering, Sealing/Protecting and Waxing the body, glass and wheels took my car from its salt encrusted, filty state to concours standard shiny in just over an hour and a half

Thanks again Mark - the only problem is, having seen how clean/shiny etc my car is now, my wife wants her 4x4 doing

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 06 March 2001).]
Old 10 March 2001, 03:34 PM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

What's California-Water-Blading?

And take your point about waxing wheels, but doesn't it all the wax come off with Wonder Wheels or whatever wheel cleaner?

Thanks
Old 10 March 2001, 05:51 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dave

The 'California Water Blade' is a flexible silicon blade, used to remove excess water from the car after washing. It is less abrasive than a normal leather (and it's quicker). I've been using one for a few months and it's great. You just finish off the car with a leather rather than spending ages wiping down the whole car. Have a look at
Old 11 March 2001, 08:12 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Dave - exactly as Chris says The California water blade is like a window 'squeegy' type thing for your car. One of the best investments you will ever make on 'car cleaning' products. Cuts drying/leathering time from 10 minutes to 60 seconds, but again as Chris says, best results are to be had by quickly leathering after water-blading, but as 95% of the water has been removed, the leathering only takes a fraction of the time

And talking of such - car washing is my next duty of the day! Sunday Morning car washing, what a picture of domesticity, just hope I manage to get it all done before and get collared into washing and waxing the 'truck'
Old 12 March 2001, 08:10 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

...also don't use Wonder Wheels (or any acid based cleaner) on your wheels, it will strip the lacquer/paint/alloy/....

Just use a good non-acid wheel cleaner. Without sounding like an advert for WoW his Wheel Cleaner is by far the best I have ever come across (far better than Wonder Wheels) and isn't acid based, so won't rot your wheels!!

Alternatively, wax your wheels and even the most stubborn of grime/brake dust etc just washes off with detergent-free soap, with no need for wheel cleaner