Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Did you know you pay more for your car insurance if it is kept in a garage!

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2010, 09:58 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Did you know you pay more for your car insurance if it is kept in a garage!

I was playing on line with quotes yesterday and found out the following by accident. I guess this will be post code dependent. It costs MORE to insure your car if you keep it in a garage. It also costs slightly more to keep your car on a drive rather than on a road or in a residents car park! Why, because you may damage the car putting it in a garage or parking it on your drive! So is a group 20 car that companies require it to have a tracker safer in a locked garage overnight....apparently not as far as your premium is concerned.

You get a £10 discount if you have a tracker fitted (not all companies insist on one being fitted) £600 for a tracker and £100 a year service charge....Don't think I will be bothering to renew the tracker contract!

Also never just accept the renewal quote, always go on line for a new quote, you'll be surprised how much you could save, even with the same company!
Old 07 September 2010, 10:08 PM
KickboxingCrazy
Scooby Regular

it never made sense to me either
Old 07 September 2010, 10:11 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Your thread title is incorrect.

Just because one company are more when garaged doesn't mean they all are.
Old 07 September 2010, 11:05 PM
chris-RB5
Scooby Regular

So you rather take a lower insurance preminum but increase the risk of it been nicked and some thing more common of late, been vandalised????

Put it this way even if my insurance did go up £X for having it in a garage i still would, and even though my insurance company doesn't require a tracker i will still carry on paying the subscription, so if it ever did get nicked i would hope the rozzers would find my car (intact) and with the tw@ts still in it.

And with having a redcare alarm on the garage and house with police attendence in 5 mins my car is one thing i don't have to worry about at night
Old 07 September 2010, 11:10 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

I doubt the garage issue is the same for all companys...but again I recon it varies on lots of factors
Old 07 September 2010, 11:22 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Too much time on your hands fella good info though

TX.
Old 07 September 2010, 11:24 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by chris-RB5
So you rather take a lower insurance preminum but increase the risk of it been nicked and some thing more common of late, been vandalised????

Put it this way even if my insurance did go up £X for having it in a garage i still would, and even though my insurance company doesn't require a tracker i will still carry on paying the subscription, so if it ever did get nicked i would hope the rozzers would find my car (intact) and with the tw@ts still in it.

And with having a redcare alarm on the garage and house with police attendence in 5 mins my car is one thing i don't have to worry about at night
Do you wear a belt with your braces

TX.
Old 07 September 2010, 11:27 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol, Moley's the cheapest even if I park it on my flowerbeds ! price comparisons meh !
Old 07 September 2010, 11:28 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Used to be that if thieves got into your garage, they could close the door and happily strip bits out of your car. Or try to "hotwire" it, without anyone seeing/hearing anything.
The stripping bit i could belive still.
However, the "hotwire" bit is a tad out of date these days, given most alarms/immobilisers simply need the key or they won't work.
I'd garage mine everytime, extra cost or not.
Out of sight, out of mind..............unless they watch you put the car in the garage

Last edited by rookymatt; 07 September 2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08 September 2010, 04:51 AM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rookymatt
Used to be that if thieves got into your garage, they could close the door and happily strip bits out of your car. Or try to "hotwire" it, without anyone seeing/hearing anything.
The stripping bit i could belive still.
However, the "hotwire" bit is a tad out of date these days, given most alarms/immobilisers simply need the key or they won't work.
I'd garage mine everytime, extra cost or not.
Out of sight, out of mind..............unless they watch you put the car in the garage
from what i hear the majority of car thefts are done by stealing the key, as its becoming a more comman accourance that people break in to get a key for a specific car...if that is the case (it is in romford, essex) then surely a garage would add plenty more safety. saying that, if someone wants your car, then no matter what you do, they can still get it if they really want it.
Old 08 September 2010, 05:40 AM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

Another thing, fiddle with your job title. for example, putting down train operator on mine comes up more expensive than putting down train driver. Same goes for human resources manager or hr manager.
Old 08 September 2010, 05:43 AM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

As for the key thing, I sleep with them under my bed hehe
Old 08 September 2010, 07:43 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

How about it you park in a cave?

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 08 September 2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08 September 2010, 07:45 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine parked his Aston Martin in his garage and a shelf collapsed onto the bonnet.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 08 September 2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08 September 2010, 07:51 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
How about it you park in a cave?
Is your real name Bruce Wayne??!!
Old 08 September 2010, 09:42 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Get a couple of dogs. Job Done.
Old 08 September 2010, 10:50 AM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

I didn't say your car wasn't safer in a garage, I said that the insurance company premium was higher if you kept it in a garage (other insurance companies may be available) I didn't realise I'd have to put a disclaimer on the text! Just trying to reduce your insurance premiums!
Old 08 September 2010, 10:56 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by RE54
from what i hear the majority of car thefts are done by stealing the key, as its becoming a more comman accourance that people break in to get a key for a specific car...if that is the case (it is in romford, essex) then surely a garage would add plenty more safety. saying that, if someone wants your car, then no matter what you do, they can still get it if they really want it.
Old 08 September 2010, 12:13 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it not due to the fact that the insurer you've had a quote with, were stating that they would not cover for theft unless the car was garaged. Thus a policy inwhich the car is garaged is more expensive as you ARE covered for theft and the policy where the car is left on the drive or street is cheaper as you are NOT covered for theft?
Old 08 September 2010, 12:26 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

At the end of the day, how are they going to know that you keep it in a garage when you've declared its on the street?

If you've damaged it putting it in the garage when you wanted to check something under the car (cough cough), are they then not going to pay out?

Not that I'm advocating that sort of thing.
Old 08 September 2010, 12:27 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M4RKG
Is it not due to the fact that the insurer you've had a quote with, were stating that they would not cover for theft unless the car was garaged. Thus a policy inwhich the car is garaged is more expensive as you ARE covered for theft and the policy where the car is left on the drive or street is cheaper as you are NOT covered for theft?
No, like for like cover, garaged was dearest, on drive next. Parked on road or residential parking was the cheepest. Only about £1 difference between drive or road. £40 difference if garaged. Reason stated when I rang to ensure web site was working correctly was people damage their cars parking them in the garage and claim so the risk was greater. It appears the damage aspect outweighs the theft aspect on a group 19 car! Play with the quote next time you need one on line and see what happens! Also no difference in premium between third party only and third part fire and theft cover! Obviously different insurance companies have different policies and premiums so it pays to shop around.
Old 08 September 2010, 12:34 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by VinceW
No, like for like cover, garaged was dearest, on drive next. Parked on road or residential parking was the cheepest. Only about £1 difference between drive or road. £40 difference if garaged. Reason stated when I rang to ensure web site was working correctly was people damage their cars parking them in the garage and claim so the risk was greater. It appears the damage aspect outweighs the theft aspect on a group 19 car! Play with the quote next time you need one on line and see what happens! Also no difference in premium between third party only and third part fire and theft cover! Obviously different insurance companies have different policies and premiums so it pays to shop around.
I can honestly say i've never heard that before
Old 08 September 2010, 12:35 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a big saving after telling them i had rottis gaurding my car too
mic
Old 08 September 2010, 12:35 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

whoops

Last edited by wrx9181; 08 September 2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: double bleeding post
Old 08 September 2010, 12:49 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by rossyboy
At the end of the day, how are they going to know that you keep it in a garage when you've declared its on the street?

If you've damaged it putting it in the garage when you wanted to check something under the car (cough cough), are they then not going to pay out?

Not that I'm advocating that sort of thing.

car stolen from garage

car stolen from driveway

Old 08 September 2010, 01:28 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
car stolen from garage

car stolen from driveway

if some one wants to nick your car there gona nick it at the end of the day, ok theses brand new cars are abit tricky and yes you would need the key, but classics,bugs n blobs are so easy to take. mine stays in the garage and i know it aint going any where fast as i have two locking bollards infront of the bumper.
Old 08 September 2010, 03:46 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My insurance requires me to garage the car. Wouldn't dream of not doing so.
Old 08 September 2010, 06:05 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

i have blackjax anti hijack, so effectively even with the keys the car thief would not get far. insurance companies do not acknowledge this by giving a further dicount, but are happy to say "any extra security you install is for your peace of mind" which is confusing, cos i thought thats what insurance should give you!
Old 08 September 2010, 06:37 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

thing is though, if you reversed into your garage would you claim of the insurance? i wouldnt. i'd just feel a pranny and pay for it myself. last thing you need is another premium increase.
i learnt from my own mistakes, years ago i had a whack, and agreed with the bloke to both sort our own damage out as it was both our faults.
so i thought id best report it to my insurance just in case...but tell them i dont want to claim and that im repairing the damage myself.... the W4nkers put my premium up the next year! they said an accident is still an accident and even though i didnt cost them money, it added to my risk! had that on my record for 3 years too!

i spend literally HOURS going back and forward changing all the settings on the online things. try 10,000 miles a year instead of 11,000. make your car value 15,000 instead of 15,500 things like that. shaves all odd pounds off here and there.
also, when you put your job in, try other terms for it....so if youre a painter and decorator try - interior designer. if youre a dustman try environmental hygenist.

what i think happens is this.. the big computer working out the risk is being fed info..... two dentists have cars insured...one said he was DENTIST, one put DENTAL SURGEON.... DENTAL SURGEON has a crash... bad point for risk goes into all of the dental surgeons premiums.. get me?

ive tried loads of variations of my job...and none are fibs. all are the same thing. i just pick the cheapest.

Last edited by fiveskin; 08 September 2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08 September 2010, 07:26 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by turboaddict
yes you would need the key, but classics,bugs n blobs are so easy to take. :.
How are they easy to take, thought you needed a duplicate key coded to a replacement ecu?

Mine stays in front of the large grey 'bollard' just in case.

Quick Reply: Did you know you pay more for your car insurance if it is kept in a garage!