ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

home spray

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2010, 07:51 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default home spray

I really fancy having my silver 96 wrx wagon painted matt black. although i have no problem in paying for a pro job, I just wondered couldnt i do this at home?

My reasons are having sprayed grill, spoiler and a few bits and bobs in spray can matt black it allways comes out perfect. even when spraying outside, no runs, patches, good coverage and prety much a factory finish. My question is is it the paint that is different? it seems to dry waay quicker than normal paint and doesnt seem to require baking/polishing etc. would this be a good idea to do this?

What are the thoughts on having a matt black wagon with full tints, black wheels etc - stealthy look or tacky?

My other options were (professionally done)

WR blue
Glossy as hell black
Possibly white gobstopper style.

Im in such a tizz
Old 13 September 2010, 08:00 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spraying across large panels like roofs and bonnets is totally diiferent to painting small bits,

just doesnt seem to turn out the same,

get a bonnet from the scrappy to practice on and see ow it turns out? you may well be good at it,
Old 13 September 2010, 09:39 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Speak to 'blu scoob' as he's just painted his classic himself at home, looks really good too!
Old 13 September 2010, 09:55 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morandpeter
I really fancy having my silver 96 wrx wagon painted matt black. although i have no problem in paying for a pro job, I just wondered couldnt i do this at home?

My reasons are having sprayed grill, spoiler and a few bits and bobs in spray can matt black it allways comes out perfect. even when spraying outside, no runs, patches, good coverage and prety much a factory finish. My question is is it the paint that is different? it seems to dry waay quicker than normal paint and doesnt seem to require baking/polishing etc. would this be a good idea to do this?

What are the thoughts on having a matt black wagon with full tints, black wheels etc - stealthy look or tacky?

My other options were (professionally done)

WR blue
Glossy as hell black
Possibly white gobstopper style.

Im in such a tizz
i thought it would be easy to do a SATIN black bonnet on my 02 scoob and ive had 13 years decorating experiance ! i was very , very wrong i had the bonnet prep perfect , applied 8 coats of halfords satin black "halfords is by far in my opinion the best paint in a rattle can " and was gutted to find out it wasnt going to work !! so i decided to go with matt another 7-8 coats and hours of prep later it looked much more acceptable "still not perfect" i recoment if u r going to have ago , to use halfords matt black , and spray the final couple of coats from quite a distance as if u are dusting it on ! it seems to have a more even finnish this way