ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Making My Classic Abit... Nicer... To Drive

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2010, 12:40 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Making My Classic Abit... Nicer... To Drive

Don't get me wrong, the performance is great on the B-roads and in a straight line, but I use the car everyday and its starting to get to me abit that its sometimes alittle uncomfortable to drive.

The cars a '97 WRX STi, must be somewhere in the region of 330-350bhp... its on 18" wheels, standard suspension with SPAX springs.

I'm not looking for perfection, just some ideas on how to make the cabin abit more solid (as i'm sure you all know, Jap interiors are of canny poor quality) and your thoughts on making it a smoother, softer ride... whilst retaining the point-to-point handling that I have at the minute.

Oh and the car has Brembos so cant downsize to 17's... plus I like the wheels I have.

Cheers all,

Mark

Last edited by M4RKG; 14 September 2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 14 September 2010, 12:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Until I read the last line, my first thought was 17"s, since they offer a FAR more forgiving RIDE. (Rememeber that the OE car would have been on 16's, or even less). This is THE number one thing "wrong" with your car at the moment, trust me.

Are the springs you have standard rate, or uprated? If uprated, can you downrate again?

As far as the interior is concerned, what do you want? Have you thought of seats from a newage? More support, a bit better, but a bit higher. Or Recaros? Although on another forum, they get a poor write-up compared with that manufacturer's seats, and I've seen them wearing very quickly

Knocks and rattles? Apart from removing the whole dash and foam padding EVERYTHING, and zip-tying everything down, etc etc, I don't know what to suggest. Have you done sound deadening in the doors/boot? That makes a difference too.

Or you could save money, sell the car as is and buy a newage.
Old 14 September 2010, 12:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Until I read the last line, my first thought was 17"s, since they offer a FAR more forgiving RIDE. (Rememeber that the OE car would have been on 16's, or even less). This is THE number one thing "wrong" with your car at the moment, trust me.

Are the springs you have standard rate, or uprated? If uprated, can you downrate again?

As far as the interior is concerned, what do you want? Have you thought of seats from a newage? More support, a bit better, but a bit higher. Or Recaros? Although on another forum, they get a poor write-up compared with that manufacturer's seats, and I've seen them wearing very quickly

Knocks and rattles? Apart from removing the whole dash and foam padding EVERYTHING, and zip-tying everything down, etc etc, I don't know what to suggest. Have you done sound deadening in the doors/boot? That makes a difference too.

Or you could save money, sell the car as is and buy a newage.
Old 14 September 2010, 12:52 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

or just admit you're getting old and buy a diesel golf ..
Old 14 September 2010, 01:10 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah you got the wrong car if you want comfort lol. Use it as a weekend car and get another car.
Old 14 September 2010, 01:11 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
or just admit you're getting old and buy a diesel golf ..
Hahahahaha, cheeky tw*t... i'm 26

Yea, I am contemplating a change to 17's but i'm just hard pushed to find a different set of wheels that I like, the wheels at the minute are PFF7 reps, and if I was to change I wouldnt go for the same wheel type (even though I do like them... I have my reasons! )

The springs on the car, i've no idea about, they were on the car when I bought it and were more or less brand new... which springs are best for comfort?

And I dont really no what I want with the interior, the seats arent really the problem, I think its just abit plasticy and boring... got some gauges and have fitted them into the heater controls which I was canny proud of but other than that... might just get a telly in there???

Cheers for the replies lads

Last edited by M4RKG; 14 September 2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 14 September 2010, 01:33 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M4RKG
Hahahahaha, cheeky tw*t... i'm 26

Yea, I am contemplating a change to 17's but i'm just hard pushed to find a different set of wheels that I like, the wheels at the minute are PFF7 reps, and if I was to change I wouldnt go for the same wheel type (even though I do like them... I have my reasons! )

The springs on the car, i've no idea about, they were on the car when I bought it and were more or less brand new... which springs are best for comfort?

And I dont really no what I want with the interior, the seats arent really the problem, I think its just abit plasticy and boring... got some gauges and have fitted them into the heater controls which I was canny proud of but other than that... might just get a telly in there???

Cheers for the replies lads
why dont you look into getting your dash flocked if you dont like the oe dash, if you ask "tingtong" very nicely who has flocked a few other s.net members dashes, pillas, etc for the right price i am sure he will help....at the end of the day scoobys were not designed with comfort in mind. am 6.3 f tall and struggle with leg room abit in my classic but i just live with it... they are what they are if you wanted comfort etc you should of got a 7series bmw with a t.v
Old 19 September 2010, 06:04 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

my advice is dont fit coilovers with bearing top mounts, thicker roll bars and nylon bushes,,,, my car feels like i have square tyres and if i drive over a 50p coin i could tell you if it was heads or tails

but **** me it handles the nuts
Old 19 September 2010, 06:13 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

get some standard newage 17" sti alloys they go over the brembos and are great looking on a classic esp in gunmetal, also tyres some tyres sidewalls are alot harder and so crash more,

a 215/45/17 toyo proxes or falken fk 542`s
good grip but with enough sidewal flex to absorb uneven roads

or how about fitting dynomat type stuff to sound deaden it.

Flocked dash looks the shizniz
Old 19 September 2010, 07:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginge !
my advice is dont fit coilovers with bearing top mounts, thicker roll bars and nylon bushes,,,, my car feels like i have square tyres and if i drive over a 50p coin i could tell you if it was heads or tails

but **** me it handles the nuts
LOL @ this: I can tell the difference between a 50 and a 20p piece in mine, but yes, it handles.

Like I said in another thread, do you want to look good or handle good?

In this case it's, do you want to feel good or handle good?