ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Oily residue

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2010, 03:38 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oily residue

So as advised since I told of pulsating boost problem I've been having, I've removed manual boost controller and fitted the correct 1.2mm restrictor pill which seems to have alleviated the problem a bit. I fitted a boost gauge yesterday and it's showing 11psi ish is that ok? Anyway I also cleaned the boost solenoid which helped temporarily. However everytime I have a look it seems there is oily residue in the hoses, I have also noticed quite a lot of it in the front of the hks ssq bov, would this cause the symptoms I'm experiencing? And what can I do to stop this occurring?

Thanks guys
Old 14 September 2010, 03:44 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

This is the bov

An this is the residue on my finger

It's a Uk 2000 turbo x plate by the way
Old 14 September 2010, 04:26 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

11psi is around 0.7-0.8bar so imho that sounds right for a standard impreza of that year.....
Old 14 September 2010, 04:33 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

14psi is the correct amount or 0.9 bar. that what mine was running standard
Old 14 September 2010, 07:03 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigfarlz
So as advised since I told of pulsating boost problem I've been having, I've removed manual boost controller and fitted the correct 1.2mm restrictor pill which seems to have alleviated the problem a bit. I fitted a boost gauge yesterday and it's showing 11psi ish is that ok? Anyway I also cleaned the boost solenoid which helped temporarily. However everytime I have a look it seems there is oily residue in the hoses, I have also noticed quite a lot of it in the front of the hks ssq bov, would this cause the symptoms I'm experiencing? And what can I do to stop this occurring?

Thanks guys
I would think, by the sound of it, you have overfilled the oil. The full level is the 'o' on the dipstick not the '<'. The exess oil gets pushed around the system contaminating the BCS, DV and associated plumbing, which in turn effects the boost.
Old 14 September 2010, 07:12 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigfarlz
I fitted a boost gauge yesterday and it's showing 11psi ish is that ok?
Depends on whether or not you were accelerating genuinely flat out at the time. If this is the highest you saw during a period of sustained full-on acceleration in 4th/5th gear, then no, it's a little too low. You should see just over 13psi sustained in the higher gears in typical British weather.

The actual boost target in your ECU (assuming your car is standard) is 0.94 bar - so 13.6psi. In practice though you would normally find it runs a tiny bit underneath this, with more boost on a cold day than on a hot one - so again the context of your readings is significant.

However everytime I have a look it seems there is oily residue in the hoses, I have also noticed quite a lot of it in the front of the hks ssq bov, would this cause the symptoms I'm experiencing?
What symptoms are they, other than "pulsating boost"? As a general point, if you are posting about an ongoing problem, the best way to allow others to help you is to keep it all in one thread, rather than starting different ones. That way everything we need to know, we can see by scrolling up. Probably also worth pointing out that out and out technical questions like this one will usually get a good answer quicker if you post them in the General Technical forum. If you can either post a link to other threads here, or even better ask one of the mods to combine them, that would make it easier for you and us.

And what can I do to stop this occurring?
The obvious thing would be to get rid of the externally venting dumpvalve, as at least then the vented oil residue will stay internal rather than being blown into your engine bay.

A certain amount of vent oil is normal on these cars. However it's impossible for us to tell via the internet whether you are experiencing a normal amount or not. If there's a lot of it, the usual causes are either overfilling the car with oil, or else a damaged/worn piston causing excessive crankcase pressurisation.

It's easy for you to check for an overfill so do that immediately. Under ideal circumstances you shouldn't allow the oil level to go over the top hole when the engine's hot. Clearly make sure you check on a level surface. You can conduct a superficial check for case pressure by taking the oil filler cap off with the engine running and holding your palm over the filler, or, better, conducting a compression test.

If the engine is found to be functioning perfectly normally, the other obvious way to deal with oil vapour is via a catch can - although the exact method you'd use would depend on how you use the car. If it's a daily driver and you don't want to spend more time than necessary under the bonnet, the standard solution is quite an effective one, if not arguably the optimal way of doing it.