ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

RomRaider & ECU Flash??

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2010, 11:55 AM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RomRaider & ECU Flash??

hi all,, any1 ever looked into the above? been doing some research into it? god some of its tricky,,

does any 1 use it? is there any programs out there that does 1999 cars? not sur if romraider cover older models?

any advice would be grate

wayne.
Old 26 October 2010, 12:38 PM
playtime
Scooby Regular

here wayne have a read at this it may help cheers jamie

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/ecu-tuni...ree-ecm-s.html

http://www.osecuroms.org/
Old 26 October 2010, 03:50 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rapid.STI
hi all,, any1 ever looked into the above? been doing some research into it? god some of its tricky,,

does any 1 use it? is there any programs out there that does 1999 cars? not sur if romraider cover older models?

any advice would be grate

wayne.
What exactly do you mean by "does"? Do you want to datalog your car or reprogram it? If the latter, the only reliable, widely available system is Ecutek's. The indirect advantage of that system is that it will invariably come with an experienced mapper.

If you just want to look at or record live ECU performance data, either ECU Explorer or ROMRaider will do what you want. Also worth a read of this or this.
Old 26 October 2010, 04:25 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
What exactly do you mean by "does"?
Was going to ask the exact same question!

Well worth investing in imho, just for reference purposes. Educational to if you get into it a little bit.

edit: Bugga! Just been in the shed to dig my Evoscan cable out, and it's ****'d Looks like it's been nipped. Now to price a new one.

Last edited by Glowplug; 26 October 2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 26 October 2010, 06:45 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies,, im wanting to data log my 1999 turbo then play with the map slightly? see whats possible? its something id really be intereted in learning! not sure if ecuflash is compatable with the 1999 uk turbo?

Jamie: thanks for the links matey i'll have a good look into it! also thinking of looking into doig the ecutek map? just need to do a little more research into it,,

jolly green monster would be a great help i suppose? if he looks at the post that is?

wayne.
Old 26 October 2010, 08:19 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I don't think any open source software works with pre 2001 newage ecu's think ecutek is the only way with your ecu.
Old 26 October 2010, 09:02 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies,, im wanting to data log my 1999 turbo then play with the map slightly?
You can datalog it as much as you like with tools already available but you can't reprogram it. While good intentions are laudible, you don't really want to either as it'll be far easier for someone without the appropriate experience to break your engine (or ECU) than improve anything.

see whats possible?
The only thing that is open to you right is logging the car's behaviour, which is, frankly, one of the best ways to learn about it anyway.

not sure if ecuflash is compatable with the 1999 uk turbo?
It isn't. As above the only workable, publicly available solution for these cars at the moment is Ecutek's.

Jamie: thanks for the links matey i'll have a good look into it! also thinking of looking into doig the ecutek map? just need to do a little more research into it,,
Think the links Jamie has posted are new age specific, I believe. The big issue you face with Ecutek is that it will cost you a significant amount of money to purchase the agency and kit - and that's even assuming they would deal with you (they almost certainly won't). If you want to play around yourself it would be cheaper for you to purchase a user-mappable ECU like a PowerFC or PossumLink - although both of these are quite old tech now, or, if you really wanted to push the boat out, something more modern like a Simtek or Solaris.

There is an alternative, non-Ecutek programming solution available for 99-00 OEM ECUs, but the individual who developed it did so as a private bit of fun and does not offer it to anyone else.

jolly green monster would be a great help i suppose? if he looks at the post that is?
He's an Ecutek agent, and so would no doubt be more than willing to map your car. And that, to be honest, is probably the best way of you getting its full performance potential out of it. There's nothing wrong with wanting to learn, but given the time and effort (and outlay) it will take you to become a tenth as good as the people who good enough to do it for a living, it will be more cost-effective for you to rely on someone else's knowledge and tools than to try to obtain them yourself.
Old 26 October 2010, 09:16 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

thsnks for that split its something ive always been into,, ive already done various diagnostic coarses as by trade im a mechanic/body repairer. might have to go down the simtek route? i thinks

ecutek offer a a kit for the subaru nut,, not for resale but limited to 3 cars,, this allows you to play around,, £215+vat. deltadash.

think jamie means my sti7 which i have,, which i dont think i'd dare touch the map on that lol. my uk turbo stands me at 500 so wasnt really bother if it blew up TBH.

its something im gonna keep looking into

thanks for the advice
wayne.
Old 26 October 2010, 09:28 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

thsnks for that split ecutek offer a a kit for the subaru nut,, not for resale but limited to 3 cars,, this allows you to play around,, £215+vat. deltadash.
If you are thinking that this solution will provide you with program access to a 99-00 ECU, it is probably worth looking at the small print before shelling out. It is a good logger and probably does offer you idle speed, global manual timing offset, but these are done in RAM, not ROM, and you can get exactly the same functionality with ECUExplorer and ROMRaider for £0.

As you say, something like a Simtek would be easier to learn on, especially if you get someone competent to set it up in the first place. That way you will have a good base map to work from - and learn from - prior to trying to change anything.

Last edited by Splitpin; 26 October 2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 26 October 2010, 10:24 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

As you say, something like a Simtek would be easier to learn on, especially if you get someone competent to set it up in the first place. That way you will have a good base map to work from - and learn from - prior to trying to change anything.
think thats the route im gonna investergate? like you say,, get a good base map to start with,, create a bk up off it, then start the tweeking,, that way i will always have the base map to fall bk on..

thanks again matey,, is it something you've already looked into? you seem to no a thing or 2 about it?

wayne.
Old 26 October 2010, 10:46 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

think thats the route im gonna investergate? like you say,, get a good base map to start with,, create a bk up off it, then start the tweeking,, that way i will always have the base map to fall bk on..
That's not quite the way I would approach it in your position, no. A better outlook would be to get a good base map, and then spend a long time both learning about the way your car performs on that map, and also about the general theory of engine tuning before you even think about "tweaking" it further. Don't forget that if you get a map done professionally, you already have, in the mapper's informed opinion, a good safe performance base. The chances of you being able to improve things even further without unduly reducing safety margins will be pretty slim - and you will need extra monitoring kit like det cans/a digital knock detector and/or wideband AFR system before even thinking about it.

thanks again matey,, is it something you've already looked into? you seem to no a thing or 2 about it?
I know a thing or two about it, yes.

Oh - edited to add - having looked at the Ecutek website, that £215 package is definitely logging/manual select monitor parameter adjust only. The only product they offer with map access is the full professional package.

Last edited by Splitpin; 26 October 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 26 October 2010, 10:54 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I know a thing or two about it, yes.
Not many.
Old 26 October 2010, 11:02 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

There's always more to learn.
Old 26 October 2010, 11:28 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

i just want to get into the mapping side of things,, thought if i could understand the cars behavour whilst studying how the parameters work and what not i could take it further into the real world,, just trying to read and take in as much as i can at the mo,, im currently waiting on my obd2 to usb interface so i can start the data logging. i'll then see were things go from there?

wayne.
Old 26 October 2010, 11:29 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

More for some than others though eh!
Old 27 October 2010, 12:05 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

i just want to get into the mapping side of things,, thought if i could understand the cars behavour whilst studying how the parameters work and what not i could take it further into the real world,,
You won't "understand the engine's behaviour" simply by looking at the data it is running on. You need to associate those raw numbers with what is actually happening in the combustion chambers, and the theory the ECU is using to calculate (or look up) the numbers you're seeing. In that regard there are some excellent reference books around. The third side of the triangle is having the equipment that will enable you to monitor the effects of any changes you might make.

just trying to read and take in as much as i can at the mo,, im currently waiting on my obd2 to usb interface so i can start the data logging. i'll then see were things go from there?
Yep, hopefully you bought the right sort of interface. There are plenty of posts on here about which ones work (and which ones to avoid). The late classics don't actually use OBDII, despite the presence of the 16 pin DLC plug.
Old 27 October 2010, 03:08 PM
playtime
Scooby Regular

wayne i was looking into this myself but gave up after about a week' i got the chance of ecutek software cheap but was advised that i would need to be an authorised dealer by ecutek to purchase the licence to allow the car to be mapped.
Old 27 October 2010, 06:44 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Been pricing up a new cable for my SSMI today, they've gone through the roof.

Both Revtronix and Evoscan are wanting £50 (ish) after import duty and VAT. GB-Ent are UK based but it's a 4 week wait and then he wants £53. Where do they get their prices from?? I'm not paying 50 notes for a usb cable.

Gonna have to have a look at building my own, it can't be that expensive or difficult. Can it?

As someone once said: