Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

anyone here work with carbon before ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2010, 12:33 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone here work with carbon before ?

main questions i wanna ask is

Epoxy resin,,,,,, is that the same for fibreglass AND carbon or are they different ? as i can get epoxy resin for fibreglass from a local car spares shop who proper looks after me but dont wanna take something that i wont need if that makes sence

UV resistant resin or laquer,,,,,, WTF is that as i cant seem to find it

NOW, ive looked on the carbonmods site about the wetlay of parts, it says there kit has a special "basecoat" but,,,,,, im guessing its just gloss black paint or is it tinted epocy resin or even something totally different

NOW,,,, with this said i need to find a place that makes larger carbon 2x2 twill cloth but i dont know what weight i should be looking for just ive found boat/marine supplys seems to be cheeper and carbonmods kits seem good and all that,,,,,, but i can get less than half the price PLUS the size i need too

tbh i just wanna do it as a testing type thing see if im any good at it ( prob not pmsl) but as im off work sick,,,,, makes sence to buy this and enjoy rather than sit on the net all day and i cant work on my car as i wont get better if that makes sence

basically i need to keep busy and this seems like a good way to spend 100 quid and learn something

i understand less resin to carbon makes it stronger hence the vacum of the parts for proper strength to the size of it as it squishes it together but for now all i wanna do is wetlay some small parts and see how i get on

anyone out there ever have a go at it ?

if so PLEASE give some pointers of ways i can avoid making is a disaster
Old 01 November 2010, 10:15 AM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Hello Ginge, see the link concerning carbon, concerning skinning to actual fabrication.

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products...CMCFSK300.aspx
Old 01 November 2010, 02:54 PM
JamesWalker
Scooby Regular

The CF / FG epoxy is the same, but the finish might not be. The basecoat is actually the name given to the coat you will see, if using a mould for example (AKA gelcoat) which is a higher gloss finish than most standard epoxies. For CF, ensure that the epoxy is clear else you will lose the weave through it! I have wet laid plenty of CF, for dashboards etc. I used to do it between 2 layers of glass with 20kg weight on top. I used to do 4 layers of 2*2 twill weave but didnt use any gelcoat, just epoxy and the results were perfect. Any other questions, just ask