ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Drop links and anti roll bars

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2010, 02:55 PM
subaru slim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop links and anti roll bars

Well last week I took my wrx out to a trackday at brands hatch great day out must say
ok now I am no expert on cars but the car could do with a few handling mods Did get a bit hairy at times now the questions I would like to ask is what are drop links and how do they help improve the car handling aswell as this i am looking to upgrade both front and rear anti roll bars I know different people will have different answers but is it better to have a stiffer roll bar on the rear or the front ( say like a 24mm on the rear and 22mm on the front) with regards to the suspension I am running the factory shocks and springs which I quite like the feel of but would be looking in the near future to upgrade to s set of tein street coil overs ,the cars it's self is a 03 wrx have had a few engine mods done but would like the car set up as a daily run around and also being able to use on a trackday here and there What makes of drop links and anti roll bars would other people recomend to use I have been looming at makes like whiteline ,perrin and even seen a thread about cdf racing feedback would be great ... Thanks sli
Old 30 October 2010, 03:45 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

What's the best is really dependent on what you want to achieve. First identify what you don't like about the handling, then you can decide what to do about it.

Generally speaking though, a standard subaru will understeer quite a lot which if you're on a track you will probably find counter productive.

My legacy GT-B was no exception. The negative camber setup makes a big difference, I've heard the ALK even more so although I haven't done that.

I have fitted a bigger rear ARB (adjustable 22mm cusco item) and that made a huge difference. I also have polly bushes, mounts and solid drop links front and rear which helps to tighten things up.

Here's a very interesting article on upgrading handling of a classic GC8. Should give you an idea of the basics.

part one
part two
part three
part four
part five
Old 30 October 2010, 06:13 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

I have an 03 WRX and whiteline anti roll bars front and back (22 rear, 24 front if I remember rightly) and it's made a world of difference on the track.
Old 31 October 2010, 12:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine is a 98 UK, now running BC coilovers after the standard suspension got a bit tired. It's VERY hard though.................
Best start is an adjustable arb on the rear, solid droplinks all round, (they tie the antiroll bar to the car body, so if they are flexible, the car will roll more etc and the arb can't do it's job), then get a suspension geometry setup done. Mine was done at Carnetix im Melton Mowbray, and they are a great bunch of people who know their stuff