ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hi need help please

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2011, 03:46 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi need help please

I have just started looking at scoobys with a view to buying one in the next month or so.
I have never owned a scooby and I am needing a full breakdown as to the differences between the different trim levels sti/wrx/gx etc.

I currently have a modded Nissan Pulsar GTiR which as been fab but needing a faster,newer and bigger car now and always fancied a scooby. Now have a task of trying to find the one that will suit me and my driving style (love flinging car round corners at speed so needs to handel well).

For insurance purposes would like a UK car I have just got back from looking at a uk300 Prodrive sti in black on an 03 plate and looked good but I dont like buying blind and would appreciate some help with explanation of the different variations on them too.
Sorry for all the questions.
Old 03 January 2011, 03:48 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

you av pm
Old 03 January 2011, 03:50 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use the search button on this forum....there must be a thousand posts about model variations.
Old 03 January 2011, 03:59 PM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

i,ve had 3 scoobys now and i'd go for an JDM STI miles better spec and trim and go's like stink,,,,,you can get good cheap insurance try Gary Moulson at Keith Michaels you'l find him on here...
Old 03 January 2011, 04:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Lisa and welcome

Dont worry about the uk/jdm insurance, if anything its sometimes cheaper to get a JDM car, ok it requires a little more pampering (7.5k/6 month service intervals which is just an oil change at the 6 month v 10k 12 month), but for around the year your after (I would get a 2003 JDM as they made some serious changes and "most" come with DCCD which is either a Spec C or a GL, avoid the poverty spec KL which doesnt have these).
The JDM's are twin scroll cars and have more power and torque out of the box, higher rev limit and wider power band v the UK cars, more extra's and are a better drivers car tbh.
If you have a budget then it would be a good idea to say what it is

This one is a little expensive, you can get them for a good 1-1.5k less for a "GL" STI (the GL comes with the drivers pack which is quick rack steering and A-DCCD, the KL didnt).

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2049157.htm

The models changed in 2005 (note the flared rear wheel arches when looking) and the JDM normal STI's came as one single spec, the Spec C's are a light weight version, most having less comforts and all have no soundproofing, 2 basic versions, a 17 inch version and the 16 inch motorsport, avoid the latter as if its not been sorted out then it will have crappy everything (brakes, interior, no front mounted engine oil cooler etc).

Tony
Old 03 January 2011, 05:03 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Hello Lisa,

I would certainly suggest a jdm (Japanese Domestic Model), blobeye, 2003 to 2005. As Tony says, the insurance can very often be cheaper.....I currently have a jdm 05 sti which costs me £540 a year from A-Plan insurance, a UK car would have been £580 a year......plus the jdm will cost you £205 a year to tax, while the UK equivilent is over £400 a year, that's double the money.

What is your budget?

I recommend an STI jdm car, of which you may have to wait a while to find the right car as they are quite rare. The car would need to have full service history and have not been involved in any kind of major accident.

Greg
Old 03 January 2011, 05:37 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Mmm will have to be looking around.
my insurance on my car doubled this year from £32 per month to £70 its an jap import with mods which make up bhp from the 220 standard to 340 ish pos more with re map. nothing has changed this year mods wise so car has to go as its now 20 years old so I guess they looking at its age:-( and availability/price of parts if I have a bump.

currently car tax is round £120 for 6 months so have been checking out the scoobies tax levels for the trim levels using parkers http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-t...50&deriv=22466 seems 03/53 plates not to bad but 05 onwards jump up quite a bit.
or it would have to be a pre 2001 plated car going with the 1600+ tax bracket. I do still like to original cars but next car will be my daily drive to (same as the gtir) so bit concerned with mileage reliability and car age.

lots of factors are going to be helping me to decide price range is up to £5,000 the 03 Prodrive at Graham walker ltd in Chester looked good. unfortunately they were closed today so will have to pop back see how it drives.
No idea what BHP that will be? I am now quite happy to have a high speck standard car less probs to go wrong and more reliable. I am not likely to be modding but that's what I always say till I get it lol.
I will phone my insurance and get a quote to see what it is likely to be.
Old 03 January 2011, 05:50 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
Hello Lisa,

I would certainly suggest a jdm (Japanese Domestic Model), blobeye, 2003 to 2005. As Tony says, the insurance can very often be cheaper.....I currently have a jdm 05 sti which costs me £540 a year from A-Plan insurance, a UK car would have been £580 a year......plus the jdm will cost you £205 a year to tax, while the UK equivilent is over £400 a year, that's double the money.

What is your budget?

I recommend an STI jdm car, of which you may have to wait a while to find the right car as they are quite rare. The car would need to have full service history and have not been involved in any kind of major accident.

Greg
Hi Greg I was righting my post whilst you rote your reply lol
I am with A Plan with the R and it shot up this year. I have not got a problem with JDM cars at all I just thought it may work out cheaper and give me more flexibility for insurance but looks like will get shot in the foot with the tax will have to check sais PLG on V5 not an co2 imissions tax bracket i think mmmm looks like a mine field aghhhhh lol
Old 03 January 2011, 05:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Lisa, any JDM built before the end of march 06 will fall into the "cheap" tax bracket now, ie 215 quid per year, so where as the UK cars are 400+ these wont be

Tony
Old 03 January 2011, 06:29 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Cannot see an 03 Prodrive on GW's site. I bought both my Imprezas from them, pretty decent to deal with.

Are you after an STi or WRX? 5k will not get you much of a newage STi though you should get a decent WRX.
Old 03 January 2011, 06:55 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Hi DNC its not on there website is sat on the forecourt its smart in black but its uk300 prodrive so may go JDM way now :-) after advice from chatting on here

Thank you all for your help everyone i will still need more help thou
I didn't realise there were so many differences of scooby saloons out there
Old 03 January 2011, 07:33 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lisa_z
Hi DNC its not on there website is sat on the forecourt its smart in black but its uk300 prodrive so may go JDM way now :-) after advice from chatting on here

Thank you all for your help everyone i will still need more help thou
I didn't realise there were so many differences of scooby saloons out there
Minefield. JDMs are better, though I only had UK models. If I were to get another I would certainly look at JDM..............problem is they are not so common (talking newage here).

If you are looking for a JDM classic (5k will not stretch to anything else), make sure you get it checked over by someone who is mechanically minded as many have been poorly modified. You could do a lot worse than looking in the For Sale section here.

Good Luck
Old 03 January 2011, 08:22 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Lisa, any JDM built before the end of march 06 will fall into the "cheap" tax bracket now, ie 215 quid per year, so where as the UK cars are 400+ these wont be

Tony

All Uk Cars too are cheaper Tax upto March 2006, not just JDM's. It is any car registered before 23rd March 2006, regardless of country of origin.

Any car registered before 23rd March does not exceed band K, which is £245 per year. I researched this when paying my £435 P/Y, and crying into my hands
Old 03 January 2011, 08:42 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

you will also pic up a UK spec car for cheaper yes its not as good as the jdm but their are more available and you pay a few grand less for what is an inferior car but on the plus side its still a Subaru and not another lowly ranked unreliable marque.
Old 03 January 2011, 09:07 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Lisa,

Hello by the way

The UK300 (This was a UK only special edition car with 18" wheels, prodrive rear spoiler in WR Blue. A few other bits as well) only ever came in WR Blue. Are you sure you don't mean a Sti Type UK with the PPP (Prodrive Perfomance pack). That would make it about 300bhp.

This is why you have to be careful what you buy.

If you post up cars you like on here and sure the lads and girls will advise you

Steve
Old 03 January 2011, 09:38 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve777
Lisa,

Are you sure you don't mean a Sti Type UK with the PPP (Prodrive Perfomance pack). That would make it about 300bhp.

Steve
Hi
ah maybe it was that then it said uk300 prodrive and it was jet black no blue on it at all.
300BHP that would be ok

or maybe someone's just stickerd the car up to look good I have seen that done loads of times on other makes of cars.
I saw a fake GTiR today drive passed me I just laughed.

this is the sticker on it. Hubby took the photo this afternoon.
Old 03 January 2011, 09:45 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

I think someone has put that sticker on. Any pics of the full car ?
Old 03 January 2011, 09:57 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

No unfortunately he only took a pic of that and the numberplate to do an insurance /hpi/crash check thingi on line at home. my phone was in his car otherwise i would have taken a pick of the whole car front side and rear.

I will go down in the week when the garage is open and investigate more I think.

this is why i want to learn about them first so i know what i want to get and get the right car :-)
Old 03 January 2011, 10:10 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

UK 300 only came in WR blue. Was a ltd edition, 300 made, not 300 bhp. Bugeye model with the dodgy rear spoiler
Old 03 January 2011, 11:17 PM
scooby2010.
Scooby Regular

sti type uk with ppp makes it from 265bhp to 305bhp btw yhpm
Old 04 January 2011, 07:41 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by scooby2010.
sti type uk with ppp makes it from 265bhp to 305bhp btw yhpm
That would be 265ps to 305ps, the JDM comes out of the factory with 280ps but pushes more like 310bhp, has smoother power delivery, more torque, better mechanics etc

Tony
Old 04 January 2011, 11:43 AM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Defiantly confused now lol

I would have thought that GW would have de stickerd the car if they were not meant to be on there before they put the car out for sale. as the are reputable garage and don't usually sell chaved up cars that I am aware of.

checked online and it is registered as black so no colour change unless had a re spray and re registered the colour change but i doubt it as the car looked origanal as everything was nice in black.

Its the blobeye model as you call it (roundish lights).

Last edited by lisa_z; 04 January 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04 January 2011, 11:58 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You'll be telling us next that half the STI's out there are actually re-badged WRX's next...

'Cos they are !

dunx

P.S.Assume nothing, read the V5, as an insurance company can't cover a car that's "labelled" wrongly.
Old 04 January 2011, 12:00 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lisa_z
Defiantly confused now lol
Just listen to Tony, that's about all I need say.
Old 10 January 2011, 01:37 AM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Just listen to Tony, that's about all I need say.
Hi
Yep will do :-)

I have been looking at different models and deffo like the blobeye style and as for the trim level it depends on what i can find would like jdm wrx sti but maybe have to wait for that.
Looking like getting a standard 2ltr Sport 1997 ish car as a run around so i can get used to a bigger car whilst selling modded parts off mine then sell the gtir and 2ltr scoob then see how far funds stretch to :-) .

Last edited by lisa_z; 10 January 2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 14 January 2011, 04:12 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Default Eventually found out what it was

Took a run out today and spoke to Neil in Graham Walkers chester and found out its a GX Sport with all the stickers on and some other body mods.

They havnt put it up on website yet but will do soon. its an nice looking car but to slow for me unfortunatly but seen an nice bug eye sti in blue sat right at the back of the showroon parked in the wall i have my eye on
Old 14 January 2011, 05:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Go have a test drive of that blue one Lisa, its not badly priced either though if you want to travel then there will be the odd bargain to be had

Tony
Old 15 January 2011, 08:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Lisa, I would also think seriously about looking at this one
Always worth getting it inspected, no doubt the owner wouldnt have any issues with that plus its a prodrive style and in black/blue mica

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...-car-pics.html

Tony
Old 15 January 2011, 09:09 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...te-bugeye.html

or mine