ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Newage respray.

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2011, 05:26 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage respray.

I have a 2005 STi UK in Crystal grey that has some stone chips on the front bonnet and bumper. There is also a few swirl marks around the car and if i am really **** a few small chips on the rear arch extenders.

I want to have the front bumper resprayed but think if a full body respray in the original colour is not too expensive i might as well go down that route.

Has anyone on here done a full respray and could give me a rough idea of price before i call around.

Any help would be great guys.

Last edited by fastboyslim; 16 January 2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 16 January 2011, 05:41 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

£1000.00 Plus for a full respray. I dosen't pay to be to ****.
Old 16 January 2011, 05:48 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

My 07 STI has a few areas that i'd like touching up but I think i'm going to wait until the winter weather's gone before I book it in. I was quoted around £150 for the bumper doing.
Old 16 January 2011, 06:01 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

£200 for just the bonnet but he said if you do the bonnet the wings should be blended in as well £400 for bonnet plus wings. Those stone chips on the bonnet get on my nerves. So in guessing between £1000 and £1500 for a whole car.
Old 16 January 2011, 06:01 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you get what you pay for when getting a respray...

for a very good job around here full respray looking 2k
Old 16 January 2011, 06:13 PM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

Like whats been said before,you get what youpay for, a 1k respray would see you in tears and having to fork out again or selling the car

If it's just the bonnet and bumper might be best to just get them and the front wings blown over!!!
Old 16 January 2011, 07:23 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Pretty steep, £2000 would be my limit. Now the search for someone good to do the job in Twickenham.

Thanks guys.
Old 16 January 2011, 07:25 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

got my mate to do mine for nothing saying that he does ow me his life
Old 16 January 2011, 07:28 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just about to get a quote sorted so I'll let you know in a couple of weeks
Old 16 January 2011, 08:01 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NEILB1
got my mate to do mine for nothing saying that he does ow me his life

I need mates like yours!!!
Old 16 January 2011, 08:03 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
I'm just about to get a quote sorted so I'll let you know in a couple of weeks
That would be great Jon. Are you going for the original colour or a change?
Old 16 January 2011, 08:08 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Just get what needs to be done and pay good money for it from a respectable and known place. Remember parts will knee to be blown in as said above but when i had some bits done on my old p1, the doors and wings were priced at £150 each, bumper we £150-£200 bonnet £200-£250, pay for what needs to be done rather then getting the whole lot done in my opinion

Good luck
Old 16 January 2011, 08:14 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Cheers Stevie, looks like i am going to need luck.
Old 16 January 2011, 08:28 PM
Mikej857
Scooby Regular

I just had most of my classic repainted and this included repairing the dreaded rusty arches and it cost me £1300 and that that was without having the roof and bootlid painted, but as everyone has already said you get what you pay for, I have full experience of this as I paid £550 previously to have both sides painted and the arches were supposed to be repaired, it was terrible the guy just filled my arches full of filler and within 3 months they started to bubble again and the laquer started lifting all down one side, hence why I had it all redone by someone who I had seen there work before so knew this time it would be done properly.

I would say for the swirl marks you have a good quality polish or clay bar will easily get rid of these with a little hard work and half a day you can work wonders.

I personally would just get the front of the car painted if it just purely because of a few minor defects as a full repaint is very labour intensive and is expensive.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:28 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Just get what needs to be done and pay good money for it from a respectable and known place. Remember parts will knee to be blown in as said above but when i had some bits done on my old p1, the doors and wings were priced at £150 each, bumper we £150-£200 bonnet £200-£250, pay for what needs to be done rather then getting the whole lot done in my opinion

Good luck
Originally Posted by Mikej857
I just had most of my classic repainted and this included repairing the dreaded rusty arches and it cost me £1300 and that that was without having the roof and bootlid painted, but as everyone has already said you get what you pay for, I have full experience of this as I paid £550 previously to have both sides painted and the arches were supposed to be repaired, it was terrible the guy just filled my arches full of filler and within 3 months they started to bubble again and the laquer started lifting all down one side, hence why I had it all redone by someone who I had seen there work before so knew this time it would be done properly.

I would say for the swirl marks you have a good quality polish or clay bar will easily get rid of these with a little hard work and half a day you can work wonders.

I personally would just get the front of the car painted if it just purely because of a few minor defects as a full repaint is very labour intensive and is expensive.
Good advice from both No point in trying to do a 'full' respray as that will involve removing glass, trim and seals if done properly. It's better to isolate the areas that really annoy you and get them done properly. The prices quoted above are what I've been paying too. If you can find someone who is recommended, or whose work you can see makes all the difference. Too many guys want to mask these days and it tends to end in lacquer lifting around trim, mirrors etc. That's a question I suggest you ask, if they are painting a bumper will they strip out and remove or mask and paint on the car?

Only thing I'd add to the above is that clay bars will not remove swirls, in fact, depending on how aggressive they are can induce marring. A good polish and technique will cure most swirls though
Old 16 January 2011, 10:40 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fastboyslim
That would be great Jon. Are you going for the original colour or a change?
Virtually the same colour as it is now, but I am planning to getting everything except the windscreen and rear screen stripped so painted to the edges

I have done a lot of prep myself though and apart from the spoiler the whole car is keyed and ready for the painter to fill and smooth the dings and make his final prep before painting up
Old 16 January 2011, 10:42 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Virtually the same colour as it is now, but I am planning to getting everything except the windscreen and rear screen stripped so painted to the edges

I have done a lot of prep myself though and apart from the spoiler the whole car is keyed and ready for the painter to fill and smooth the dings and make his final prep before painting up
Any pics mate?
Old 16 January 2011, 10:51 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Has anyone ever tried one of those companies that comes to you and touches up chips? Are they any good?
Old 16 January 2011, 10:53 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd
Any pics mate?
Check out the DBM project link in my signature - did some more work today but too dark for pics - more at the weekend
Old 16 January 2011, 11:40 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
Has anyone ever tried one of those companies that comes to you and touches up chips? Are they any good?
Unless you have one or two blemishes and you're selling, stay clear mate