ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What tyre pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2011, 03:03 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tyre pressure

Since the temp has been so up and down lately Im finding keeping a good tyre feel a bit hit and miss. Some days wheels feel nearly flat.

What temp are others running and anyone finding the same thing?

Running 215 40 17 prada spec 2s normally at 32psi all round.
Old 01 February 2011, 06:18 PM
waldmanbrown
Scooby Regular

33psi all round for me
Old 01 February 2011, 08:50 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

If it's a new age, 33 PSI front and 32 PSI back unless 'heavily laden with max passengers and boot full of heavy luggage'. A couple more PSI over inflated by say 2/3 is OK... and some people prefer the harder ride and maybe it could even reduce fuel consumption a little. Not really wise to go below the recommended pressures. The ambient shade temperature really does effect tyre pressures, as does tyres exposed to sun - even weak winter sun heats the tyres up by a surprising amount. I you use one of those little pen sized hand held guages, in conjunction with a foot pump with gauge. I have noticed that if for example you pump up to 33/32 when the shade temp is say 32F, the tyres will read a couple of lbs higher if you check them next day when shade temp is somewhat higher, say 50F. I actually had to let a bit of air out of all my tyres during last week's slightly warmer interlude. Probably best to inflate within orbit of 32/31 in cold weather and 34/33 in warm weather. That is why I always check my tyres weekly with the wheels/tyres cold and shaded from sunshine, and when car has been stopped for at least two hours. You probably know all this already, but there are too many people who do not realise the importance of correct inflation pressures, and the need to do this properly on a weekly basis. The number of times I have checked relatives cars 'for a favour' and found them under inflated by 5PSI and once even under by 10PSI...... potentially dangerous handling cars out there driven by people who also don't bother checking their oil and other fluid levels.