Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2011, 06:46 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My exhaust broke in half!

Oooh, whats that?

.....broken in half!!

So i was driving home from work, and all of a sudden, it sounded like i had gained 50bhp instantly. I thought it was inteference from the stereo at first, turned that off, and no sir still sounded a lot more powerful that i remembered. Bl**dy hell!

Pulled over, went to the back, felt no pressure from the tailpipe. Uh oh! knelt down to check it out and there it is, half of the exhaust hanging down.

Ok, some of you may know, my car has been kept in the storage unregistered in less than ideal conditions for over 2 years. I guess this is what can happen. The joints on the mild steel factory exhaust must've rusted through. Worth a laugh though.

Last edited by Suberman; 03 February 2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03 February 2011, 07:14 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

The underneath of the car looks mint and the exhaust system dont look to shabby either,I cant understand why you didn't feel any pressure from the tailpipe though.pmsl
Old 03 February 2011, 07:27 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
The underneath of the car looks mint and the exhaust system dont look to shabby either,I cant understand why you didn't feel any pressure from the tailpipe though.pmsl
Yes it is mate. Car has only done 4k miles. No pressure, because the half with the tailpipe is not connected to the rest of the exhaust? Worth a laugh though.
Old 03 February 2011, 06:13 PM
-Nic-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems an excellent excuse to get an aftermarket system fitted
Old 03 February 2011, 06:16 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

car is clean...!!...look at the garage floor...looks like its parked in my kitchen
Old 03 February 2011, 06:18 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

at least it didnt start leaving a spark trail down the road i guess
woulda impressed the bloke behind you heh
Old 03 February 2011, 06:46 PM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by -Nic-
Seems an excellent excuse to get an aftermarket system fitted
I can't deny that didn't cross my mind. But that would also change my plans a bit, as i intend to get better wheels as a first upgrade.

Hmmm....maybe the wheels can wait.

You got an RCM system don't you Nic?
Old 03 February 2011, 06:49 PM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby
car is clean...!!...look at the garage floor...looks like its parked in my kitchen
Car is clean. But i don't have a garage unfortunately.
Old 03 February 2011, 07:02 PM
-Nic-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suberman
I can't deny that didn't cross my mind. But that would also change my plans a bit, as i intend to get better wheels as a first upgrade.

Hmmm....maybe the wheels can wait.

You got an RCM system don't you Nic?
Not yet... Am booked in at RCM in April for 3" exhaust system, billet LM400 turbo and 650cc injectors

What wheels are you thinking of?
Old 03 February 2011, 07:24 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

What do you do to keep the underneath so clean?. Do you do a lot of shot journeys?
Old 03 February 2011, 07:44 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Fast and furious nitrous moment
Old 04 February 2011, 12:32 PM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by -Nic-
Not yet... Am booked in at RCM in April for 3" exhaust system, billet LM400 turbo and 650cc injectors

What wheels are you thinking of?
Nice! Bet it's going to a brown pants ride and it's gonig to sound the part too! Looking forward to your feedback Nic.

I'm thinking along the lines of some multi spoke 18s in white. Maybe the RA-R wheels as it fits perfectly and will clear some nice 6 pots in time to come. Also with my limited knowledge in chassis set up, i don't want to mess about with aggressive offset fitments only to mess up the geometry side of things like scrub radius, track etc.
Old 04 February 2011, 12:34 PM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by topshot
Fast and furious nitrous moment
Definitely sounds Fast and Furious if you ask me!
Old 04 February 2011, 12:37 PM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
What do you do to keep the underneath so clean?. Do you do a lot of shot journeys?
Have not done anything TBH. It's clean because the car has only done 4k dry miles. I will try to keep the underside as clean as possible with time to come though.
Old 04 February 2011, 01:37 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

wish my kitchen floor was that clean

its weird how everything is so clean evan the exhaust for a mild system.

for it to snap like that,

must be poor welds thats what i say ,

i just replaced mine with a cobra system not bad for £300 derlivered
Old 04 February 2011, 08:37 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

That's shocking I would have expected the factory system to last almost the life of the car.

I suppose though it does give you a legitimate reason to change the system at least from the downpipe back, I'd go for an RCM or Milltek system personally.

What choices do you have in Singapore? Will you get stung for import taxes if it comes from the UK or even one of the exotic Japanese systems?

Plus of course if you change from the factory diameter system and remove the resonator can you get it mapped locally?

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 04 February 2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05 February 2011, 07:45 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thunder8
wish my kitchen floor was that clean

its weird how everything is so clean evan the exhaust for a mild system.

for it to snap like that,

must be poor welds thats what i say ,

i just replaced mine with a cobra system not bad for £300 derlivered
It's clean because the car is still quite new. I hope it'll stay like that for a long time. No mate, i'm sure the welds are as good as another. But the storage time certainly did not help with a mild steel exhaust.
Old 05 February 2011, 08:22 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
That's shocking I would have expected the factory system to last almost the life of the car.

I suppose though it does give you a legitimate reason to change the system at least from the downpipe back, I'd go for an RCM or Milltek system personally.

What choices do you have in Singapore? Will you get stung for import taxes if it comes from the UK or even one of the exotic Japanese systems?

Plus of course if you change from the factory diameter system and remove the resonator can you get it mapped locally?
It should really. But i think the high humidity over here and the duration it was stored really didn't help things.

We have quite a few choices over here. Japanese brands being more popular. HKS, Trust, Fujitsubo, Blitz, Kakimoto etc and only a few european brands as well such as Remus, Supersprint for the Japanese cars. The European brands we have only cater for European marques such as ABT, AC Schnitzer, Heico, Brabus, Ruf etc.

We do get taxed, but not much TBH. 7% plus the usual shipping and handling fees. So it's not too bad really. A fairly good system from say Fujitsubo costs about £700-800 installed.

But heres the catch, there are selected exhausts approved for use for a certain car by the authorities. In order to obtain approval, the exhausts must have a TUV or Jasma cert depending on where the exhaust is made, and it must fall within certain noise levels when tested locally.

Of course i could just slap on any cherry bomb muffler i fancy and risk getting pulled over by the traffic police and be slapped with a £250 fine! Just ask me how i know. Been there, done that with a Scoobysport system few years back.

That is the other problem, there aren't any good Ecutek tuners unfortunately. And I've had enough of half ar*ed jobs done by so called "tuners" here. The good ones only do Motec, HKS F-Con systems, and i don't wanna go that route.

That said, i guess i'll get it welded back for now. Till i decide what i'm going to do.....
Old 07 February 2011, 03:40 PM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Smile Exhaust fixed

Went to the dealership today. Told the them that the exhaust broke in half while i was driving. Bloke knelt down to have a look and he went.... and asked if i backed my car into something.

After politely pointing out that if that was the case, the tailpipe would've been damaged?! I dropped the car off, expecting them to weld it back at no charge. Picked up the car in the evening with a "new" centre pipe bolted on.

Well it's not exactly brand new, i think these are stock parts taken off Spec C donor cars for the Group N rally. But i'm fine with that as long as it works, afterall i will change the exhaust some time down the road.

Fixed

The drive back home seemed a bit too quiet now and it seems like it has lost some power too.