ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Named and shamed section

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2011, 02:22 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Named and shamed section

What are your guys feelings on having a named and shamed section that gives user names and reasons for being in there can be posted up so that other buyers and sellers weather it be trade or private in the for sale sectons, can see if the people they are dealing with are genuine or not. I think it only fair that people can see info about other peoples buying and selling habbits besides the i trader ratings and info. obv this section should be controlled and only moderators should be allowed to post names and reasons in the section to avoid big 'ding dongs' so to speak. This would give a clear indication of who is good and who is bad. it should aslo state if these people have been banned for life or are still on sn. ive been scammed many times and i know alot of other people hve and are fed up of it. something like this, if controlled properly by moderators surely would be a useful tool?

any thoughts guys......
Old 19 February 2011, 02:58 PM
New_scooby_04

It'll never happen, mate - not unless you want to pay the legal fees that could result for dealing with libel claims!

Also, mods have neither the time, or the inclination to enter into disputes with people buying and selling. All SN can do is provide a sales forum, what goes on in that forum is, I'm afraid, down to the users!

That's not to say we don't care and haven't done anything to make scammers' lives more difficult though, far from it.

SN already has a trader feedback system mate that has all the info you need to make an informed decision about buying from someone

We've also advised people only to deal with people with paid membership (and restricted access to the FS forums to paying members), as the overwhelming majority of any problems that occur involve a non-paying member, who have no paper trail connection to the site.

If people circumvent these steps, be it at their own risk!

Beyond that, there is nowt more we can do within the remit of the site which is a forum, not a marketplace like Ebay!

Let the buyer beware, will ALWAYS apply.

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 19 February 2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 19 February 2011, 03:07 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Fair do's. So What happens to people like finnigen with the vf35 thread in the for sale section at the mo who has been clearly scammed by the guy in question? Do you ban the guy who has clearly taken finnigen for a ride from SN so it's not as easy for him to scam other people? I've been taken for a ride before and it's not nice. Surely these forums are supposed to be a place for owners and enthusiasts to chat and share info and not to get scammed, not that I'm suggesting it's anybody's fault.
Old 19 February 2011, 03:29 PM
New_scooby_04

Was the scam perpetrated by a paying member?

The thing to do there mate, is for the person who is scammed to say as much on the alleged fraudsters I-trader account. That'll prevent it from happening again, as no one's going to buy from someone with an unresolved: "I paid and got squat for my money" comment on their account.

We can ban people, but (just as with the above) there is nothing to stop them from registering another account using a phoney e-mail and doing it all over again under a different user-name.

That's why we always say: don't buy from anyone unless they are a paid up member: much more chance of recourse if things go wrong then!

Prevention is better then cure, getting the ban hammer out just speeds up the process of someone assuming a new identity and ripping more people off.
Old 19 February 2011, 03:44 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

I guess. Have you seen the thread in question? Has it ever been discussed that only paying members be allowed on the site? My bro has a 106 track car and he can't go on saxosport's website to chat to members on thete as you have to pay to get access, but 106 owners which is the forum he uses is similar to SN, you can look but can't post. He us paid up on that site? When you register on SN do you have to give your address? I can't remember? If so, surely everybody having to pay up, give thier address would eliminate fraudster creating phoney accounts as they would have to verify the adress or sumat. I know these are long shots and I might be clutching at straws but somethings Gota be done surely?
Old 19 February 2011, 03:51 PM
New_scooby_04

I can't see us ever limiting the site access to paying members mate (that would be making people pay for part of the forum that they might not even use)........ Although it would make dealing with trolls a lot easier!

The only way of getting verifiable info (people can give false details) with any degree of assurance is to take bank details (even that's not 100%).

The whole problem can be avoided (without any expensive or clumsy intervention) if people just don't take chances. Don't buy anything off a non-paying member and your chances of getting scammed are very minimal!

Problem is that people see what they think is a bargain and just abandon good sense! If something seems to good to be true, it usually is!!
Old 19 February 2011, 04:17 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Yeh but surely, charge people a fiver to access the site. Some people use it to get info, advice etc, surely all the advice on here is worth a fiver of anybodys hard earned. A fiver say buys you partial access to view all SN. If you then want to post or sell you have to upgrade to full membership of the price you charge now per year. That option that lets you sell as much as you want per month you pay for is pants. Any body who's phoney can sell what they want with a different user name each month for whatever the fee is.
If you want to post or sell, you pay the fee for full membership. It's cheaper selling on SN rather than flea bay as you don't have listing fees and final fees etc. When you register you should have to verify your address. SN sends you a letter to your stated address with a code. The new member enters the code on the letter and gets the access. Then SN has all residential details to deal with issues and the extra cash for resources from everybody using SN who's paid wether it be £5 or £10. Surely the above can only be a good thing? On eBay you can get sellers details if your in a transaction with them and it goes **** up. Then matters can be taken higher than SN if needed????

Trending Topics

Old 20 February 2011, 01:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Best of luck getting IB to do anything...........so long as the advertising money rolls in, they are happy.
Old 20 February 2011, 07:58 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by biggazvr6
Yeh but surely, charge people a fiver to access the site. Some people use it to get info, advice etc, surely all the advice on here is worth a fiver of anybodys hard earned. A fiver say buys you partial access to view all SN.
Good luck with that.

A lot use SN for banter etc, check out NSR - can't see the regulars paying a fiver for that - for example.