Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Best way to launch a Scooby on the 1/4?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2011, 03:41 PM
Purdey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to launch a Scooby on the 1/4?

Hi guys need some advice on how to launch a scooby properly

Tried the 1/4 for the 1st time at the weeknd since my cars been finished & to be honest i was totally bollocks. On the road when my cars moving its a dream to drive with the power always on tap.

I dont have launch control & cant justify a simtek ecu.

So here's what i was doing

DIFF on the back setting last green & 2nd last green light as on auto was worse!

Holding the revs at 4000 lights go to green clutch out & go

all i seemed to get was the car bogging down

I can here you all the laughing now.

any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
Old 23 February 2011, 03:51 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a 5500rpm launch and it wont bog
Old 23 February 2011, 04:18 PM
angry_boy
Scooby Regular

With fingers and toes crossed!! :-)
Old 23 February 2011, 04:24 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

As said, in a newage you'll need all of 5500 to get away cleanly.
What a buzz though.
Old 23 February 2011, 04:32 PM
benbrandwood
Scooby Regular

Surely that's going to kill your clutch!

I've given up with mine from the lights, it's 3rd and 4th at 4k RPM which is the fun spot for me
Old 23 February 2011, 04:36 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Launching a scoob this way has the potential to kill any of it.
I was very concerned about breaking it the first time I launched my car, but there is far less drama than you might think.
Let's face it if you're going to race any car it will break sooner or later.
Old 23 February 2011, 04:43 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The problem here is holding the revs. Think of how little throttle you have to hold the revs somewhere. Instead when you see the lights changing, then put your foot to the floor, and when you hit about 5krpm lift up the clutch. Then you've got the revs and the throttle to match.

Or just get launch control on your standard ECU

Trending Topics

Old 23 February 2011, 04:54 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Contact Duncan at racedynamix! When he maps he installs launch control and flat foot shifting. Not used the launch control on mine yet as the clutch is slipping but the flat foot shifting is good. All on the standard ecu! Although I have other mods aswel.

Doug
Old 23 February 2011, 05:31 PM
Purdey
Scooby Regular

cheers for the info guys my car is a newage running 396bhp been tuned by Andy F. Ive got an uprated 6 speed paddle clutch fitted so clutch should hopefully be fine just concerned about it heating up to much for the change into 2nd gear.

I was worried about killing my car so will try higher up the revs next time.

typical me i didnt think i could get launch control programmed on a standard ecu as my cars a type uk sti.

Thanks for the info
Scott

Last edited by Purdey; 23 February 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 23 February 2011, 05:44 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Get L/C added and then when you do launch just side step the clutch.
Old 23 February 2011, 06:55 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Doesn't Andy use ekutec? Does that not have launch control as standard on the map?
Old 23 February 2011, 08:09 PM
Purdey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dougmy06wrx
Doesn't Andy use ekutec? Does that not have launch control as standard on the map?
Yes Andy uses EcuTek but no switchable Launch control standard on the twin boost settings maps on my car.

I think switchable launch control can only be done on the jdm sti.

As far as im aware Andy will only do launch control with the simtek ecu which i dont have.

Im not brave enough to side step my clutch

thanks for the info guys
Old 23 February 2011, 08:16 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Ah ok, I got the launch control with my open source map and never been brave enough to try it. But once my new clutch is in and bedded in I may give it a go. With the power your running you will have caught most things by 3rd gear anyway haha.

Doug
Old 23 February 2011, 08:24 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You don't have to use 5500rpm to be able to launch a Newage cleanly!! If you know what you are doing and use some mechanical sympathy, you don't have side step your clutch either!

There is a bit more to this then meets the eye as there are a whole number of differing factors why you would need to use a specific rev limit for launching. Grip (Tyres, pressures, heat and surface to name but a few) is one of them.
Old 23 February 2011, 09:03 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
You don't have to use 5500rpm to be able to launch a Newage cleanly!! If you know what you are doing and use some mechanical sympathy, you don't have side step your clutch either!

There is a bit more to this then meets the eye as there are a whole number of differing factors why you would need to use a specific rev limit for launching. Grip (Tyres, pressures, heat and surface to name but a few) is one of them.
Shaun there will always be different ways to acheive the same result. I just tell it as I see it.
I tried many ways to get my car off the line cleanly without it bogging down, including 'driving' it off the line and using modest rpm and feeding the clutch.
The absolute best result I have found is to hold the rpm at 5500 and sharply engage the clutch.
This year may be slightly different as I have a Syvecs available with 3 different launch rpm settings installed so it will be interesting to see what is required.
As for knowing what I'm doing I spent 12 years running different cars in competition at the pod up to super gas level.
Mechanical sympathy I have in abundance coupled with a fear of wallet famine
Old 23 February 2011, 09:18 PM
Purdey
Scooby Regular

To be honest Crail's start line is terrible and was covered in sand & gravel at the weekend dont think it was swept once all day

Again thanks for all the advice.

Now my brain is bursting with rev limits, side stepping & the impending bang folowed by divorce lol
Old 23 February 2011, 09:24 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Purdey
To be honest Crail's start line is terrible and was covered in sand & gravel at the weekend dont think it was swept once all day

Again thanks for all the advice.

Now my brain is bursting with rev limits, side stepping & the impending bang folowed by divorce lol
Welcome to the joys of drag racing. Better start saving for that twin plate exedy
Old 23 February 2011, 09:27 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

In my eyes it is all about clutch and throttle control (something that not everyone can do well - although we all think we can).... assuming you are doing it all manually. The better you can do both in harmony, the better your launch can be unaided.

A car will naturally "bog", i.e. the revs drop, if you don't get on the gas well as you start to dis-engage the clutch. Slipping the clutch will help as I'm sure you are aware, and will not require monster revs. Obviously the harder the clutch or the "on" and "off" nature of the clutch, then the harder this can be to achieve.

I could quite comfortably launch my old 500+bhp Spec C with just over 4k revs, cleanly and every time, even with a twin plate clutch. When I was playing at the drag stuff with the standard engine at 370bhp, I could attain a 1.6s to 60ft time using the same method more often than not in the latter part of those dragging days. All of this without the need for LC.

The OP has a standardish car, going by his car profile, so I would suggest that with a bit more clutch and throttle control practice he should have fewer problems without the need for mega revs.
Old 23 February 2011, 09:28 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

In my eyes it is all about Simon de Banke doing clutch and throttle control (something that not everyone can do well - although we all think we can).... assuming you are doing it all manually. The better you can do both in harmony, the better your launch can be unaided.

A car will naturally "bog", i.e. the revs drop, if you don't get on the gas well as you start to dis-engage the clutch. Slipping the clutch will help as I'm sure you are aware, and will not require monster revs. Obviously the harder the clutch or the "on" and "off" nature of the clutch, then the harder this can be to achieve.

I could quite comfortably launch my old 500+bhp Spec C with just over 4k revs, cleanly and every time, even with a twin plate clutch. When I was playing at the drag stuff with the standard engine at 370bhp, I could attain a 1.6s to 60ft time using the same method more often than not in the latter part of those dragging days. All of this without the need for LC.

The OP has a standardish car, going by his car profile, so I would suggest that with a bit more clutch and throttle control practice he should have fewer problems without the need for mega revs.
Old 23 February 2011, 09:33 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You ****!

I have video proof to show I did all my own perfect starts during every round at ScoobySprint in 2009!
Old 23 February 2011, 10:06 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

You ****!

I have video proof to show I did all my own perfect starts during every round at ScoobySprint in 2009!
Old 23 February 2011, 11:00 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

My LC is set at 5400rpm 1bar of boost showing ...

TX.
Old 24 February 2011, 09:55 AM
Purdey
Scooby Regular

In my eyes it is all about clutch and throttle control (something that not everyone can do well - although we all think we can).... assuming you are doing it all manually. The better you can do both in harmony, the better your launch can be unaided.

Ive updated my car spec now.
Old 24 February 2011, 04:10 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Never had the need for launch control and had no problems with consistence 1.6/1.7s 60ft launches.

You just have to nail the technique.

The idea on the launch is to get the wheels spinning the right amount. This can be a balance of the correct tyre pressure and revs. If you are still bogging down at 5500rpm I would try increasing the tyre pressure.

Whatever you do, don't do this or you'll soon be coming to us for a new clutch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR9Le5dcoDQ

A couple of reasonably clean launches:

In car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdF6KxJ1Xag
Outside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owns-sY2Ou0
Old 24 February 2011, 04:29 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Best way to launch, is to forget its your car for a moment.
Old 24 February 2011, 05:32 PM
Purdey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aztec Performance Ltd
Never had the need for launch control and had no problems with consistence 1.6/1.7s 60ft launches.

You just have to nail the technique.

The idea on the launch is to get the wheels spinning the right amount. This can be a balance of the correct tyre pressure and revs. If you are still bogging down at 5500rpm I would try increasing the tyre pressure.

Whatever you do, don't do this or you'll soon be coming to us for a new clutch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR9Le5dcoDQ

A couple of reasonably clean launches:

In car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdF6KxJ1Xag
Outside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owns-sY2Ou0
thanks like the vids
Old 24 February 2011, 05:35 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Don't forget you have an extra 200 kilos to get moving in a newage
Old 24 February 2011, 05:52 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

if its bogging increase the front tyre pressures so the front wheels slip a little on launch , this should help as its the front tyres gripping too much that causes the bogging.
Old 24 February 2011, 07:01 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt

Shaun - did you super impose your face on Simon ?
Old 24 February 2011, 07:07 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

What Scoobian was it (up The Pod) that yanked the hand brake up instead of changing into 2nd gear ?

He had a "senior moment" whoever it was.

Quick Reply: Best way to launch a Scooby on the 1/4?