What Would Scooby Doo?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2011, 10:59 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What Would Scooby Doo?

Evening all,

Some of the older members on here will recall I've had my beloved scoob for 9 yrs now. The reason for the post is get your opinions on a thought that's been on my mind for a couple of weeks now. Basically, is it time to retire the scoob and change to something similar with fewer miles or spend a little on some tlc and keep her?

I'm considering buying another classic. The car will have fewer miles and a little more power. I have seen a couple of cars that fit the bill. Both appear to have been sensibly modded to achieve around 300-330bhp (my estimates based on spec). Both are up for just over £3k.

The reason for considering a change is that mine has now hit 160k miles. Its been my daily drive for 9 yrs and I'm absolutely blown away by the reliability and cheap cost of maintaining the car over all these years. The reliability and longevity has far exceeded my expectation. Over the years, apart from the usual service items, the only other components I've had to change are one clutch (90k) and one turbo (120k). It's a lightly modded car running a Link ECU, induction, decat, bilsteins, brembos etc.

It feels like the clutch is slipping so needs some money spending. Also, I haven't checked but from memory the brakes haven't been changed for a while so again, more money might need spending before the year is out.

Do I spend the cash and keep her or retire her and put the cash into a scoob with fewer miles and no apparent immediate maintenance costs?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your comments.

Rich.
Old 15 March 2011, 12:57 AM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The grass is always greener!

I've had 4 over that 9 year period you have had your's. And looking back i wish i'd kept the first one. There's always the initial excitement when your getting another, but it's usually short lived.
First off, after the novelty wears off, you discover all the little niggles and faults, scrapes scratches etc and end up spending straight away just to make it as good as your last one. Then there's the obligatory oil and filter change, spark plugs... Just because you always do when you get them lol. Then you think... might aswell do the gearbox and diff oil.
It all adds up, and that's before you find anything wrong!

But then i've no room to preach, i never practice what i preach! And you know what they say, "a change is as good as a rest".
Old 15 March 2011, 09:53 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

I was gutted when I had to sell my first classic. She was a beauty, it was a uk 2000. I did the usual, full turbo back exhaust, air filter, sprayed everything body colour, crystal pack, Sti splitter and spoiler. I even put cream leather interior in her .

When I returned several years later I knew it had to be an Sti. I spent most of my time with the 2000 trying to make it as good as or buying Sti parts for it.

I managed to find a standard v4 Sti. The difference in power was exceptional. It would leave the 2000 for dust. The handling, I think the 2000 was a lot better.

I've had to start all over again with the Sti. Like previously said, full service to get it checked out. Then adding bits to make it last. Then spraying, another crystal pack, splitter, spoiler etc. And these are considered the cheap things

I think I'm finally getting to my point. You obviously love your car. You know it well. You know whats been fixed and what hasnt. Don't run the risk of wasting 3k on something that might have less miles but is in worse condition.

Average price for an exeedy organic clutch fitted is about £400.
Old 15 March 2011, 10:35 AM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

i still got my classic,but my mate sold his to get a classic lightweight 2 mths down the line bottom end go`s

the bloke who has his old classic 3 years down the line has only put a clutch in and normal servicing and a remap and still going strong

my mate 3 years down the line is scooby less as his misses went loopy at the £1400 repair bill to fix the engine and when it was fixed was made to sell.

drives a 2000 plate astra and is always moaning as he passes his classic as the bloke lives on the same street.

keep what you got and spent the money to keep it running and looking smart.
Old 15 March 2011, 12:37 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Thx for the replies. I realize the potential dangers when buying used and it's not unheard of to buy a car which then fails. However I do believe that u can minimize this risk by being selective and scrutinizing the history and past owners as well as the type of mods and who installed them. Of course there's no guarantees but if u remain rational rather than emotional when buying it does help.

Of course, like u say, £3k would go a hell of a way towards keeping my car going for a while.

Last edited by SlowBoy; 15 March 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 15 March 2011, 12:42 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowBoy
Thx for the replies. I realize the potential dangers when buying used and it's not unheard of to buy a car which then fails. However I do believe that u can minimize this risk by being selective and scrutinizing the history and past owners as well as the type of mods and who installed them. Of course there's no guarantees but if u remain rational rather than emotional when buying it does help.

Of course, like u say, £3k would go a he'll of a way towards keeping my car going for a while.
But you would never see that 3K again
Old 15 March 2011, 02:00 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Good point bonesetter.

Trending Topics

Old 15 March 2011, 02:16 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

It's a tough call isn''t it. I have a 96 classic STi wagon I have been thinking of letting someone else look after. I've replaced a failed crank, refurbed the heads, gearbox, clutch, suspension and brakes. How much would I get for it? I don't know...2.5K perhaps?
The turbo has started whining now so I guess that's the next thing

What's the alternative? I suppose the only choice is a later bug STi wagon, as these were last wagons to be made with perhaps more reliable parts. I don't want to because I know how the new age scooby's drive

Thing is you'll (we'll) have to move on sooner or later and a 'classic' car of any kind will always be a money pit
Old 15 March 2011, 07:59 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Not necessarily a money pit. Considering I've done 160k with very little in the way of expenses I reckon another classic with say 80k COULD be an economical and enjoyable drive for another 5 or 6 years. I'm not saying that's a given. It could also end up to be nightmare if it hasn't been looked after.
Old 15 March 2011, 08:09 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I would say you've been lucky not to have had a rebuild on your hands - is your scoob an STi/WRX or import?

If I was buying another classic I would like one who's engine had been re-built. Mine lost its crank a month buying (STi import wagon with ~70K miles) and had a FSH, mature owner etc. Still difficult to know what sort of life it had seen though
Old 15 March 2011, 10:36 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Mines a uk turbo 2000. One previous owner FSSH, ex company car. Had urs been mapped for uk fuel when it arrived in uk?
Old 15 March 2011, 10:57 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

No remap
Old 17 March 2011, 11:20 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Bttt
Old 18 March 2011, 01:45 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

hi rich long time no hear
Old 18 March 2011, 05:33 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Yes mate! Hope life is treating you well. I was expecting to see a reply from you recommending a small investment in new wheels and tyres to spruce the wagon up a little

You still with the middx Scooby boys?
Old 18 March 2011, 05:37 PM
scott64
Scooby Regular

have a change mate , 9yrs is a long time to keep a car and a change is as good as a rest or so they say
Old 18 March 2011, 05:44 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

You could always polish her up, get some get canvas pic's made in exotic poses so you've always got some great pics to admire what she looked like before passing her on....