ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Shell taking the p1ss

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2011, 08:21 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shell taking the p1ss

Went to check tyre pressures at the local shll and they now fitted a machine that charges 20p, it's always been free before . Does my head in when they want to charge for something that effects basic safety. I suppose some accountant would prefer us all run will low pressure, so our cars use more fuel...

I go to get change and ask for an economy jet wash (I always do this before a hand wash). He says there's no tokens left, I say you mean you can't be arsed to go and get some from the machine. Fookin' bollocks to it, I drove to another shell to get my economy jet wash, the tyres will wait for another day.

Rant over.

Anders
Old 03 April 2011, 08:27 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

the shell in central birmingham have put there petrol up 4p even though the goverment have reduced it by 1p
Old 03 April 2011, 08:28 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

In fairness, loads of garages have always charged for Air....its just business i guess. You can by small air compressors for fairly cheap these days tho!
Old 03 April 2011, 08:29 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djandyg
In fairness, loads of garages have always charged for Air....its just business i guess. You can by small air compressors for fairly cheap these days tho!
yeah, my local garage has started to charge 50p
Old 03 April 2011, 08:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the foot pump out!!

I don't know - you kiddies want it laid on a plate, don't you!!

Old 03 April 2011, 08:33 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the end, someone has to pay the electric bill and maintain the compressor and they aren't freebies for the garage, and in the big scheme what's 50p a month against the savings in tyre wear and economy for keeping your pressures right
Old 03 April 2011, 08:33 PM
WhatswiththeR
Scooby Regular

I always go to a tyre shop to get my pressures checked (they usually do it for free) at the same time they check the tread wear aswel.
Old 03 April 2011, 08:42 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djandyg
I know and I always thought Shell were differentiating themselves by having 'free' air.

Found this at Halfrauds, won't take long to pay for itself:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...one=PDPz1#dtab
Old 03 April 2011, 08:53 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

it should be free as a gesture of appreciation to there customers who earn them billions per year tbh.

its not as if sheel are struggling - its just they want even bigger profits than the fcking huge ones they already get

the whole point is to make as much money as humanly possible, with no regard for the people who make them the money.

even if franchised then shell as the company should foot the bill - could help with future buisness and improve customer satisfaction, generating more loyalty?

but no, its just greedy greedy *****!
Old 03 April 2011, 08:54 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
In the end, someone has to pay the electric bill and maintain the compressor and they aren't freebies for the garage, and in the big scheme what's 50p a month against the savings in tyre wear and economy for keeping your pressures right
It's the principle of it, my cars done about 70K so I recon that's about 16-17K in petrol and they want to charge 20p to fill my tyres

It's not like they can't afford it.
Old 03 April 2011, 09:05 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

ive only tried to use one once, and it kept letting air out of my tyres rather than putting it in heh
stupid bloody thing must have been borked... went back to my footpump
Old 03 April 2011, 09:09 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I submitted a coupon at my local shell where I get 300 shell points if I fill up 4 times with 15 litres during March. So when I filled up I did 15 litres hung the hose and then did it again (2 lots of 30ltr). Told the cashier I wanted to pay each lot separately and she smiled and said "yes" and ran them through as one lot! Aagh, so I explained her mistake and she says "Im - sorry - I - dont - understand in a very Eastern accent. Explained again and she hadnt got a clue.

Emailed Shell and they replied making it out as though it was my fault but as a gesture of good will they will give me 15 bonus points. They clearly cant understand basic English. So emailed back saying Im not interested in 15 points when I should be getting 300 (said more politely than that of course.) Is it too much to ask to have a basic conversation in English in England and be understood?
Old 03 April 2011, 09:21 PM
IainIainWRX
Scooby Regular

Four times for 15 litres? Geez, for me they keep upping the requirements for their bonus points. I am four times for 30 litres of V Power for my bonus!
Old 03 April 2011, 09:23 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

That's inflation for ya!!!

Boom boom
Old 03 April 2011, 09:50 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

They put new machines in at my local Shell and did the same thing Air is no longer free its official . They also dropped standard unleaded by 1p and increased Vpower by 3p last week double whammy.

Last edited by topman2180; 03 April 2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03 April 2011, 11:20 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

You could always just sit at the Shell garage near the compressor with your halfords pump and only charge the customers 10p, it should soon cover the cost of your new purchase
Old 04 April 2011, 12:10 AM
beastgtir
Scooby Regular

Cant blame shell to be honest, with the old style air compressors people where nicking the front bits or they would drop them and break the readers inside..
Old 04 April 2011, 07:18 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Be careful of the garage compressor readings, I had a friend who used one with a broken reader - ended up 10psi too much all round; he learnt to cope with oversteer really quickly that week.

A cheap digital gauge is useful to just check the pressures are what they say they are....
Old 04 April 2011, 07:43 AM
scoobyhyp
Scooby Regular

thats cheap !!! my local tesco`s its a POUND !!!!!!!
Old 04 April 2011, 08:01 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1
Went to check tyre pressures at the local shll and they now fitted a machine that charges 20p, it's always been free before . Does my head in when they want to charge for something that effects basic safety. I suppose some accountant would prefer us all run will low pressure, so our cars use more fuel...
Anders
I use Nitrogen and they (MeriTyre) top up for nothing.

Originally Posted by SRSport
I submitted a coupon at my local shell where I get 300 shell points if I fill up 4 times with 15 litres during March. So when I filled up I did 15 litres hung the hose and then did it again (2 lots of 30ltr). Told the cashier I wanted to pay each lot separately and she smiled and said "yes" and ran them through as one lot! Aagh, so I explained her mistake and she says "Im - sorry - I - dont - understand in a very Eastern accent. Explained again and she hadnt got a clue.

Emailed Shell and they replied making it out as though it was my fault but as a gesture of good will they will give me 15 bonus points. They clearly cant understand basic English. So emailed back saying Im not interested in 15 points when I should be getting 300 (said more politely than that of course.) Is it too much to ask to have a basic conversation in English in England and be understood?
I seem to recall that the requirement was for each "visit" as opposed for each fill. If that is the case then you didn't comply. Even if that is not the case, you clearly didn't "Fill up" the first time
Old 04 April 2011, 08:07 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gdavey

I seem to recall that the requirement was for each "visit" as opposed for each fill. If that is the case then you didn't comply. Even if that is not the case, you clearly didn't "Fill up" the first time
Do you work for shell as well???
Old 04 April 2011, 08:20 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I go to get change and ask for an economy jet wash (I always do this before a hand wash). He says there's no tokens left, I say you mean you can't be arsed to go and get some from the machine. Fookin' bollocks to it, I drove to another shell to get my economy jet wash, the tyres will wait for another day.

Rant over.

Anders
If you were paying by card then your card wouldnt have worked on the 2nd transaction anyway.
Old 04 April 2011, 08:28 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
Get the foot pump out!!

I don't know - you kiddies want it laid on a plate, don't you!!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

You obviously don't have a bike-mad son, Pete? Last time I wanted our foot pump it was nowhere. Turned up in his wardrobe, he'd been doing a pinch-flat up in his room
Old 04 April 2011, 08:33 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
Do you work for shell as well???
No, but I do have some dealings with Contracts.
Old 04 April 2011, 05:29 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gdavey

Spot on I might give Nitrogen a go, they have an outlet close by

£1.76 per tyre and free top ups.

Anders
Old 04 April 2011, 06:10 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Would it be over-stating the obvious that ordinary atmospheric air is already around 80% nitrogen?
Old 04 April 2011, 06:17 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I think that 20% (22%) makes all the difference...apparently.
Old 04 April 2011, 06:35 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Heard a story once that if a garage doesn't charge for the air compressor then it doesn't have to be accurate. But if they charge then it must provide accurate measurement and inspected etc.
Old 04 April 2011, 06:36 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

I read on the MeriTyre website that it's the other rubish that goes in that doesn't help too, fill your tyres on a damp day and damp air goes in and aparantly that escapes through the tyre dropping the pressure again.

Nitrogen stays in, punctures and dodgy valves excluded
Old 04 April 2011, 07:07 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Spot on I might give Nitrogen a go, they have an outlet close by

£1.76 per tyre and free top ups.

Anders
I normally get it "thrown in" for nothing when buying new sets of tyres @£400 ish.

I read on the MeriTyre website that it's the other rubish that goes in that doesn't help too, fill your tyres on a damp day and damp air goes in and aparantly that escapes through the tyre dropping the pressure again.

Nitrogen stays in, punctures and dodgy valves excluded
... and I guess no or reduced water vapour helps maintain constant pressure and I tend to run 2 or 3 psi higher than norm to compensate.

Last edited by GeeDee; 04 April 2011 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Shell taking the p1ss