ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Bug eye suprised me

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2011, 11:24 PM
Hurhur
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug eye suprised me

ok so I have a mica red classic and have had it 8 months and love it its only got a cat back system,green panel filter and exedy clutch so not a world beater but still fast and fun. Anyway Friday picked up a bug eye which was totally standard and I intended to use it as a daily, while my classic which I babied could have some of the load taken off it and I was convinced the classic was better having made the assumption.

Anyway I drove the bug home friday and I havent driven it until tonight and had a blat over some country roads near my house and I was shocked at the fact it pulled, handled and was genuinly making me smile and infact I prefered it. Its a uk wrx bugeye so nothing special but my my I was impressed and now im unsure whether keeping the classic has any point when im now thinking of sinking my love and cash into this bug eye.

Im sure many have owned both types and im just interested what you think.
Old 05 April 2011, 11:48 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Classic = Raw.
Newage = Refined.

Not much between the two except build quality and about 100+Kgs. Try a Jap WRX Classic then a UK Bugeye and then have another think. My Bugeye wagon had been uprated quite a bit and was about 276/260 and went well. Then I went JDM and won't look back again
Old 05 April 2011, 12:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Thats the problem with classics; Crapp(ier) front suspension (bug and blob ain't really 'that' much better compared to other marques but its an improvement), and the crappy brakes.

Not to forget the leggy UK spec gear ratios - Whilst its great for traffic light races and motorways (had plenty of plays with RAs managed to keep up as they shuffled through more gears), but not so fun on the twisty roads.

Then add age into the factor on the shocks, springs, ARBs, bushings and its not suprising that you'll find the newer car drives better.

For example, you wouldn't belive how bad a set of 15yr old shock absorbers can be when compared to a pair of brand new genuine originals. And they change everything, the ride quality, the handling, the roll, the traction, the grip and the braking. Not saying the bug is any better; its purely down to the type of roads its been driven on.

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 April 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05 April 2011, 12:34 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honeymoon period give me a classic any day
Old 05 April 2011, 08:23 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Wonder if the bug may have been remapped?
Old 05 April 2011, 11:22 PM
Hurhur
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Wonder if the bug may have been remapped?
bug is completely boggo standard.

Well the classic is on ebay with a low starting price if it doesnt go then i shall keep it as it owes me sod all really.

I know they arent the quickest of thier perspective models but still great fun and i just expected the bugeye to be a bit lardy as i had been told they were.

Old 05 April 2011, 11:24 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldnt go back to a classic
Old 06 April 2011, 03:13 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Good choice... Bugs are the best!!
Old 06 April 2011, 03:38 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

I have a classic RB5, fairly heavily modded with exhaust, ECU, headers, front mount, injectors, coilovers, six speed etc etc, and also an 05 sti, remapped to approx 350bhp with exhaust, pump etc....only got the blobeye in January there and tbh was expecting to be a bit disappointed, as its a much heavier car but i was far from unimpressed

The newage is a great car, theres no doubt about it, and if you go with the sti you get brembos, six speed box, and loads of goodies. With the newage i have found it to be a great 'get in and go car', very refined but good power and you can go a blast in it with no worries, its a real good package

However, the classic is much more raw, loud and in yer face and is definately much more fun out on the road, although i just wouldnt want to drive it every day becasue of this

Newage for everyday

Classic for fun

Kevin