simtek ecu injector drivers failing

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2011, 12:13 AM
magicseven
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default simtek ecu injector drivers failing

Hi guys,

Has anyone had problems with Simtek ECU?

I am at my limit of patience with the ECU, it's inconsistent, doesn't idle the car well at all and as far as I am concernedo the Simtek is prone to injector drivers failing, or more rarely (but has happened).

Last edited by magicseven; 21 April 2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 21 April 2011, 01:04 AM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

Been running simtek for over a year. Initially when i had it set up I had the idle problem but took it to Bob Rawle and not had it since! Injector drivers.....not heard about that??
Old 21 April 2011, 07:28 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have been a SimTek dealer since the very early days and I personally own and drive two cars fitted with them. The idle issues associated with the SimTek ecu are NOT an ecu problem, with proper tuning they can be sorted. If your current tuner won't or can't fix it, either myself or Steve Simpson will be only too glad to help.

The injector driver fault you mention has happened on a very small minority of ecus considering there are over 1200 in existence. We have seen one in 4 years and we have fitted a fair few aswell as remapping a fair few more. As you don't currently have a fault and are only speculating, treat it like a tooth ache, if it happens send it back and get it fixed !

Martyn
Old 21 April 2011, 08:19 AM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

I'v had a Simtek from the early days (no.62) and had no faults with it, yes the idle can be a bit random sometimes but its never been enough to really bother me. Now if they would only bring out active knock control..........
Old 21 April 2011, 12:53 PM
magicseven
Scooby Regular

Hmm send the simtek ECU back to get the injector drivers fix free of change? Software related this problem? It is like my car is miss firing on cylinder 2 and afr is 10s to 11s on idle at normal temperate.
Everything has been checked and checked HT leads, Coil pack, Spark plugs, injector plugs wiring, injector. 2 and 4 injector have been swapped around and I still got same problem.
Old 21 April 2011, 01:15 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Had my simtek fitted over 5 mths ago by Duncan initially had the idle problem but Duncan soon sorted that.
Had no other issues whatsoever seems perfect , maybe you got one of the small % that is faulty, get it changed and installed by a "quality" mapper then hopefully problem solved mate.

Keep us informed of your approach ?
Hope you get it all sorted out soon .
Old 21 April 2011, 04:52 PM
magicseven
Scooby Regular

A injector drives failing means two things it's a ticking time bomb or stuck injector will certairly create a problem for engine due to bore wash.
Old 21 April 2011, 06:58 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Bare with it mate, set up properly these ecus are fantastic, heard a lot of people having probs with idle, mine idles better than most cars i have had, i have better idle than my previous subaru and that was on standard ecu.
Old 21 April 2011, 08:01 PM
magicseven
Scooby Regular

I am not really worry about idle at this moment in time, I am sure my in injector is stuck open on idle now. This happened after hard driving and the problem is only cylinder 2. This ecu has software issue with the injector drives on the board this is fuelling is very bad news for the engine could go bang.
Old 21 April 2011, 08:22 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

u sure that bank 2 has not earthed out, bad wiring and not an ecu problem?
Old 21 April 2011, 08:24 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

How do you know its the ecu thats at fault? have you run software on this to see its holding the injector open?
Old 21 April 2011, 08:45 PM
magicseven
Scooby Regular

The car was running great everything was spot on.... hours have been spend on map this car.
I could work out it why cylinder 2 was running rought. To rule out all issue we done the following compression test done fine, new spark plugs, new coil pack, new ht leads, injector have been flow tested again wiring has been replaced. I don't take short cuts we my baby.
Old 21 April 2011, 09:41 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Not being funny mate but the mapper would see a fault in the values when mapping it so it cant be mapped corectly or the map would be all over the place if there was a problem. i would take it to a mapper with a good rep, not saying the guy that does your mapping does not know what he is doing but if he is setting gains on inectors it would show up that there is a software problem.
Old 21 April 2011, 09:59 PM
magicseven
Scooby Regular

Hmmm funny that, hoplefully this bank holiday monday when I have some free time I will get my labtop on it..... Just another learning curve Jay.

Last edited by magicseven; 23 April 2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 21 April 2011, 10:21 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

I dont get it, im not trying to be funny, are you mapping this yourself?, surely when mapping it would not be able to set injector values if there was a driver issue. im no expert mate but things like that would show up in the mapping software.
i hope u get it fixed mate but i would get a mapper with good experiance to sort it, jgm mapped mine and cant fault the simtek, my mate had nothing but bother with his untill he changed his mapper. used to cut out at junctions and run really rich.
Old 12 October 2011, 10:49 PM
magicseven
Scooby Regular

Default simtek ecu injector drivers failing

Hi guys

I had the ecu checked out by the main man him self, no problems with the simtek unit.

Thank you for all your help Steve

We found the problem in the end it was the shim on exhaust outlet that popped out on me!!

A big thanks to Paul at Zen for diagnosing the problem for me...

All sorted now....

Last edited by magicseven; 12 October 2011 at 11:39 PM.