Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Worth stripping the car instead of selling as a full car?

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2011, 08:38 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth stripping the car instead of selling as a full car?

Seriously thinking of getting rid of the Impreza, just wondering how much more money I would make stripping it rather then selling as a complete car seeing as the bodywork lets it down a bit yet it has some nice stuff on it such as DCCD PPG box with R180 rear diff etc, coilovers, carbon backed seats, carbon bonnet....

I don't get much spare time, so stripping would be a pain, but I doubt I'd get much for it if I sold it complete.

Do people normally recover considerably more cash by stripping them down?
Old 23 May 2011, 08:45 AM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

It all depends on the parts... and by the sounds of it yours has some nice goodies on it. Just remember, the money will come in bits and drabs, and you could have bits laying around for months.
Old 23 May 2011, 09:40 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Problem is the car is a MY99 UK model so isn't worth much, gearbox will add a bit of value, but everything else probably doesn't. And the bodywork really does let it down, needs a respray.
Old 23 May 2011, 10:10 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 257 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
Problem is the car is a MY99 UK model so isn't worth much, gearbox will add a bit of value, but everything else probably doesn't. And the bodywork really does let it down, needs a respray.
What miles it done? I'd selling in whole, depending on what you would want if you did sell whole?
Old 23 May 2011, 11:32 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

It's done 75k, I'd probably want £5k for it, but very much doubt I'd get anywhere near that unless I split it. Might keep it yet, not sure. Got plenty of bits to sell before I think about what to do with the car. Trying to raise some money for building a garage and doing other stuff on the house.

Last edited by Saint AAI; 23 May 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 23 May 2011, 03:27 PM
ad uk
Scooby Regular

5k for a classic uk 2grand if it needs a respray there dirt cheap now mate if you look in rite places
Old 23 May 2011, 03:48 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

agreed

i would strip it,classics are worth peanuts these days,unless its a limited or sort after model,you will never get back what it cost you originally to add all the bits

but,when i say strip it,i mean strip all the aftermarket bits and replace with standard parts(if you still have them)when back to standard sell on the full car

TBH mate,you aint gonna get 5 grand for it are you,a friend of mine has just bought a p1 for 5 grand with lower miles

marcus

Trending Topics

Old 24 May 2011, 06:04 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I know I'm not going to get 5k as a whole car, that's why I think I'm going to strip it. Drivetrain is worth more then 2k on it's own if I take it off.

Also got chargespeed front wings and rear over fenders, C-West front bumper, Zero/Sports back bumper, Side skirts, Jun grill, Seibon bonnet, Do-Luck rear wing, STi lights, Cobra Misano S seats and retrimmed rear bench, VF29 turbo, turbo jacket, Stainless exhaust manifold, upipe, de-cat downpipe, Nur Spec R, Aeromotive FPR, Walbro pump, Exedy flywheel, AEM wideband set up, Blitz boost, oil pressure and exhaust temp gauges in a carbon pod, coilovers, anti-lift kit, front and rear strut braces, H-brace, brake cylinder stopper kit, silicone inlet hose, induction kit, front mount intercooler, HKS SSQV, Ecutek mapped ECU etc..... Then there's the standard bits that are left such as engine, dashboard, front brakes, lights etc..

I think I'd probably get 3k as a complete car without the bodykit, but only because of the PPG box. I think I might be able to claw back 5k if I split it, but then have the time and effort involved in that plus the hassle of finding buyers and posting bits. Not sure if that hassle is worth the extra I'd get. I have no standard bits to put back on, I sold them all.

Last edited by Saint AAI; 24 May 2011 at 06:07 AM.