ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New UK spec MY01 or 2nd hand grey WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2001, 10:13 AM
Scooby-dude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've never driven a Jap spec but I'm on the verge of ordering a UK spec MY01. Would it be wiser to spend the same cash on a 2nd hand grey WRX? I can't afford a P1 or a UK STi when they come out, but 20k+ seems a lot to spend on a 2nd hand car.

I would appreciate some enlightenment from you wise old boys.

(go easy on me- this is my first post )

Thanks
Old 25 March 2001, 10:29 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

You'll probably get the usual answers here. Import owners saying to import and UK owners sticking with UK.
At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice really. Try to get a drive in both cars though before you buy.
Things to bear in mind would be: running costs, repairs, servicing, warranty, insurance,residuals etc.
Remember UK cars have a comprehensive three year warranty which could save you loads of bucks should you have any problems.

Cheers

Chip.
Old 25 March 2001, 09:41 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Wink

scoobydude
hold on to your cash a bit longer mate, the price of the my01 is getting lower at supermarkets seemingly all the time !
Old 25 March 2001, 09:54 PM
david
Scooby Regular

in response to chips post, and owning an Sti V myself (my previous car was a UK spec scoob), I would say the following....

running costs : the same, I get the same mpg from my sti V that I did my MY98
serviceing : the same, plenty of places to service greys
repairs : plenty of places to repair greys, loads of grey dealers who will do this for you, and also places like scoobysport will handle repair work
insurance : slightly more shapping around to be done, but good deals around (see insurance section)
residuals : if your buying second hand then in theory, you should be better off

Buying second hand, check the car out thoroughly shop around, and, you get what you pay for.

Dave
Old 25 March 2001, 11:50 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Go for the new shape. I'm way used to the way mine looks already and am confident that the driving experience will be superior in the long run.

I can remember everyone telling me how pig ugly my car was in 98.
Old 26 March 2001, 08:03 AM
BT52
Scooby Regular

Sorry Gastro but thats exactly what I looked for.
They are 18,995 and thats an extra 1000 for air-con and an extra 600ish if you want 17" wheels.

The new one has those as standard and can be picked up from Belgium for £16,000

[This message has been edited by BT52 (edited 26 March 2001).]
Old 26 March 2001, 09:55 AM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Red face

Oh well - could have sworn my dealer was selling them with aircon for 18K all in .......
Good luck with the goldfish !!

Gastro

Trending Topics

Old 26 March 2001, 10:03 AM
BT52
Scooby Regular

Ex-demo maybe?
I had a good hunt around, and they were only green ones and red ones left at the start of March and they refused to budge on the price.

"Goldfish" That's a new one. Guess I better try getting used to it though. I don't think it's that bad anymore, I think the biggest factor in the front end change is that the shape of the new grill is upside down compared to the old one (ie wider at the bottom rather than the top).

I bet people would like it a lot more if it had the old shape. Wonder what it would look like.
Old 26 March 2001, 11:47 AM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

You might even be able to get some *VERY* keen deals on a MY00 (brand new) Scooby --> then you get good value (usually 17-18K), 3 year warranty, lower insurance rates than an import and a better driving & better looking car than a MY01 !!
Obviously I'm not biased at all But you'll need to shop around for the few remaining ones still unregistered & colour can be a problem of course !

Good luck,
Gastro
Old 27 March 2001, 09:37 AM
Scooby-dude
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks a lot guys; Clear as mud now!

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, but as suggested, I have a go in both before I decide

Thanks again,

Scooby-dude
Old 27 March 2001, 03:50 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Be interesting to know your decision and the reasons why.

Chip.
Old 27 March 2001, 06:08 PM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

I am sure i saw an importer selling Jap Spec WRX's - non STI, but 250ish BHP, folding mirrors etc for about 19K. It was probably Litchfield so maybe have a look around and see what you gets for your money.

Don't suppose this helps

Cheers

Richard
Old 27 March 2001, 06:41 PM
555 BOY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Go for the new 'Bug-eyed Beauty' ,Honestly it definately grows on you with time,infact a guy at work has got an my00 and after the initial shock of the new shape collegues are now slagging his off(I thought the day would never come)!
The main consideration I had was the interior quality and the my01 is far superior in that field,smoother quieter ride,plusher interior,ac as standard and generally a better car to 'live with' and well at the end of the day 'You don't see what it looks like when your in it' ?

Go on you know that you want to,but 'Beware of the voices' !
Old 27 March 2001, 07:36 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Whether you buy a UK car or an STi you want a big discount, UK dealers have have Brand New unregistered cars with full UK warranties for £19K or less (look in the back of autocar!). Supermarkets have them for £18k or less. As for a Secondhand STi bear in mind that you can get brand new STi 6 models for £20k (exchange and mart). And low mileage 5's can be had for £15-£17k (Great Trade Centre had a 99V @ £15995). But there is a huge spread on prices, some people are still asking £25k for an STi 6!

If it were me I'd look at very cheap MY01 (import for £16k or so) or spend £12-£16k on an STi 4-5. Probably best way to avoid big losses. Certainly I wouldn't go and buy a new MY00 UK from your dealer, despite it's great shape, they are too common to hold their value!

A new Jap WRX is probably a good way to go, and if you can find a Jap contact you would be able to pay much less than Litchfield's £19k price. (Cost in Japan is now circa £13-14K I think )

Jon

Old 27 March 2001, 07:56 PM
555 BOY
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmmmmm Don't believe everything you see advertised in magazines,it is usually a carrot dangling off a very long stick !
Old 27 March 2001, 08:53 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Agreed 555 Boy, but there are a large number of unsold scoobies in the UK, these ARE being discounted by dealers and whilst the prices are advertised the values of the old cars will only fall . Gone are the days of waiting for a scooby, most dealers have several available from stock and discounts are big!

If you look on the autotrader website, only the cheapest cars are being sold, many are on for a long time and you can see the prices being reduced. Its a shame because a brilliant car is now being afflicted with normal car residuals. IM got it wrong really (got greedy with the P1 and all subsequent cars) - If there was still a waiting list, residuals would be good!