Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Why r people so scared of the inside lane??

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2001, 05:47 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I've spent all this weekend driving.

M25, M11, A12, A127, A45, A14

Why do people insist on staying in the outside lane when there is nothing on the inside for at least half a mile, and in most cases a lot more.

To most people I give one gentle flash incase they are not aware that I am behind them, this then seems to get them all exited - over one quick flash!

I've had people swear, make hand signals, slam there brakes on and others insist on not letting me past by swerving over both lanes.....what the f##k is this all about. Are they all insistent on reaching an early grave through a heart attack?

Please just use the inside lane when you are not overtaking and it is empty. I'm sure I've read somewhere that if you are going to be out for longer than ten seconds you should pull in. Maybe on your test now days you get told it's ten minutes!!

Moan and groan over......
Old 25 March 2001, 06:00 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I know what you mean...

A couple of weeks ago did a 1357 mile ski trip to Switzerland. OK, they tailgate you to get you out of the outside lane (when you are clearly overtaking....) but lane discipline on the continent is 100 times better than here.

On the way back, came out of the Eurotunnel, hit the first roadworks in 1300 miles within 1 mile, then the normal chaos on the M20, M25, M11 with the inside lane empty and everyone bunched up in the outside lane.....********
Old 25 March 2001, 06:02 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I know just what you mean. Some times you can find 2-3 miles of empty inside lane with no one using it whilst the other lanes are quite busy. I have just taken to bombing along undertaking people. Although strictly wrong nobody seems to bother and I am always alert for people dropping back to the inside lane as I pass. Occasionally the sight of a car doing around 90 in the "slow" lane whilst the "fast" lane is bumper to bumper at 70 seems to make people realise something is not working out properly and they start moving back over.

I have noticed in other countries such as France the whole thing works much better and people really do just use the outside lanes for overtaking. Even cars travelling very quickly drop back to the inside lane even if they can see they will have to move out again to overtake very soon.

If the French can manage to respect this I'm sure the law abiding Brits could if they tried hard enough.
Old 25 March 2001, 06:04 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Red face

Replied at the same time as Dave T-S, makes me look like a parrot as I've just repeated him.
Old 25 March 2001, 06:04 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I was going to post a topic on the same subject but you beat me to it! I was on the M55 last night at about 00.30 and saw at least five cars all in the middle lane, each time without another car in sight. I took to blasting up the inside and giving them a dose of the horn! It was the same on the m1 today. It really gets my back up!

Bob
Old 25 March 2001, 06:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Boost

Don't worry, i'm a Muppet and that's worse than a parrot.........
Old 25 March 2001, 08:43 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Red face

I am sure it's getting worse as well. 2 years ago I used to commute 150 miles a day and it was fairly bad back then. Now it is getting ridiculous.

See my earlier post about the Fat F*ck in the Red Puma for extra evidence.

I think I will go back to tailgating the arseholes - thats what they do in Europe and it flows freely as mentioned by Dave TS.

Trending Topics

Old 25 March 2001, 08:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

If the inside lanes are empty I use them myself - simple

Make much faster progress that way - and I dont think undertaking is illegal as such, only if it is done dangerously or without due care?

Pete
Old 25 March 2001, 09:02 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm with Pete on this. Get it every morning on the M25 and M4 - I've just taken to using the inside lane and going past all the morons stuck in the outside lane

Chris
Old 25 March 2001, 09:19 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Stokenchurch south bound on the M40, Outside lane grinds to a halt almost every day. Most people still think the lanes are called slow (only for lorries), cruising, and fast. You also get "I'm doing the speed limit so why should I move brigade". These are the people who zoom past you in fog/very heavy rain and tail gate you in 30 zones. Most people also only pay attention to cars in front of them in their own lane so don't know the inside lane is empty.
Old 25 March 2001, 10:07 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Yeah I agree as well
lane discipline in UK is very bad,and people seem to be drving slower too.And they get all funny when you overtake.
Old 25 March 2001, 10:20 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

SiCotty,

i too have noticed the Stockenchurch phenomenon! I tend to hit that stretch about 06:30 in the morning (when i am heading down South), and it is _always_ bad.

Maybe it is the drivers being extra careful and pulling out of lane one well before junction four

mb
Old 25 March 2001, 11:51 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

King of the roads get my goat.
Blocking a lane should also be put as dangerous driving.
I'll happily do any speed in any lane, If its an empty motorway at 3am then I'll normaly stay where I am, but at bussy times I have been accused of swerving in and out, more like over take & go back to where I can from so others can pass if they wish.

Old 26 March 2001, 09:31 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I would watch out for undertaking as I got a dangerous driving conviction for that one.

I must admit to not using the inside lane (although I will always pull over to let someone past). Why you ask. Because the inside lane is so heavily used by HGVs it invariably has deep ruts and potholes. In a hard riding scooby this makes for an extremely unpleasant ride and doubtless does my tyres and suspension no good at all.

Lane discipline in general is appalling and increasingly nowadays you get the sanctimonious " I'm doing 70 so there is no reason I should let them overtake" approach.

You reckon its bad here try going to the US.
Old 26 March 2001, 10:05 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Know what you mean about the US. I was recently in Miami and was amazed at the way people lane drift and cut each other up without indicating. It just seemed accepted behaviour.
Old 26 March 2001, 11:26 AM
merlin
Scooby Regular

At the moment I believe officially you can only undertake if the outside lanes are queuing - not sure if all cars in the outside lane doing 60mph counts as queuing though?

I think one reason why people do not move over is because they don't want to get 'trapped' behind a lorry in the slow lane and then find it difficult to get back out into the fast lane to overtake, because no one in the fast lane wants to let them back in... So if people were more considerate letting cars from the slow lane back into the fast lane, then perhaps the lane hoggers would do less hogging...

There's also a feeling in the fast lane that you can & want to go faster than the car infront, so you'll stay in the fast lane in the hope that the car infront will move over.

Allowing undertaking officially like in the US is the answer IMHO. Apparently it has been considered here but dismissed because people are not used to cars on their left undertaking and it would hence lead to more accidents. However with the ever increasing traffic jams and the poor utilisation of many motorways because people do not move over, then undertaking is one option that could and should be tried. Maybe initially on a trial basis only, say on the M25 and M4 where there are few Sunday afternoon drivers and from what's already been said may already be happening unofficially...

That's my tuppenth' worth.
Old 26 March 2001, 11:37 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

There's probably nothing wrong with the American system but I think used properly our system would be much better.

There was very little about motorways in my driving test, six years ago so I can only assume the older generation had even less, surely this is to blame? I'm all for regular tests, I think this would go a long way to improving standards, reducing accidents and making driving more enjoyable. It might even put a stop to four people looking at each other, wondering who's gonna go first at minirounabouts!

Bob
Old 26 March 2001, 12:15 PM
Aero
Scooby Regular

People don't seem to realise either that the quietest tarmac is usually on the left hand lane (probably as none of them have tried it)....

I was driving in Italy the other week, it's simple, whoever is going fastest has right of way, and you make sure you get out of their way, no one gets upset and it works...

Their attidtude to other drivers is far more accomodating. I looked to the right as I pulled onto a roundabout, then i should have looked left. Stomped on the brakes, half way into the path of an oncoming van. There where no fists or tosser signs shaken, he just drove around the front of the car.

We are too territorial here, people see other motorists as a nuicance, and go to extreme lengths in order to 'beat them'. We need some serious education on these matters and quickly.
Old 26 March 2001, 12:22 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by pslewis:
<B>If the inside lanes are empty I use them myself - simple

Make much faster progress that way - and I dont think undertaking is illegal as such, only if it is done dangerously or without due care?

Pete[/quote]

Pete
I suppose you HAVE to use the inside lane cos you are speed restricted with that old trailer tent mate

Old 26 March 2001, 12:48 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have just got back from the Belgium meet.

I have to say a big well done to the Belgian and French autoroute users. We had a convoy of 9 Scoobs and Blowdog's Evo not exactly adhering to the legal speed limit

All the locals had excellent lane discipline and the only times we got caught up by mobile road blocks was by English drivers in Volvos and MPVs returning to their ferries and they took ages to get out of the way.

I mean, our group weren't exactly travelling in stealth mode!! Are these people blind?

Sean

PS See the International forum for a report on the trip
Old 26 March 2001, 02:29 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

i used to get really mad about that. Id come up behind a vehicle with nothing in the inside lane, i give them a long distance flash so that they can tell a car is coming, then if they dont move i quite simply use the other lane. Im not justifying it its just a fact.

People then say, thats dangerous etc, but in all my time i have had many more people pull blindly into the fast lane and try and ram me when im side by side them cos they never look over their shoulder i have NEVER had anyone swerve back into the inside lane to accidentaly ram me.

Though of course i dont carry on and high speeds just cruise past. Honestly it used to make me so mad i would want to kill someone so i see it as safer to just pass them and be on my way.

As u said, people always go mental and threaten to kill u if u flash them?? hello it was lights not a petrol bomb or a bat...

funny thing when u come up behind someone and u flash them they eventually pull over even though they are catching a car and they are saying to all their passengers who does this guy think he is... im about to overtake that next car... so when he grudginly pulls over wham he sees 4th gear mega boost and your past in 1 - 2 seconds and gone out of sight, hes never even had to let go of his accelerator, they just dont know how qucikly u will accelerate up to pass them and NOT hold them up!

madness

rw
Old 26 March 2001, 04:34 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Angry

yep I was going to post on Friday as well, but I got home late coz I had a blow out.

Amazing 60 down the outside lane on the M25 with an empty inside and middle lane. Had a look and considered undertaking but my conscience got the better of me.

Did the old flash thing but no movement. Gets my goat..... it really s dangerous driving in a different guise, but I guess Tony is happy because it means we are all keeping to the speed limit.

Frustrated

Dave P
Old 26 March 2001, 04:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Let me spell this out for the hard of thinking:
Inside lane - Lorry lane, just for lorries!
Middle lane - car lane
Outside (or as i like to think of it) Fast/overtaking lane
The sooner you so called 'proper drivers' adopt this the better off we will all be

I'll get my coat, pipe and flat cap.....

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 26 March 2001).]
Old 26 March 2001, 04:49 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave P:
<B>but I guess Tony is happy because it means we are all keeping to the speed limit.
Dave P[/quote]

Or, I bet Tony is upset because no one is speeding, getting caught and bringing lots of cash into his coffers....

<B>N</B><I>i</I><B>m</B><I>B</I><B>u<I>S</B></I>
Old 26 March 2001, 05:02 PM
PaulFisher
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm really glad this annoys everyone - not just me.

I had a person chatting to her mate, really involved in some deep conversation about 'wings' or something the other day in the outside lane completly oblivious to everything... so I never flash anybody unless I'm really in a hurry,... and I was getting late for a job interview!

So I flashed her.... nothing... minutes pass... I flash her again... nothing... so I then flashed her a third time - by which time she finally notices me!

best thing is I whizz passed, pull into the middle lane, then guess what? she pulls back into the outside lane again... Words fail me. why? there were no roadworks, signals, junctions,... anything? mad.

I'm not like one of these lunies you hear about, but I just really wanted to put a large custard pie in her stupid face, revolve it from between 02:00 - 10:00 several times deliberately and slowly, and then let it fall off and watch the confused expression.

I also get really wound up when youre in the outside lane in a line of traffic, then the guy behind you undertakes you, then pulls in front of you! (Into your safe braking distance) t*ssers - really bugs me, and I think its a lot to do with the fact that everybody buches up too close to each other nowadays - its so theres not enough of a gap for the clowns who undertake you!

just my 5p's worth! (I'll just get my coat)

Paul.
Old 26 March 2001, 05:50 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I'm glad most people seem obsessed with the outside lane. I use the M25 each day and just sit on the inside lane the whole way. Moves just a quick as lane swapping and sittting in the outside.

My Ex used to be a middle lane hug and used the excus her Panda wasn;t powerful enough to overtake if she came up behind a lorry. What a crap excuse.. until I drove it.

I know I should know this but I'm unsure what is determined as undertaking. If I'm going at 60-70 on the inside whilst the middle on outer lanes are moving at 40-50 becuase of the lane hoggers am I in the wrong ??

AllanB
Old 26 March 2001, 08:32 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Annoys me too.

I think I understand, though, why it happens.

Idiots and brain-donors aside, the problem usually occurs when the volume of traffic exceeds a certain threshold.

When this threshold is exceeded, the traffic naturally slows down for a variety of reasons, but mostly because of tail-gaiters and late-brakers.

You are then left with a queue of traffic travelling below the speed limit in the outside lane, and no-one wants to yield to the car behind.

Why? - Because they're too busy being held up by the car in front!

The ONLY solution (IMHO) is to allow overtaking on the inside.

Rich
Old 26 March 2001, 11:26 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with you all,

I tend to pull level with them in lane 1 (so they know I'm there !) then lift off move to lane 2 then pull level in lane 3 then overtake pull back into lane 2 then indicate into lane 1 ..... long winded but 9/10 they do move over after they have had a scoob legally in all 3 mirrors ( if they use 'em ) .....

It's on duel carriageways that they really get my goat, I do 60 miles a day on the A42 and everyday there is a least 2 or 3 ditherers in lane 2 who have absolutly no idea where/what/when they are and just cruise along ignorant/oblivious to the world around them in their own steel caged envoirenment, I really do hate flashing them out of the way but after a while 520w of PIAA's finest has to be unleashed just to wake them from deep sleep ......

K
Old 26 March 2001, 11:46 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Wink

Have you been in the inside lane on the M25, clockwise, just after the A21 joins it (J3 or 4?) - never again. A terrible piece of tarmac IMO, I'd prefer to keep my fillings

Justin
Old 27 March 2001, 07:37 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Also motorways would be safer if people used them properly. It actually requires concentration to move between lanes rather than just sit on the outside lane.

more four penneth worth from....

Dave

Quick Reply: Why r people so scared of the inside lane??