ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2001, 05:37 PM
Paul STi 5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

My v5 Type R understears real bad. Its running 225x35x18 p-zero tyres (I know 18's wont help,but they look cool), modded eibach springs on standard shocks.

Any ideas without spending £1200 on Leda stuff.
Old 26 March 2001, 06:06 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Smile

Paul,

Can't answer your question, but am interested in hearing about the ride quality of your TypeR.

I am also contemplating putting 7.5 x 18" rims on my STI V TypeR but am concerned about ride quality. I know you have changed to Eibach's but did you try on original springs?

Your experienced views would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris.

p.s. what wheel/tyre combo. did you go for?
Old 26 March 2001, 09:44 PM
buddy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Guys,
No offence but do you want looks or handling, my 5 type r is **** hot with the standard wheels and bridgestones.These cars come out of the factory almost perfect,
Buddy
Old 26 March 2001, 10:57 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Paul

(Apart from wrong forum )

Have you had the geometry done - ie Prodrive settings? Dials out most of the u/steer. I had PD settings, then Eibachs which gave a bit more neg camber (I think its that one) & u/steer was gone. Also decent tyres helped (as in not RE10s).

Now running Leda with PD (+ a bit) settings & although if I really push, I get a tad u/steer, its basically very neutral. However, I don't think you need to spend the xtra on the Ledas just for road use.

Old 26 March 2001, 11:08 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi

I have a type RA and yes both the Type R and RA aren't the best in the world for their understeer.

I suggest that you get some Eibach springs and the bumpsteer mod done by Powerstation they are the masters of killing understeer, it works better than the Prodrive settings and decreases tyre wear that the Prodrive settings would give.

Trust me it is the best Handling for £ mod you can do.

SJD
Old 28 March 2001, 11:51 AM
Paul STi 5
Scooby Regular

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Akira:
<B>Paul,

Can't answer your question, but am interested in hearing about the ride quality of your TypeR.

I am also contemplating putting 7.5 x 18" rims on my STI V TypeR but am concerned about ride quality. I know you have changed to Eibach's but did you try on original springs?

Your experienced views would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris.

p.s. what wheel/tyre combo. did you go for?[/quote]

Chris

I've cot 8x18 Raceline RL7. I had to have the rear archs rolled (Prisim motorsport idi a spot-on job)fit them. I started off with standard suspension and 225x35x18 Pirelli P-Zeros, this was okay,but understeared a bit. The ride quality was very good. Then I put on 225x35x18 Falken FK451 so far I have found these better and cheaper. Then went on Eibach springs. Much harder ride,no lower and more understear. So off came 1 coil at the and 1/2 a coil at the front,this was done properly to try and put a bit more weight on the front. Didnt work! the car looks a bit lower, the ride is quite bumpy, but still understears. Ive tried the set up with my standard 16's on bridgestones. Handles real well, but it spins the wheels all the time and just goes sideways (great fun). The wheels are just to small to get the power done. 302bhp.

I hope this helps

Paul